ok, I want a starcaster

swarfrat said:
I don't pay a lot of attention to bridge mass, but I'd be willing to entertain notions that it might be more important on a hollowbody.

I have two similar Teles here, where one has a somewhat traditional Tele bridge (the Gotoh unit Warmoth sells) and the other has a brass Scartozi bridge Doug made for me. They both have Graphtech saddles. The brass bridge equipped fiddle is incredibly loud and bright. I mean, seriously. You notice it immediately. There are other differences, but nothing you could attribute the dramatic difference in response to. So, I'm thinking bridge mass/metal type/attachment method is something to consider.

Cagey said:
I have two similar Teles here, where one has a somewhat traditional Tele bridge (the Gotoh unit Warmoth sells) and the other has a brass Scartozi bridge Doug made for me. They both have Graphtech saddles. The brass bridge equipped fiddle is incredibly loud and bright. I mean, seriously. You notice it immediately. There are other differences, but nothing you could attribute the dramatic difference in response to. So, I'm thinking bridge mass/metal type/attachment method is something to consider.

Have you tried the Graphtech Resomax bridge (w/piezo) and if so how does it compare?

Not yet, but I don't think it's going to be as good as the brass one. For one, it sits on posts rather than being bolted right to the body. Then, it's made of some mysterious lightweight alloy (read: aluminum) so there's not much inertia to it. It may sound better than the zinc parts many sell, but I doubt it's a dramatic difference.

Meanwhile, Steve Stevens is putting one piece aluminum wrap-a-round bridges on his pricy signature models, and the forums go all a-twitter about how "real" Les Paul tailpieces are aluminum, and how great that sounds. And the debate rages ever onward between ultra-light titanium Floyd bits and ultra-heavy brass Floyd bits; oftentimes, the debate is in the mind of the very same manufacturer! I guess that's why they made brains with two hemispheres! Whew.

In other news, 2-Tek bridges and the various makers of those single bridge-to-each-string blow their Jerichos dry "proving" that isolating each string provides massive benefits of the whole kerrangin'
blooming
detailed
girthy
meaty
crunchy
grind
growl
boom
balls
ass
dirty
gritty
spanky
muscular
dirty
rich
liquid
natural
transparent

continuum; while G&L, the Schaller 475, and Glendale all hosannah-in-their-pants about locking the saddles side-to-side, because it's like SO proven super-groovy! Oh, look, here's Glen'n'Dale now!:
They are designed so that the ends of the saddles touch. I chose to make them this way because it minimizes movement and helps with the overall sound.

So Hey-ey, guys! No that that's settled, anybody wanna talka 'bout... TONE? :icon_thumright: You know you do.

Talking about tone is like dancing about architecture: you may as well bark at the moon for all the communication that takes place.

You know, Warmoth should totally do a s Starcaster. I don't know if anyone else has suggested it, but it sounds like a good idea.

Hendrix said:
why not a 335 too ?  :headbang:

It's been news for months that Warmoth is no longer allowed to build Gibson style products.  Therefore, no 335.

Mayfly said:
It's been news for months that Warmoth is no longer allowed to build Gibson style products.  Therefore, no 335.

OH , I see .

but why many other builder can still build Gibson style  LP kits or parts ?

Hendrix said:
Mayfly said:

OH , I see .

but why many other builder can still build Gibson style  LP kits or parts ?

They either pay a licensing fee, or they are too small to bother with, or they just haven't received their cease-and-desist letter from Gibson, or they're on the Chinese mainland and don't give a damn.

Back