Nut Width- Does It Really Make a Difference?

LooseCannon

Hey guys. I've been trying a lot of guitars today with 42mm and 43mm nut widths, and didn't really notice a difference in feel and comfortability.

Is a 1mm difference really noticable? Is it just me or does anyone else feels the same?

Thanks

Short answer from me - it makes a huge difference.

But everyone is different.  YMMV.

For me, I don't think it does make a difference - I've got that many guitars now (which I'm sure vary in nut width) that I just pick the up and play. No doubt I am making an adjustment here and there but it's not noticeable.

I wouldn't say it's a black & white difference, but a grey one. I really like the 1 11/16 nut because I have big hands. That little extra bit of string spacing keeps me from accidentally touching more strings than I want while playing open chords. But I have many 1 5/8 necks that I can play just as well.

Death by Uberschall said:
I really like the 1 11/16 nut because I have big hands.

you know what they say about guys with big hands.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>

The like big nuts........and wear big gloves...... :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

dmraco said:
Death by Uberschall said:
I really like the 1 11/16 nut because I have big hands.

you know what they say about guys with big hands.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>

The like big nuts........and wear big gloves...... :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8: :laughing8:

:doh:

I find it easier to play this kind of stuff with a 1 5/8 inch nut...
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0_CbmNjAlk[/youtube]
and to play this kind of stuff with a 1 3/4 inch nut....
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0MF8pwktg&feature=related[/youtube]

Yes...but you quickly get used to either.  I have a kramer pacer with an r2 that I have been playing alot.  I then recently switched to my Heartfield r3 and it felt very wide compared to the r2.  But after a couple of hours I got used to the r3.  Just depends on what you want.  You can't make a wrond decision with either.  More parts readily available for r3 and 1 11/16 is more common anymore so fwiw.

I think it makes big difference... I would suggest to get the 1-11/16" or 1-3/4" if you play very hard, like Mr SRV that rockstate 4x posted here :) If you're one of these melodic metal guys, who play very fast but very soft, the small nut won't be bad... Why I say it? because if you play hard the E and e strings tend to go out of the neck and freak everything... I'm with the 1-11/16" on my Tele, but thinking in try a 1-3/4" someday but with the same lengh of strings in the nut... Just more fret to make vibratos, etc....

Back