NOOBIE QUESTION: HAS ANYBODY TRIED TO BUILD A JEFF BECK PAUL?

Paul86

Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. Great forum! Well the title says it all, I guess.
Has anyone tried their hands at building a Jeff Beck Les Paul? Wraparound, oxblood (or any other color), etc?
Thanks

hey

a guy did this from guitar attack.com i think

this would be easy for warmoth to do for you.

black lp carved top. trap inlays on neck and  wraparound gotoh 510 bridge.

Brian

Attachments

• beckonsofa.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 339
Cool idea (I love Jeff  Beck) but wouldn't that bridge intonate like shit?

A Gotoh 510 or Quan BadAss wraparound brideg will intonate just fine; the one that came on a '54 LP or other Gibsons of that era is a whole 'nother story. The "real" Jeff Beck LP was a a '54, think a goldtop, that had been refinished somewhere on it's journey...

Not too long ago Guitar Player magazine had Jeff Beck's real Les Paul on their cover. It had the unadjusted, straight bar bridge that would, indeed "intonate like shit", and the high E string was falling off the edge of the fretboard. And Jeff Beck recorded Blow by Blow with it. Gee Willikers, I wonder if TALENT has anything to do with it? :toothy11:

And here I was, going to build the perfect guitar, set it in the corner and watch it play itself..... :dontknow:

(kant find the "snark" icon.... :rock-on:)

Wow, I'm diggin' the look of that black LP. I have the Gotoh 510 and intonates great if that is the bridge you are considering. Wow, did I mention I'm diggin' that black LP.

This one plays in tune all the way. I'm either a lucky SOB or the builders a genius.

Attachments

• g0002_1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 248
stubhead said:
Not too long ago Guitar Player magazine had Jeff Beck's real Les Paul on their cover. It had the unadjusted, straight bar bridge that would, indeed "intonate like shite", and the high E string was falling off the edge of the fretboard. And Jeff Beck recorded Blow by Blow with it. Gee Willikers, I wonder if TALENT has anything to do with it? :toothy11:

And here I was, going to build the perfect guitar, set it in the corner and watch it play itself..... :dontknow:

(kant find the "snark" icon.... :rock-on:)

I think on the CD version you can really hear how poor the guitar tone is on Blow by Blow. I know the blood ox is a classic but a well constructed warmoth LP would p*ss on Becks original. No wonder he always plays strats now after playing such a rubbish, buggered about with, poorly set up LP!!!!

Never seen him play anything but Strats live, to include when doing songs off the Blow by Blow album...

"I think on the CD version you can really hear how poor the guitar tone is on Blow by Blow."

What's in your pipe today?

CD version is just digitized from original master analog tape, wouldn't hear anything different from vinyl unless you always played that on substandard gear.

If you think that guitar tone is "poor", what would you consider "good"?

jackthehack said:
Never seen him play anything but Strats live, to include when doing songs off the Blow by Blow album...

"I think on the CD version you can really hear how poor the guitar tone is on Blow by Blow."

What's in your pipe today?

CD version is just digitized from original master analog tape, wouldn't hear anything different from vinyl unless you always played that on substandard gear.

If you think that guitar tone is "poor", what would you consider "good"?

Nothing is in my pipe. I just think the tone Beck gets on Blow by Blow sounds awful and much prefer the sound he gets on subsequent albums (when he ditched the LP). It sounds thin and very un les paul like but there you have it: an opinion.

As for the CD vs Vinyl issue perhaps I'm wording my point wrongly. What I was saying was on my CD version the guitar tone sounds thin and really lacking in LP style warmth. I've never heard Blow by Blow on Vinyl however so it might simply be the way it has been converted to digital but on my CD version that tone is just not my thing at all. Perhaps I should have said "it may just be the fact I only have the album on CD rather than the original vinyl but to my ears the tone Beck gets on Blow by Blow sounds crap".

Back