Oh, Gibson...

hannaugh

Master Member
Gibson:  "Hmm, a lot of people are buying Taylors, Breedloves, and Waldens these days...  What shall we do?"

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/songwriter-deluxe-standard/

this dreadnought-style model is Gibson’s latest acoustic success story,

Given that it hasn't even been released and nobody's bought one, it's kinda hard for me to see how it's already a "success story" - gee, what if it sucks? :icon_scratch: It's like calling a brand new guitar an instant legend or a modern classic or other typical flapdoodlery - gee, I like the English language, I get OFFENDED when igno-pimps try to beat it to death with a club, fortunately they're armed with a limp dinky nerf-club.... buy one and let me know, it's probably an OK guitar at least. Poor Gibson.... :sad1:

Yeah, boring. And that bit about it being a success is just bull#$@%. But I will admit though that I am glad to see large manufacturers trying out a compound radius on an acoustic.

Looks like a fairly nice guitar.  But for four grand (!!!) I can get a Martin D-15 and two Warmoths! :D

Just looks like a regular guitar to me -

now composite acoustics - that's a new idea in guitars!

Well there's something to be said for traditional looks on an acoustic, I think, and nothing wrong with a nice dreadnought. It reads like standard advertising copy, reallly. I always like Gibson's acoustics more in theory than in practice though. Compound radius on an acoustic - do any of you guys do 2 step bends on your flat top at the 12th fret? Utterly pointless, that's why it's not done. A compensated bone nut would have been cool, otoh.

Songwriter Deluxe Standard...  the name itself is an oxymoron.

How 'bout:

Songwriter Semi-Deluxe Quasi-Standard

Songwriter Bonus Typical

Songwriter Double-plus Extra Standard

Songwriter Jumbo Shrimp Edition

Songwriter MAAATT DAAAAMON

My friend got a Songwriter last year. Now it is a great sounding guitar, but it cost him $1,400 and it didn't even come with a pickup. He had to have that installed for another $150. Maybe it's slightly overpriced, but not bad.

So I'm looking at this Songwriter Deluxe, thinking the list is going to be under $2k. Then I click around and find... $4k! Are you kidding? It looks the same as his, but adds compound radius and electronics. I don't get it, Gibson. If the majority of guitarists weren't so uneducated on guitars, you would either (a) have been out of business 20 years ago or (b) be selling your guitars at 1/2 the price with twice the quality.

Well obviously applying the "Gibson" name on the headstock costs them an extra $1000 for every guitar... That's what they would like us to think.

stratplayer1 said:
gibson = overpriced
I like Gibson acoustics, but not for those prices.  I'd rather get a Taylor or a Martin.  For budget guitars Seagull still gets my vote.

Taylors are quite pricey as well. I mean, you get crap back & sides (ovankol or sapele) until you get near $2k. Maybe these are supposed to be good woods, but any guitar I've ever played with either of those woods sound utterly rubbish. Especially the sapele---that stuff is horrible!

The $1200 Taylor at my local music store is one of the nicest sounding acoustics I've ever heard... I like it better than some of the $3k Martins they have there.  So I'm not sure what you're smoking.

I'm thinking about buying a Taylor.  Gibson's reluctance to reach out to most musicians with their prices has always angered me.  There is so much more out there with the same quality for less $.

hannaugh said:
The $1200 Taylor at my local music store is one of the nicest sounding acoustics I've ever heard... I like it better than some of the $3k Martins they have there.  So I'm not sure what you're smoking.

I've played several Rosewood/Cedar and Rosewood/Spruce Taylors and they sound absolutely gorgeous. Played in a band for a while with a buddy that had the Rosewood/Cedar guitar and I played that thing every time he let me get my hands on it. But I just can't stand the sound of their Ovangkol or Sapele sided guitars. One of my friends has a Sapele one now and it's sound just repulses me. The top end sounds fake and not warm enough. I actually like the sound of my old Rosewood/Spruce Takamine ($700) better... although the Taylor does play much, much, much better!

Wow.  If you didn't see the headstock, you'd think it's a Martin.  It's probably a fine sounding instrument.

If I'm gonna spend that kinda money though, a Martin D-35 is still cheaper.

Love taylors, but I find them to be a bit too bright.  Actually they're really good guitars for recording.

Back