Now I know why my tone will never be right....

exalted said:
...if you were a multi-millionaire, it would be worth spending a few bucks over just to SEE...right?

Uh, hell no.  I wouldn't send this guy a penny.  Unless my lawyers reliably informed me that buying his product and then suing his ass I could put him out of business.   :headbang1:

As I'm not a millionaire I'll settle for badmouthing him on the web.   :tard:

his starting bid is the same as the buy it now price - maybe he's hoping people will want to pay MORE than he's asking for it :laughing7:

With the reappearance of Chauvet, I've toned down my original post on this guy.  Thanks for the perspective  :doh: :doh: :doh:

On first glance, I thought he was selling the grill cloth from the front of a Marshall used by both Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix...:tard:

Let's keep an eye on this one; if someone is stupid enough to buy it, Doug needs to make a "0001" neckplate to put on one of Tonar's 2-tone bursts and we'll sell it to him as the the long-lost "original" 54 Strat and have a party with the 6 figure proceeds...

jackthehack said:
Let's keep an eye on this one; if someone is stupid enough to buy it, Doug needs to make a "0001" neckplate to put on one of Tonar's 2-tone bursts and we'll sell it to him as the the long-lost "original" 54 Strat and have a party with the 6 figure proceeds...
Pfft... 6 figure? Let's do 7 or 8/

Mebbe Chauvet can give us the name of the guy who bought his shitty strat for 65 grand.

I don't know who is worse; people like the seller, or any potential buyers...

I'm all for being conscientious about tone. But I'd like to think there's a limit somewhere, a line, if you will, and on the other side of it, well, you're insane.

I've heard hilarious yet terrifying stories about Eric Johnson's OCD making for six hour soundchecks. We're talking speaker cabinet backplate screws getting 1/4 turns or swapping out 1 brass screw for nickel, etc. And for what?

I play my Warmoths through Line 6 Gearbox and my computer at home. On the rare occasions I gig, the backline is provided by the club. There's no sense getting anal (I said it) about my tone. If it's audible and in tune, I've got 90% of taken care of. The people out front may or may not like the band or the music.

But no one has ever come up to me after a gig admonishing me about my poor awareness of picofarads, choice of wire covering, or the absolute necessity of nitro finishes.

It's usually more along the lines of "You rock!" or "You suck!", and more than occasionally both coming from the same (drunk) person.

If a seller can get a buyer to fork over money for this kind of idiocy, then God bless them. I'm just not going to be one of the people holding the flatware.

I'm also not going to be holding back my opinion on what a bunch of self-important, idiotic horsesh*t is getting shoveled by the sellers.

These people deserve each other. 

jackthehack said:

I thought David Gilmour has strat 0001 in his collection, anyway if I remember correctly at the time Fender serial numbers were non sequential so 0001 might actually be a fairly late example.  :icon_tongue:

As an aside if the cloth is so massively important to tone, what does the metal grill over the speaker in the 1x12" H/H PA cab I use as with my old WEM amp do to the tone? introduce more treble frequencies perhaps? ;)

Nick Ellingworth said:
jackthehack said:

I thought David Gilmour has strat 0001 in his collection, anyway if I remember correctly at the time Fender serial numbers were non sequential so 0001 might actually be a fairly late example.  :icon_tongue:

Correct, David Gilmour did own-  last I read - the 0001 Strat. A bland white instrument, anodized gold pickguard and not the first Strat ever made.
dave54strat.jpg

tfarny said:
THE TOUCH:  Because the air is being forced into a tighter sonic space, pressurized dampening causes a slowing of “cone reaction speed.” This creates a subtle breathing effect as resistance builds with hard/ fast playing and releases as you relax the speed or attack of your phrase. THE AIR PRESSURE IS CONTINUOSLY CHANGING AS EACH NOTE DECAYS!

The Ebayer might have been smoking some 'cones' when he typed this!  :tard: :icon_thumright:

OzziePete said:
Nick Ellingworth said:
jackthehack said:

Correct, David Gilmour did own-  last I read - the 0001 Strat. A bland white instrument, anodized gold pickguard and not the first Strat ever made.
dave54strat.jpg

All NOT correct... The "#0001" Strat belonging to Gilmour is referred to as such, but it's HIS "0001". It's a modded '57.

IIRC, Gilmour calls his Strat # 1 because it was the first Strat imported to England.

You know, the right grill cloth does make a difference.  I have a 2x12 cab made out of a decommissioned Peavey Classic from the early '80s with a Grillcloth I made out of a peice of art I bought at a booth in the KC Rivermarket in '94.  I loaded the cab with a pair of Eminance Cannibas Rex speakers, put a few peices of wood th close up the back and hole where the chassis would have stuck out and... well.. it works great. 

I swear that when the groove is really good, you can see the people in the image actually dance.  And then the notes really sing with a lush decay and pristine top end that no other rig exactly like this one could attain if it tried.  For reals y'all.
l_989e6abc0540b7f8970b9a5bd26c45e6.jpg

Back