Darkening Tru-Oil?

TheVelvetBulldozer

Hey everyone,

It’s been 2 months since I completed my guitar finish, and I’m happy with it but, not completely, as there is still room for improvement. I finished the body with Wudtone TV Girl finish with gold highlights, and the colour is great, it just needs more gloss. So I’m going to put several more top layer finishes after rubbing the body with 0000 Steel wool.

The maple neck needs improvement. It’s too matte, I’d love more gloss, and I wish it were darker (or more “orange”) so there would be more contrast with the golden yellow body. I finished it with ColorFX amber and orange dyes and put finished with Tru-Oil. I’m going to rub the neck with the steel wool too, so I can add more tru oil for more gloss. However, I was thinking, with these “extra” coats of tru oil, maybe I can darken the first one so the neck would be more amber and darker, then just add more tru-oil for gloss?

If I can do this, what should I add to it to make the tru oil darker (give it darker amber colour)? I saw someone put dye in tung oil then acetone, and it worked, but I don’t know if I’m using the same type of dye and whether it applies to a neck that already has coats on it (he was using bare wood).

Here’s the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSo5IXHtM3U
Here’s the dye I’m using: https://www.woodessence.com/Dyes-Pigments/ColorFX-Dye-Concentrates/ColorFX-Dye-Individual-Bottles

I heard Trans Tint works great… but I don’t have any. I live in Canada, I can’t find any locally or nearby. If someone has some extra that I can buy from, or you know a site, please let me know. Thanks!
:yourock:

Good news, I think the dye I’m using is the “trans tint” equivalent for Canada.

Transtint description: “Homestead’s TransTint® Dyes are a solution of metal-complex dyes in a special solvent that offers the finisher many unique options in applying the colors.”

Wood Essence ColorFX: “ColorFX Liquid Dye Concentrates are solutions of metal-complex dyes in a special solvent that offers the finisher many unique options in applying these dyes. Available in Canada through Wood Essence!”

Hilariously close  :laughing11: :laughing3: :laughing8:!!!!

I went to StewMac to see if they used the same text for their ColorTone rebrands, but they wisely changed the text :D (but still charge around $10/bottle more.... )

The way I did it was to keda dye the wood first. Made a wonderful amber and popped the bird's eyes.  Put tru oil on top.  Stained darker the first pass, and this got into the eyes, sanded, then second pass was more golden.

index.php

Back