Non Warmoth...Guitar fetish SLICK build.

dmraco

Master Member
I got ahold of one of these guitars.  Swamp ash body with maple neck and single humbucker.  The guitar is really light and plays decent.  Price was $189.  I also picked up a Slick p90.

My plan is to tear this apart and add the p90 to the neck position.  I then want to add some color.  The finish on this guitar was a simple spray of black and sand back.  No sealer.  I may dye the ash and hit with a satin poly to keep the same feel.  I have no plans on filling this deep ash grain.  I am thinking of a burnt orange color but open to suggestions.  Plan it to keep it under $225 total investment.  All the hardware is solid brass too.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Slick-SL54-Aged-Black-Ash-Single-Humbucker-Pickup-_p_13645.html

zoomify.asp

zoomify.asp

zoomify.asp

Looks like a fun project.  Here's what a regular bright orange might look like, with and without a black burst edge. THis is General Finishes water-borne dye.  I blackened the entire top with India ink and sanded back aggressively to leave the pores black.  With as much black as GFS left on the Slick body, you may not need to go "burnt" orange to get the look you contemplate.

5902217569_fa655b5d0f_b.jpg

5845295077_9445d32247_b.jpg

Agreed.  The body is not completely "black free".

That is the vibe I was thinking.  Without the burst though

DMRACO said:
Sounds great.  Action sucks.  Needs a good set ups
Yeah I had a friend that worked for them for a while,
(Their Warehouse is halfway between Boston and Worcester)
That was the one thing he said about the Xavier line, they all need setups out of box, they spend a lot of time on container ships coming here.

After looking over the pix on the GFS site I did notice the bridge they chose, I bought one that style as a curiosity buy, and was really disappointed with it.
I would suggest a hardware upgrade, at least as far as a decent bridge.

Glad it sounds good :icon_thumright:

surgery complete.  This wood it DRY!!!  I had a small chip happen.  I am going to repair.  Thankfully it is going to be a relic piece.  It is not my bit...brand new and sharp.  sorry for the blurry pic

It's a bitch, but tearout happens. In a situation like that, I'm surprised to see it as you were moving across the grain. But, about all you can do is cuss about it or figure a way to cover it up. Personally, I'd be pist, but I'd let it go. If you don't point it out, it's highly unlikely anyone will notice it.

Cagey said:
It's a bitch, but tearout happens. In a situation like that, I'm surprised to see it as you were moving across the grain. But, about all you can do is cuss about it or figure a way to cover it up. Personally, I'd be pist, but I'd let it go. If you don't point it out, it's highly unlikely anyone will notice it.

I am pissed but over it.  If it was going to be a real show piece I may gone off the deep end.  I just recall the issue you had when routing that sweet LS5.  Now a custom contour for the instrument cable.

Here is how it stands now.  Ignore the shadow of my huge head.  It needs something else.  The swamp ash did not take the dye real well.  There are some light spots.  I did not spray this...only 15 degrees here and I would be waiting forever.  I am thinking a wash coat of oil based may help.  The dye I used was StewMac liquid in alcohol.  Back and headstock look good.  Front has a light spot or 2.

I'm really surprised at how that dye took. Number one, usually Swamp Ash takes stain fairly well. Number two, it seems the end grain didn't take it up and usually that's where you have problems with dark edges. It's been postulated that that's where "burst" finishes came from - attempting to cover up darker end grain after staining.

Did you seal it before staining?

Hmm... interesting. I wonder if there's something on the body already, or if it got handled too much?

Y'know - for as many guitars as you build, you should have a generous inventory of naphtha laying around. It's the duct tape of the finishing world. It'll clean damn near anything without undesirable side effects.

Back