(Non Warmoth) PVX kit build

Scythes

Okey! my next project is under way..this time a kit from PVX Guitars. It´s a set-neck with a onepiece mahogany back and a flame maple top.
The kit (special request order) including the  Floyd Rose tremolo set me back about 900 USD..more then worth it. The kit is delivered in a more rough shape then Warmoth, so finish sanding is required.

Here are a few pictures - the first one taken by PVX after the kit was finished and testassembled. The second taken by me after I drilled the holes for knobs and switches.
578000_10151524591366287_655921907_n.jpg

269239_10151540978601287_1626010404_n.jpg

I´m currently finishsanding thee body, getting it ready for stain. The neck I repacked into a sealed bag after inspecting it so that it won`t be affected by humiditychanges before I can get finish on it.

croquet hoop said:
I really love this shape. How do you plan on finishing it?

Btw, is that a 22 or 24 frets neck?

The shape is killer!! I plan on staining the top straight green...no black base is I did with my Warmoth. All PVX guitars have a 24 fret neck.

Here is a pciture og the guitar wet with alcohol to really show of the grain figure. The guitar body is also completly finishsanded at this point.
525136_10151542448721287_588721082_n.jpg

That's a nice body. Reminds me of a pre-lawsuit VIP, which is to say, a PRS Custom 24.

Cagey said:
That's a nice body. Reminds me of a pre-lawsuit VIP, which is to say, a PRS Custom 24.

That would be correct. The kit is a PRS inspired guitar. The only things setting it apart is the headstock is slightly different and the carve around two cut aways and the tummy cut is a little different. Based on pictures I have seen of early versions of the kit also PVX was forced to make changes to set it apart from gje original PRS.

Scythes said:
All PVX guitars have a 24 fret neck.

Their single cutaway has 22 frets. I've been kinda thinking about getting one actually. But they won't do a rosewood neck.

Kuro Uma said:
Scythes said:
All PVX guitars have a 24 fret neck.

Their single cutaway has 22 frets. I've been kinda thinking about getting one actually. But they won't do a rosewood neck.
Then I stand corrected! The double cutaway is at least a 24 fret model :p
Have you asked Paul about a rosewood neck? I´d bet if he could get the wood for it he would make you one. He was super cool about helping me out with a floyd rose and I have seen him do special request wood options too.

Anyway! Here is the top all stained and pretty! :)
486562_10151543121886287_1021580306_n.jpg

733855_10151543121726287_753952002_n.jpg

Scythes said:
Have you asked Paul about a rosewood neck? I´d bet if he could get the wood for it he would make you one. He was super cool about helping me out with a floyd rose and I have seen him do special request wood options too.
I have, on multiple occasions. I even offered to buy the rosewood blank and send it his way. He can do just about anything else but that it seems.

Yours is looking good by the way  :icon_thumright:

Grainfilling complete. Picture taken wet with alcohol to show how it will look after the clear laquer on later.
552013_10151546142961287_1341416766_n.jpg

Altar said:
I wonder if these can be made just like PRS guitars. I might have to make one.
The fact that you build it yourself and it has an option for a Floyd....C'mon, that makes it 10x better than a prs.. :icon_thumright:

DangerousR6 said:
Altar said:
The fact that you build it yourself and it has an option for a Floyd....C'mon, that makes it 10x better than a prs.. :icon_thumright:
No floyd for me.  :confused4: I've had 2 guitars with floyds, and both sucked. I'd rather have a wilky or something. I was asking because I want to make a lifeson-ish guitar. I don't remember if his prs has a floyd...

No, PRS doesn't use Floyds; they use a variation of Fender's 6-point vibrato bridge, which is a mechanically inferior design that can be a real problem child. As overblown as Floyds are, you'd be better off with one. It's a glaring deficiency in what are otherwise very nice guitars.

These seem like pretty cool little kits. How did gluing the neck in go? I have always wondered how you get good glue coverage in the tenon when it is one of those super long ones and the maple cap is on already.

rapfohl09 said:
These seem like pretty cool little kits. How did gluing the neck in go? I have always wondered how you get good glue coverage in the tenon when it is one of those super long ones and the maple cap is on already.

I haven't glued the neck yet..but it should not be a problem. Just spread the glue good on both maple and mahogany before sliding it the neck and it should be fine!

DangerousR6 said:
Altar said:

Lol, but the Floyd is still a prototype on special order from PVX. They don't have it as å standard option yet. But Paul Vogt said they are working on it...probably gonna be a standard in the near future.

The price shown on their website is actually way inferior that what you said you paid for your kit; is that because of the custom work you asked (FR trem), or did I just look at the wrong kit ?

Because $400 for a standard kit makes it very appealing.

croquet hoop said:
The price shown on their website is actually way inferior that what you said you paid for your kit; is that because of the custom work you asked (FR trem), or did I just look at the wrong kit ?

Because $400 for a standard kit makes it very appealing.

Yes, the price I paid is including the custom work and Floyd Rose it self. 400-450$ is the right price for the standard kit depending on the choice in frets and inlays etc.

Got a few coats of clear on, staring to shine a litttle. The color ended up å bit darker then i wanted, but can't do much about it now.

Attachments

• IMAG0259-picsay.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG0261-picsay.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 29
Back