Oh, Gibson...

taez555 said:
Wow.   If you didn't see the headstock, you'd think it's a Martin.  It's probably a fine sounding instrument.

If I'm gonna spend that kinda money though, a Martin D-35 is still cheaper.

Love taylors, but I find them to be a bit too bright.  Actually they're really good guitars for recording.

Maple-backed Taylors are too bright for me, but the Rosewood (especially with a Cedar top) is an absolutely gorgeous, warm, yet clear high-end.

I've loved everything I've played in the professional range that Taylor makes, especially the 12 string.  It sounds freaking gorgeous. 

At the Frethouse in Covina I found a used 510 (in immaculate condition) for the same price as a new 310, and I really want it, but I still ain't got the cash. 

I've got a Taylor 510 which is very nice, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss some of their cheaper wood. I play with a guy that has an Ovangkol 410 and that guitar sounds really good. Looks a little greenish for me, but the sound is very nice.

If I were shopping for one right now, I'd probably be looking very seriously at Breedlove.

tfcreative said:
I've got a Taylor 510 which is very nice, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss some of their cheaper wood. I play with a guy that has an Ovangkol 410 and that guitar sounds really good. Looks a little greenish for me, but the sound is very nice.

If I were shopping for one right now, I'd probably be looking very seriously at Breedlove.

I nearly mentioned Breedlove being a great alternative. Played with a guy that had one and it was a fabulous guitar for under $1k. With the Taylors though, you need to get into the 500 series before I like them.

My boss has a Breedlove.  I like their stuff too, but I think the Taylor wins out on the comfort factor for me.  They both sound quite nice though. 

As a hijack (HI, JACK!) you know, acoustic guitars need a good setup and fret-end-rounding just as much as electric guitars. You don't need to pay $1000 more for a decent setup.... you are buying fret size and neck shape (and hopefully not a WARPED neck :dontknow:) but action height and simple comfort adjustments are cheap incidentals - almost FREE incidentals once you figure out that making a bone saddle is even easier than making a nut. Well, a nut blank is like $8 or so.
When someone conflates "plays like buttah" with spending $1000's, you know that neither one of those will ever do them any good. :sad1: :guitaristgif: :cool01:

As far as silly high end Acoustic's go James Goodall makes beautiful stuff.

I misread a price tag at Mass St. Music in Lawrence and spent about 15 minutes with one before I figured out it was a $5000 guitar.

absolutely beautiful  :icon_thumright:  if I ever win the lottery......

stubhead said:
As a hijack (HI, JACK!) you know, acoustic guitars need a good setup and fret-end-rounding just as much as electric guitars. You don't need to pay $1000 more for a decent setup.... you are buying fret size and neck shape (and hopefully not a WARPED neck :dontknow:) but action height and simple comfort adjustments are cheap incidentals - almost FREE incidentals once you figure out that making a bone saddle is even easier than making a nut. Well, a nut blank is like $8 or so.
When someone conflates "plays like buttah" with spending $1000's, you know that neither one of those will ever do them any good. :sad1: :guitaristgif: :cool01:

My $450 acoustic plays extremely comfortably. The $ks are for solid wood and amazing sound.  And I'm saying I'd choose a Taylor neck shape over a Breedlove neck shape, but they are pretty much in the same price range.  Tanglewoods are real nice too. 

The Taylor neck shape is very tough to beat indeed, but I've been impressed by the tone of Breedloves of late; specifically their lower end models that sound better than the price tag suggests. About a year ago I played around with a 4str fretless acoustic bass for a while before I even realized it was an Atlas series. It was a great instrument for $800. Probably not as good as a hard-to-find Taylor A-4, but it was $800...

I spend a long time at the Breedlove booth at NAMM.  Some of the new stuff was really fantastic.  I wish their electrics didn't start at 3K.

Holy ****!  I hope this isn't the real price.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c600--Paul_Reed_Smith--6_String_Acoustic_Guitars

I suppose I haven't seen them in person, so I should reserve judgment. I looked on the Breedlove site and I really wanted to like them, but they just look weird to me.

Back