I was bored over my Summer holidays, so I decided to try design a guitar...

Axkoa

I'll preface this post with saying that I have almost absolutely NO chance of building this guitar soon, within a year or two, as I'm currently a first year University student studying Engineering that has no job...  :help:

So after I finished up some work repairing brass instruments over my (too long) holidays I got bored during the wait between the end of working and the start of University, so I decided to try my hand at designing a guitar. I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff so many hours were sunk into researching as well as lots of guessing work...and tedious times learning eMachineShop.

The first thing that I did was sketch up something that I wanted the end result to look somewhat like. I've been lusting over offset guitars since I started playing guitar so I decided to try design one of them, something that 2 years of Senior graphics at school helped me with... I'm pretty sure the day that I started drawing this up I had visited a guitar store and had a try at one of Fender's new Orange Duo-Sonics, so I was just a little bit influenced by that day out. Mainly with the colour of the guitar and the scale length of it, which I actually really enjoyed playing, it just felt right. I also really enjoyed playing with the maple fretboard, which contrasted nicely with the orange of the guitar. But anyway, here is my original (very) rough sketch with some of the potential specs I would have with it:

U80aP5E.jpg

Most of the hardware and woods I had done a little bit of research on that's why they're not your typical mahogany, ash, maple etc. That kind of stuff is too expensive to source in Australia.  :laughing11:

After this I decided to try out making this in a newly downloaded free program "eMachineShop". After taking some (lots) time to work out how the hell to work the program I came up with a somewhat version of that sketch I had done in an electronic form.

R531Cml.png

Even without consulting anyone, I knew how dodgy and amateur this looked, so I decided for a change with the pickguard, pickups, controls, bridge...pretty much everything with the shape except the scale length...I decided to go with a Les Paul sort of layout.

A0HIoK7.png

Now THIS looks a lot better than that version before. Mainly because of my use of actual dimensions for most of the stuff. After this I decided to try out using paint.net and give it some colour. Between the stages I decided to modify it a little bit and put a Trapeze tailpiece on it as well as having it be double bound with cream binding, ALSO with a cream Les Paul style pickguard.

weYyGlf.jpg

I was a lot happier with this than I was when it didn't have the whole tailpiece, there was just something about the back that made it look odd...I guess that's the whole point of your own opinion, making stuff look good whether its really NEEDED or not.  :toothy12:

But there was just something about this body that didn't really appeal to me super much. It didn't have enough of an offset for my liking as well as looking a little too...well...mainstream? So I went and did an overhaul this morning and came up with something, that I think, looked incredibly unique and amazing, but I may be a bit biased... :laughing7:

This new design actually borrowed a little bit off of a Jazz bass, and you'll see why in a sec. However, I much prefer this new design, it's a lot longer so I can have a longer tailpiece and have it not look as fat as it did beforehand, something that really didn't appeal to me.

So without further ado, my final (as of now) design (without the pickguard cause I can't be bothered going and getting a snipping of the version I have with one)!

LT7mOlp.png

One of the major things with this design, I guess, is the fact that I changed the scale length to 24.25" instead of 24"...I'm not entirely sure why I did this besides the fact that I thought it would suit Rock, which this guitar is aimed at, more. Though you can definitely see the influence of the jazz bass with this though, the bottom left hand side of the guitar really sticks out like a Jazz bass, and I've always loved the butt of a Jazz bass.  :turtle:

I decided to go have it go under the same procedure as the other design I had, the precarious paint.net surgery...

X2xB9nA.png

Well here we are! The essential final design. One thing I changed was the fretboard because I wanted to have a bound fretboard to match with the body of the guitar. Chrome with cream hardware still looks really nice with the "Surf Orange", as I'm dubbing it. I've got the new pickguard in there as well but I'm not 100% sure of it yet... I put a lot more effort into the design of this current version of it than I had the original, but that makes sense doesn't it?

