Odie’s Oil

Anyone here tried Odie’s Oil? Claims to be non-toxic enough to use with bare hands and no ventilation. Food grade for cutting boards etc., but tough enough for outdoor items. Soaks in with no surface thickness after wiping off and buffing. MSDS says no toxic effects unless it’s burned. Also comes in thinner or wax versions; pigments available. Uses food grade D-limonene as solvent, but ingredient proportions not listed. Claims good finish with 1-3 applications, with 24hrs and no sanding in between. I’ve previously used pure Tung oil, but it sets way too slowly. Tried polymerized Tung oil, but it’s 50% mineral oil, so a respirator is still required.
Thanks in advance, Charlie

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 3
One or two folks have used it. Perhaps do a forum search, and you will find some threads mentioning or using it.

Never used it. As finish es go tung oil isn't that bad, also look into Tru oil. I put on with my naked finger.

Thanks guys. On search one mention of Odie’s oil, but no report on resultant finish. Tru-oil has over 50% mineral oil, so gloves, respirator and well ventilated shop needed. Found a u-tube video though. The regular oil has a consistency of honey; less viscous version easier for larger surfaces; dark version very good for darker woods and increased contrast on figured wood. Instructions on Odie website have interesting combinations of using their oil and wax versions in different combinations. Decided to try the dark versions on roasted swamp ash, roasted maple and walnut. Might be awhile, but I’ll post some before and after photos. I did run into a friend who used Odie’s on a live-edge, round coffee table. He reported ease of use, a fairly durable surface and a fresh lemon smell.
Charlie

I can tell you from first hand experience with tru oil you don't need gloves, just a clean index finger for dipping and wiping, and if you have a well ventilated room, you don't need a respirator. You'll be fine. I guarantee. I'll just note, it's not mineral oil, it's mineral spirits.

I will be interested in seeing how this Odie's works out. Take lots of pictures.

Yes, mineral spirits not oil; my bad. But, mineral spirits is a more refined paint thinner with fewer aromatics; smells better and not as toxic. Everyone has their own risk level. Might not be noticeable as a health risk short term, but does contain carcinogens with additive long-term affects. As an old fart with massive exposures in the past I feel like being extra careful. Still remember my dad giving me gasoline to wash my hands after we ran out of paint thinner.

Definitely taking more pictures of next projects.

I'll just say, don't put the stuff in your eyes, work in a ventilated area and you should be good.

Back