Obscure music you want everyone to hear.

I couldn't manage to listen to that the whole way through...are they basically an out of practice Spinal Tap?

couple of interesting bits for you all

psyopus (very fast technical music) first album is better than the other 2

behold.....the acrtopus (quite like the above but instrumental-- interesting enough to hold your attention rapt)

bongripper (instrumental stoner doom) - very good stuff but quite heavy  notable release entitled great barrier reefer jokingly refered to as an EP (its an hour ish long)

also sunn 0))) were mentioned earlier -- very good band ive seen them live and its something every guitar fan should do once however bring earplugs as it will be very very loud

Illinois is great, though I don't really count Sufjan as all that obscure anymore. "Casimir Pulaski Day" brings me to tears. Need to listen to the new stuff too...!

The California Guitar Trio is the most successful group to emerge from Guitar Craft and they've done some amazing stuff. Three acoustic guitarists playing in new standard tuning doing Pink Floyd, Bach, surf hits, originals, Guitar Craft repertoire and more. Amazing players.

Ed Harcourt is not particularly obscure, but I think he's the most well known here in Europe. A singer/songwriter with definite Tom Waits tendencies, only a bit rockier and not as carnivaly (and with a completely different voice, obviously...). Plays both guitar, piano and banjo. Many fine songs and someone I actually shook hands with once (complete with emabassing fanboy blithering of nonsense, oh yes).

Hm. I have never heard of that. Sounds interesting...maybe I'll tune up one of my guitars like that to see what comes of it.

exalted said:
I couldn't manage to listen to that the whole way through...are they basically an out of practice Spinal Tap?

they were BEFORE spinal tap...:)  their movie was released roughly at the same time as spinal tap, however these guys are way funnier! the actors are legends! (Rik Mayal, Adrian Edmundson, Nigel Planer. AKA young ones, and later Bottom)

I kept a guitar set up in New Standard Tuning around for a couple of years, but I just don't have time to give it justice - there's a whole lot there, and some kids are definitely going to latch on to it and take it somewhere, but you'd have to give it the 4 to 6 hours a day that any new instrument deserves and I just don't have that to spare.

(low to high: CGDAEG, it's fifths ascending except for the high G, which ought to be a B if you can get a .004" string to work for you).

Xplorervoodoo said:
Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band (I'm NOT kidding, that is their name)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Related to the above - a spinoff if you will)
Sunn O)))
David Meshow (somewhat of a YouTube celebrity)

Plenty of creativity/weirdness there...  I can probably think of more, but it's easier when I'm at home.

Godspeed is the greatest band ever!!!!

not sure how obscure they are but id say any fugazi record, televisions marquee moon ive just gotten into, and early dillinger escape plan (running board, calculating infinity) and aphex twin

check out my radio station, WFZR.net

http://www.wfzr.net/radio/playing.php

lots of variety - the familar mixed with the not so familar (to me anyway).

Oceansize are sadly unheard of in the States and ignored by the mainstream everywhere else.  Unfortunate as they are one of the best rock bands out there today.  3 guitars weaving in and out of fairly complex compositions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lmavAbTJ9g&feature=related

Their fellow mancunians, Amplifier, are also worthy of a listen.

Oceansize is great, followed them for a couple of years now! After I heard Catalyst I couldn't stop:D

I'd have to say Porcupine Tree, they deserve way better! Can't wait to see them in october :party07:

Superlizard said:
I'd have to go with a little band out of England called "Led Zeppelin".
Oh, I think I've heard of them. They fancy themselves the New Yardbirds, right?

Not sure if this classifies as obscure everywhere or just bush Alberta, but...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Lk5NU0XQw[/youtube]

They damn well rock.  Went to see them Saturday, very good show!  Really personable guys too.

Back