The last thing I did was print it out to scale and sticky tape it together which gives me a proper idea of the scale of the guitar. Without a doubt it's shorter than my other guitar scale length-wise, however it has a longer body, which I don't really mind. So here is the picture of it in real-life:

4ku13nN.jpg

So yeah, that's my personal design process. I'm interested as to what you guys think of the process and the final design of this guitar, so it would be awesome if you could leave some thoughts, or even some constructive criticism, I don't mind!

Thanks for reading!  :headbang:

Very cool! A good thing you were bored!
I kinda liked the first version you came up with best.
I think I have to get my hands on that program you found and try designing a body myself.
Good job, Axkoa :icon_thumright: :eek:ccasion14:

That's a fun process to follow. You're doing this right. Then by making a full-sized rendition to hang on the wall, you will manifest the real one from that. Keep the fire lit and there will be a fine guitar in place of that one day.

I also slightly prefer the earlier body shape but only because it's balanced more like one of my favorite Fenders, the Toronado. The final, mind you, is a good design.

Thanks everyone.

Yeah that lower half of the body is still a little undecided on that final version. I feel like it should be a bit more extended on the right side but in person I can barely see any difference and it sorta works out.

Mate there's more thought in that than the guitar I actually ordered! Would be dead keen to follow a build with Australian wood. There are a few local builders that make acoustics in native woods, like the Tasmanian Sassafras beauty below, but I'm not aware of any electrics.

dsc00810.jpg

Interestingly enough I have a Tasmanian Sassafras pen that I bought while down in Hobart (Capital of Tasmania).

PGLTTCd.jpg

One really cool thing down there is just how big handmade wood things are. I went to a markets one day and every 4th or 5th store was someone selling handmade bowls, cutting boards, pepper mills. Tons of Sassafras, Huon Pine, Tasmanian Blackwood. It was really cool

I've always loved Huon pine but money and worry about old growth logging have held me back. When I was in the Huon Valley I spent hours just wandering through all the furniture shops in a daze. Make a guitar out of that!

Although then it couldn't be orange...

I tried out just then, before I head into Uni, to make the lower bout a bit more even compared to the other side.

HSmo0Ke.png

Thoughts?

T89Rex said:
I've always loved Huon pine but money and worry about old growth logging have held me back. When I was in the Huon Valley I spent hours just wandering through all the furniture shops in a daze. Make a guitar out of that!

Although then it couldn't be orange...

Take a look at https://www.guitartimbers.com/, they have some pretty awesome looking Australian woods, at decent prices as well. This Camphor Laurel body is $90 AUD and it doesn't make me feel bad because Camphor Laurel is an invasive species for us  :blob7:

https://www.guitartimbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/IMAG1102.jpg

That company has some pretty cool top woods as well, Huon Pine!

https://www.guitartimbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/IMAG1253.jpg

Edit: The two images aren't working but they're pretty, trust me.  :icon_thumright:

Axkoa said:
I tried out just then, before I head into Uni, to make the lower bout a bit more even compared to the other side.

HSmo0Ke.png

Thoughts?
Better still. That evens it out. Print it. Hang it on the wall.  :icon_thumright:

I would probably make it a bit fatter on the bottom and thinner on the top. Of course, if you take everyone's suggestions you'll probably end up with something that looks like every other guitar out there. I like how unique it is and I especially like the tailpiece - that really brings it together for me!

WF

Very cool. I definitely was picking up the Mustang/Duo-Sonic vibe from the early iterations, but it's grown into it's own thing. I love the trapeze tailpiece. Of course a Bigsby B5 would be pretty hot too... Please do make updates when there's updates to make, I hope to see it in your hand eventually!  :icon_thumright:

Verne Bunsen said:
Very cool. I definitely was picking up the Mustang/Duo-Sonic vibe from the early iterations, but it's grown into it's own thing. I love the trapeze tailpiece. Of course a Bigsby B5 would be pretty hot too... Please do make updates when there's updates to make, I hope to see it in your hand eventually!  :icon_thumright:

I was thinking another version with TV Jones pickups and a Bigsby B7. No binding or pickguard.

Back