Obscure music you want everyone to hear.

Tonar8352

I was getting ready to start working on guitars this morning and threw an oldie album from 1974 in by a band call the Good Rats titled “Tasty”.  I got to thinking how many people are not aware of this great band but should give it a listen so thus this thread.
Who do you think we should all give a listen to?  Here is my short list; some more obscure than others.

Good Rats-Tasty
Tommy Bolin-Teaser
Jean-Luc Ponty – Enigmatic Ocean (Great electric violin and some guy named Alan Holdsworth on guitar)
Bola Sete- Ocean
Roy Buchanan- Thats What I'm Here For.
Danny Gatton- 88 Elmira St.
Hellecasters- The Return Of The Hellecasters.

+1 on Jean-Luc Ponty.  I haven't listened to it in years, but I used to have a Ponty/Grappelli album that was awesome. 

If I'm gonna get up on a soap box for any artist though, it's gonna be Andrew Bird.  He's finally getting to the point where some people know who he is, and some people probably wouldn't give him a chance because he mixes the genres up so much that people who are only into rock might not like him, since he is rock AND jazz AND folk AND classical all at the same time.  But seriously, when he plays live, I get this feeling like I am very very lucky to have the priviledge of witnessing what he does because he is so incredibly talented. 

Most of my favorite bands right now are indie, so I guess they're kind of obscure.  It's kind of hard for me to gauge what is obscure and what isn't though because I don't listen to the radio or watch much tv... or read magazines... or leave my apartment unless I have to go to work.  Wow, I need to get out more. 

Tommy Bolin shouldn't be as obscure as he is, but then most people don't realize he played on everything from Billy Cobham "Spectrum" to Deep Purple's last album; his REALLY obscure album would be the self titled Zephyr with Candy Givens, what ever happened to her?

grounds for divorce- elbow.

idk how many people have given jeff buckley a listen either. I just recently discovered his stuff.

drake bell also has some great music, despite his nickelodeon kiddy image.

Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra and Tra-la-la Band (I'm NOT kidding, that is their name)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor (Related to the above - a spinoff if you will)
Sunn O)))
David Meshow (somewhat of a YouTube celebrity)

Plenty of creativity/weirdness there...  I can probably think of more, but it's easier when I'm at home.

NLD09 said:
grounds for divorce- elbow.

idk how many people have given jeff buckley a listen either. I just recently discovered his stuff.

drake bell also has some great music, despite his nickelodeon kiddy image.

+1 on Elbow.  The Seldom Seen Kid is an amazing album in general.

Does everyone already know Sufjan Steven's Illinois? If not, it's a delightful album. John Wayne Gacy, Jr., Chicago, and Concerning the UFO Sighting... are all must-hears.

And while the band itself isn't obscure, I had never heard most of Blind Melon's songs until recently - I was absolutely blown away. No Rain is sludge compared to Time, St. Andrew's Fall, Mouthful of Cavities, I Wonder, Soul One, Walk....jeeze, just buy their whole 'best of' album. It's obscenely good.

not guitar music. But amazing stuff regardless.
This guy's name is Ed Harrison and as far as i can tell this double album is the only thing his name is attached to.  You probably wouldn't have heard of this guy at all unless you were a half life nerd, but this indie soundtrack of his is amazing.

http://www.neotokyohq.com/music.html

I would have to suggest "Sleepwalking," an album by British indie/pop/rock band Kingmaker. There's just some really good stuff on there. Also anything by Bracket, an American punk band that do some really cool vocal melodies, harmonies and chord changes.

exalted said:
Does everyone already know Sufjan Steven's Illinois? If not, it's a delightful album. John Wayne Gacy, Jr., Chicago, and Concerning the UFO Sighting... are all must-hears.

And while the band itself isn't obscure, I had never heard most of Blind Melon's songs until recently - I was absolutely blown away. No Rain is sludge compared to Time, St. Andrew's Fall, Mouthful of Cavities, I Wonder, Soul One, Walk....jeeze, just buy their whole 'best of' album. It's obscenely good.

Illinois is one of my all time favorites.  I really enjoy most of his albums, but that one is a real standout. 

I painted a picture of Sufjan for a project, and I sent a print of it to Asthmatic Kitty, and they sent me an Illinois t shirt and a free copy of Enjoy Your Rabbit.  They gave the print to Sufjan's stepdad for Christmas. 

Listened the first 2 songs from the Roy Buchanan album and bought it, but it shall arrive in 3-6 weeks :sad:

I'm going to have to say Jazz Fusion is becoming a dying art nowadays.

One of my favorite albums of all time is "The Good News and the Bad News" by the Rainmakers.  I love the clever witty lyrics.  Sunna's "One Minute Science" is a good one also.

I though everybody knew about Danny Gatton & Roy Buchanan and the Hellecasters. Gee, I need to stay in more.... :toothy11:

shanejw said:
One of my favorite albums of all time is "The Good News and the Bad News" by the Rainmakers. 

I love Bad News!! their version if Bohemian Rhapsody is classic!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wM58YXp2x0

Back