NGD: Squire Paranormal Baritone Cabronita

ragamuffin

I'd been thinking about getting a baritone, and then Squier came along with one that has just about the exact specs I'd want at a very reasonable price. Jerks.

It came today and it's pretty great!

N2OHpHd.jpg

It plays pretty well, fret ends look good, intonation is good. The finish on the neck and body looks good. Tuners feel fairly good and stable. The pickups sound ok, I plan on upgrading them but it's definitely not a "these have got to go" kind of situation. The only things that I can knock it for are that the knobs/switch feel cheap and the jack holds the instrument cable pretty loosely. That was more or less to be expected though, so I'm quite happy with the purchase!

At some point down the line I'll probably be putting a Warmoth neck on it it, I'm thinking bloodwood  :evil4:

Congratulations! Sometimes it's hard to pass up a good deaL. :icon_thumright:

Very cool and interesting guitar.  I like the tele/soapbar look on a baritone.

Nice Mills amp as well.  Is the cabinet a Mills as well or is it a custom job?

VinceClortho said:
Very cool and interesting guitar.  I like the tele/soapbar look on a baritone.

Nice Mills amp as well.  Is the cabinet a Mills as well or is it a custom job?

Thanks! Yeah the cabinet is Mills too, the guitar is covering the logo. It's a pretty great amp/cab, very versatile.

Fun looking guitar!

I'd verify whether you can swap in the part before committing to a Warmoth neck. the Warmoth baritone conversion part has 24 frets, and a very moderate overhang, with a scale length of 28 5/8".    The Fender website describes the Paranormal Baritone as a 27" scale.  If you're lucky you can just drop in the replacement, and the two extra frets are perfectly accounted for in the longer scale length.  On the other hand, you might end up with a neck that will never play in tune without moving the bridge.

Bagman67 said:
Fun looking guitar!

I'd verify whether you can swap in the part before committing to a Warmoth neck. the Warmoth baritone conversion part has 24 frets, and a very moderate overhang, with a scale length of 28 5/8".    The Fender website describes the Paranormal Baritone as a 27" scale.  If you're lucky you can just drop in the replacement, and the two extra frets are perfectly accounted for in the longer scale length.  On the other hand, you might end up with a neck that will never play in tune without moving the bridge.

Good advice, I think the bridge is in the standard location but I'll have to make sure that the neck pocket is standard

pabloman said:
Did you ever find out about the body specs and Warmoth neck compatibility?
I've been out of town so I haven't had a chance yet, I'll post an update when I do  :icon_thumright:

pabloman said:
Did you ever find out about the body specs and Warmoth neck compatibility?

So I took the neck off and measured the pocket and it does appear to be a standard tele pocket!. I'm not sure why they decided to go with the no-hangover fretboard, maybe the just didn't want to put another fret on it? Anyways I'm pretty confident that's it's a standard scale body/bridge position and pocket, so a Warmoth neck should work with it.

I am however really liking the 27in scale length... Much more so than the Warmoth 28.5in that I briefly had, so I may just stick with the Squier neck. Makes me wish Warmoth would offer 27in as an option but I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

I change out the pickups and electronics and it's sounding even better! The pickups I put in are Vineham Blues Dogs and they have a lot more clarity/less mud than the stock parts. I ordered them with cream covers but decided I didn't like the look so I changed to raw nickel covers and really like them. I'm considering changing the pickguard for a tortoise one though.

5x0zrUV.jpg

Back