Not your father's tele

Rich

I don't post very often, but I just finished my second build and thought I'd share some of my ideas and processes with you all. My first build turned out well and it has been my favorite guitar ever since. You can catch that here: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25883.0 A nice korina strat slab with wenge barritone neck.

For this build, I wanted something different and I wanted it "blue-ish" but not your typical blue. I wanted this guitar to look stressed, weathered, patina'd, washed up on the shore, bleached blue look with natural wood grains showing through, that got hit by lightning. Here's the thing, I wanted it Walnut. I like heavy woods.

35905868850_f15866e28a_b.jpg

36133038922_5d3dfddd6e_b.jpg

Walnut is DARK. So...

I fractal (lichtenberg) burned the sides as my own version of "binding" which can be seen in action here:

https://vimeo.com/227682277

Then I bleached the entire thing and dyed it blue.

36166635491_18688376e8_b.jpg

36299413455_becbcd77ef_b.jpg

36299420775_7fa1ce79ed_b.jpg

35493936633_fc005c58c1_b.jpg

35905915390_9d7b637264_b.jpg

35905912390_de7cc08957_b.jpg

Went with 4-5 coats of vinyl sealer and flat nitro for the finish.

For the neck, I chose ALL Roasted Maple modern construction with 10-16 radius, earvana nut, black binding with moon glow side dots, stainless steel frets, black pearloid night swan fret inlays, and gold grover locking tuners.

Kinman Broadcasters and harness, Babicz Full Contact bridge "paired with" lol the 1 degree maple stewmac shim in the neck pocket to boot. Stained the trimmed edge of the shim with some coffee to match roasted maple. Icing on the cake was the gator skin pick guard and matching strap. I set her up to perfection and she plays and sounds bad ass. Hope you guys like it!

37065671390_4a1791278b_b.jpg

37321861181_f29cdc9f63_b.jpg

37292219952_d796fd4f88_b.jpg

37321851701_e061407cfc_b.jpg

That is one stunning Tele!  :eek:  I like the weathered blue and the Lichtenberg figure detail on the edge.  Kind of reminds me of an old blue wooden beach chair that somebody left out for 20 years (or in a hurricane).  Nice work!  :icon_thumright:

Normally not a fan of gold hardware, but every time I see it on a build on this forum, people make it work. 

Gorgeous work, and one-of-a-kind to be sure.  Congrats on a wonderfully realized vision.  Long may you twang!

That's really beautiful. The finish is outstanding. Love the fractal work, too. Yep, not yer father's Tele, for sure. :icon_thumright:

That is extremely cool. Every detail serves to enhance it. Like the angled switch. Perfect. :icon_thumright:

that is AWESOME - I must try this on a build. I love that burn

Yes! Do be careful, im throwing 20,000 volts roughly, but I wired up a neat rig with a switch and "on" light for warning. Always remember to power down before rewetting with your baking soda solution.

I drove finishing nails into the dead center of the sides every 6 inches, and burned section by section. If you didn't catch the link, here is a video of me burning it:

https://vimeo.com/227682277    <not sure how to embed that

Thanks for all the kind words. I tinkered with this build, taking my time and contemplating each little aspect, for over 8 weeks and it paid off. This build came out sounding so good, its got me wanting to revisit my first build and upgrade a few things like pickups etc...

Anyway, if anyone has any questions on anything I'll be glad to help.
Fat Pete said:
It is a very cool effect. Please try to avoid electrocution.
swarfrat said:
that is AWESOME - I must try this on a build. I love that burn

timezon3 said:
Wowza, awesome results!

TZ
TBurst Std said:
Awesome build.
stratamania said:
Great job  :eek:ccasion14:
DarkPenguin said:
Extremely neat.
Logrinn said:
That is extremely cool. Every detail serves to enhance it. Like the angled switch. Perfect. :icon_thumright:
Rgand said:
That's really beautiful. The finish is outstanding. Love the fractal work, too. Yep, not yer father's Tele, for sure. :icon_thumright:
AirCap said:
The alligator pickguard MAKES that axe. Very cool.
Bagman67 said:
Gorgeous work, and one-of-a-kind to be sure.  Congrats on a wonderfully realized vision.  Long may you twang!
Sovereign_13 said:
That is one stunning Tele!  :eek:  I like the weathered blue and the Lichtenberg figure detail on the edge.  Kind of reminds me of an old blue wooden beach chair that somebody left out for 20 years (or in a hurricane).  Nice work!  :icon_thumright:

Normally not a fan of gold hardware, but every time I see it on a build on this forum, people make it work. 

That is AMAZING and GORGEOUS!  Truly unique and GOTM worthy.

I just have one question about the 1 degree shim.  I have used those Stew mac shims before, even the 1 degree.  They are always paper thin at the end of the neck joint, with the thick end down by the bottom of the pocket to achieve an upward tilt of the neck to compensate for a higher bridge.

Maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it looks like it is on upside down.  I am not doubting your luthier skills, just me perception of the photo.

DMRACO said:

I just have one question about the 1 degree shim.  I have used those Stew mac shims before, even the 1 degree.  They are always paper thin at the end of the neck joint, with the thick end down by the bottom of the pocket to achieve an upward tilt of the neck to compensate for a higher bridge.

Maybe it is just the angle of the photo but it looks like it is on upside down.  I am not doubting your luthier skills, just me perception of the photo.

You are correct. I needed clearance the other direction. The Babicz bridge saddle height and Warmoth neck pocket depths don't always jive. Middle three strings were laying on fret board when playing frets 12 on out, maxed saddle height. So using the shim the other direction brought the headstock towards the bridge enough to raise the strings and achieved exactly the height I needed. Wasn't ideal but better than having a go at the neck pocket or shimming the bridge, in my opinion. A few good responses in another thread led me to try the stewmac shims, I like the Full contact they provide. Didn't notice a difference in tone at all, so lost nothing, and gained a guitar that plays itself practically.

Very impressive. I've played with voltages like that (university power lab) and I know what they can do. Trying that must have taken some balls!  Or a lot of playing with scrap. Or both!!

Rich said:
DMRACO said:

You are correct. I needed clearance the other direction. The Babicz bridge saddle height and Warmoth neck pocket depths don't always jive. Middle three strings were laying on fret board when playing frets 12 on out, maxed saddle height. So using the shim the other direction brought the headstock towards the bridge enough to raise the strings and achieved exactly the height I needed. Wasn't ideal but better than having a go at the neck pocket or shimming the bridge, in my opinion. A few good responses in another thread led me to try the stewmac shims, I like the Full contact they provide. Didn't notice a difference in tone at all, so lost nothing, and gained a guitar that plays itself practically.

Makes sense.  I have been educated.  I thought the bridge was too high....when just of the opposite was occurring! 

AWSOME looking guitar again.

Back