Non Warmoth...Guitar fetish SLICK build.

Cagey said:
Hmm... interesting. I wonder if there's something on the body already, or if it got handled too much?

Y'know - for as many guitars as you build, you should have a generous inventory of naphtha laying around. It's the duct tape of the finishing world. It'll clean damn near anything without undesirable side effects.

Yep.  Buy it by the gallons!
I am very cautious about cleaning everything.  I know it was clean.

I ran some black stain around the ends and they darkened up.  I then ran some orange dye on top of that.  Last time was a mix of orange and bright red.  Seems to blend a lot better.  I still have a light spot on the front.  If I sand the black in the grain will come out.  them i am starting from scratch.  I think most of it is covered by the pickup ring. 

I have not hand rubbed a finish in some time.  I miss my sprayer!!!

Some bodies will fight you tooth, fang and claw. I have an old PRS-style VIP body from Warmoth that was that way. Couldn't make the damned thing look good, even though it's a carved curly Maple top over Mahogany. So, I shot it with a solid cream color and called it a love story. I should mention I'm not the first one to finish the thing, which is probably why I got it for the price I did.

Someday in the future, somebody will get ahold of it and decide that it's not the right color and strip it, then wonder what the hell I was thinking about. I expect the cycle will repeat  :laughing7:

What in the Sam Hill is this....?
20150128_190409_zps0ycncvvc.jpg

:icon_biggrin:

I have a cover that may fit that control rout if you are planning on keeping it as is... :dontknow:

I have a cover...but am considering making a brass one.

Here are some updated picks.  Color turned out well.  Finish is a satin poly.  I still need to hit it with some steel wool after it dries but you get the idea.

GuitarFetish says these are indian rosewood.  :dontknow:
This is some tight grain for rosewood.  Plays more like a pau ferro board I have from W.  Either way the fingerboard is nice and thick.

This piece completely influenced me on my re-finish on my guitar.
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24676.0

That definitely looks good. Congrats on the build. You must be chomping to try it out.

I played it a bit last night during the Super Bowl... :doh:

I am surprised how much the swamp ash resonates.  Not that I have had anything to compare it to.  This is my 1st swamp ash guitar.

I am shocked on how well it does play.  For a total investment of $215 this thing plays really nice.  It sounded great before I tore it apart so It should sound good now.  I am anxious to try the p90 I added!  I may need to file the nut (graphite).  It is just a bit higher than I like..

I wonder if GuitarFestish and Earl Slick would mind if I ordered a bunch of these and started refinishing them and selling for $300?!?! :laughing8:  I already had one offer.....

I am a sworn believer in Swamp Ash as my main core wood choice going forward.
My Lam top is great (Maple / SwAsh), but my one piece Swamp Ash is phenomenal.
My next build I really want to do a hybrid Strat, that will be SwAsh as well

sixstringsamurai said:
I agree with this completely. My next build will be swamp ash, too.

rgand said:
sixstringsamurai said:

fark_LJHtU5wN_-uAsqHcNPoRmHgdRyA.jpg

If it's not Black Limba, it's CRAP!

Cagey said:
rgand said:
sixstringsamurai said:

:laughing3:

I have 2 Jackson Dinky's that are swamp ash and they are stellar...But still as noted above, not black korina.... :icon_jokercolor:

Cagey said:
rgand said:
sixstringsamurai said:

I always thought the Limba was a dance. :laughing11:

You're thinking of the Limbo. Limba is an African hardwood. It's more commonly called "Korina" here, but that's a commercial name Gibson came up with when what's-his-name decided out of the clear blue sky to name an entire pre-existing species of plant after his granddaughter.

I've only stained a few Swamp Ash bodies, but I've never had any trouble. Perhaps I've led a charmed life?  :icon_biggrin:

Maple and Alder, on the other hand, have always been a long row to hoe.

Back