Non-warmoth tele bod, Warmoth neck

Looking really great, Ian. It comes alive with that burst on it. :icon_thumright:

I agree, it really does come to life with that burst edge.  In the full blast of sunlight, it looks a little more red in the photo than it is in real life.  But even so, it really does pop.  I held up my tortoise pickguard next to it and I'm frankly not sure about it - I might want to pick one up that's a little more brown, or alternatively, perhaps explore a cream or parchment pickguard.

The burst looks good. As you mentioned it is certainly worth trying some different pickguards up against it.

Well, it's raining like a son of a gun today, but yesterday and earlier this week I managed to touch up the burst and get a couple clear coats on this baby.  Here's where we sit today.  I've been toting this western red cedar body around through four moves in the last six years.  Cedar's a soft wood, and it's consequently picked up a few visible dings.  I've decided to leave them unfilled.  This guy's gonna be a barncaster before long.  I'm doing rattle-can Mohawk lacquer for the topcoat which will also lend itself to rapid wear.  My phone camera still isn't capturing the color well, but this does a better job of it than the last one, which leaned too far toward the red end of the spectrum.

Anyway, that's my progress report.  I'm happy with how things are going, and not dedicating myself to perfection, but instead to what seems likely to be a very comfy axe.

49261574807_4e1b8d44d2_h.jpg

49261374461_0f38adac43_h.jpg

Nice work! I like your choice of colors/mixing. Gonna be a real beauty!

That burst is just right. I also find the straight grain of the cedar quite nice.  :icon_thumright:

So it's been a hell of a year (maybe some of you have noticed) but I finally wetsanded and rubbed out this body and am expecting pickups and whatnot to arrive on 7/1.  So here's a little update:  IT'S SHINY.

50060151002_a6383cbd4c_b.jpg

Excellent Job! I just found this thread and read the beginning. Allow me to say you are not alone, I have dealt with depression all my life. Watched it take away large portions of said life. I know what your dealing with and I congratulate you for not giving up. Keep up the good fight and win by surviving in the long run. Sometimes, that's the best we can do.  :icon_thumright:

Damn, that's shiny. You could shave in it. Not that you would want to. But you could...  :icon_biggrin:  :icon_thumright:

Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the acknowledgement and encouragement.

Here it is loosely mocked up with pickguard and control plate. 

50059996831_21b6db99c2_b.jpg

mysticaxe said:
Beautiful guitar!  It seems like a shame to cover it.  What about a clear pickguard?

Thank you, I'm very happy with how the finish is coming out.

I'm not generally nuts about clear pickguards, and moreover, I'm - how to put this delicately - momentarily impecunious (too poor to buy more parts).  I may revisit it when I'm working again, but at the moment tortoise is what I have so tortoise is what she'll wear.

Bagman67 said:
mysticaxe said:
Beautiful guitar!  It seems like a shame to cover it.  What about a clear pickguard?

I'm not generally nuts about clear pickguards, and moreover, I'm - how to put this delicately - momentarily impecunious (too poor to buy more parts).  I may revisit it when I'm working again, but at the moment tortoise is what I have so tortoise is what she'll wear.

What about no pickguard?  I don't believe there is a legal requirement to install a pickguard on a tele, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences!

mysticaxe said:
Bagman67 said:
mysticaxe said:

What about no pickguard?  I don't believe there is a legal requirement to install a pickguard on a tele, as long as you are willing to deal with the consequences!

There may be a legal requirement cited under TDPRI, aesthetics, pickguards sub section 4, paragraph 2...revised 1961.

In this instance it's not a matter of adherence to an orthodoxy; it's that I keep my right hand fingernails long to pick the guitar, and the last time I eschewed a pickguard, I chewed up the finish pretty good.  This is a nitro finish on Western red cedar, which is a fragile finish on a pretty soft piece of lumber.  I'll claw the hell out of it in no time.  And while I'm all in favor of guitars with legitimately-achieved playing wear (as opposed to off-the-shelf relic jobs), I see no reason to hurry it along.  See below for rattle-can nitro on mahogany for what I'm trying not to inflict on this axe.

33384211748_3cc5a8a93c_b.jpg

All jests aside on orthodoxy, I think it looks good with the tortoise guard. And the green tele is good reason for a pickguard also known in the UK as a scratch plate.

Back