ok, I want a starcaster

Mayflown said:
you're really helping my case there buddy  :eek:ccasion14:

Sorry! Um... Oh, yeah! I remember! I WANNA STARCASTER! <grin>

Although, seriously, if I had a hard-on for a jazz box, I'd be all over an Agile AS-820 or AS-1000.

The AS-1000, at $399 in the box, out the door...

as1000blackflamegoldhw3.jpg
as1000blackflamegoldhw4.jpg
as1000blackflamegoldhw5.jpg

And here's an AS-820 at $349...

as820anat3.jpg
as820anat4.jpg
as820anat5.jpg

Of course, they both come in other colors or with added vibrato bridges.

Michael Bolt-On said:
even the vintage market isn't interested in them.

which is why they're going for 3 - 4 grand?

Where are you getting prices like that? If you're finding them in the listings in the newsprint ads at the back of Vintage Guitar magazine, you should know that those are just masturbatory aids. What people think things are worth, what they ask for them and what they can actually get are at least 2 different things, and usually 3. People will tell you all the time "I got a [insert model here] that's worth [insert fantasy price here]!" Oh, yeah? Anybody ever offered you that for it? Ever tried to sell it at that price?

You can fantasize all you'd like about the value of something, but Ben Franklin said it best: "The worth of a thing is the price it will bring." Anything else is simply fantasy.

Right. They have a lot of them priced in that range, but none sold in that range. In fact, very few sold, period. It seems those who own them believe/wish they were worth a lot and are setting their "reserve price" or "starting bid" accordingly high, only to find out they can't get it. If they didn't set their reserve price high, the things probably would have sold, just not for fantasy prices.

We, The People of the Un. Forum, Declare Ourselves Rightful under Law, Tradition and the Approval of Usebius Potzdilder (of the Scranton Potzdilders) to Forthwithly and Retrowithly be allowed to engage in fantasy... dude. :toothy12:

Doesn't seem to be available with F-holes (big whoop for me, but I think Mayfly wanted them) - and it's a pricey body - but you can get a chambered (would still prefer hollow tho) LPS from the W.  It's actually not far off what I really had in mind myself. Unfortunately, you have to get it with a tremolo bridge if you don't want a TOM derived bridge - no flat top hardtails are available for it.

JaySwear said:
Seriously, it's perfect. A double cutaway, non-carved top, and it's a Fender shape. Isn't that kind of the new-body-shape perfect storm?

At least I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a carved top... If so then how about a flat top AND carved top option?

Hey you guys, how feasable would a "Carved Top (Thinline) JagStang w/"f"hole" be?
It has a similar shape to the starcaster. And I would be happy enough with a token "f" (and the rest chambered) just for the looks.

This one just sold for five grand ... whew.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230623352342&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT#ht_500wt_922

After Ty started the thread on finishing ideas, I really want a Startcaster again.  Anyone else have an idea for one of these?  I was thinking of a Mary Kaye Fiesta Red, bound, Ash body, with a canary neck, and a rosewood board.  I wonder how I'd get the headstock style, but a finished laminated ash veneer head stock on that would rock.
Patrick

You know, i've got a thing in my mind at the moment that's saying a subtle 'pointy headstock' may go well with one of these. Maybe that's just my inner doug... :laughing7:

EDIT: Maybe a KWS style or explorer? Ahem.....Maaax.

I have a feeling that the guy over at offset guitar might be our best bet.

<edit>

You hear me Warmoth?  I'm gonna get the body from (ahem) SOMEONE ELSE!  :icon_tongue: :icon_tongue: :icon_tongue:

Back