NGD! Guild 12 string

S

swarfrat

I'm a fan of Jumbos, particularly Guild jumbos. And have a lifelong obsession with 12 strings. Two of the first people who really got me interested in playing guitar played 12 strings. And I'm singing / playing solo acoustic guitar at church every few weeks now. So I started getting the urge again. It's just a 2512 - I thought about trying to use my semicentury birthday this year to justify a higher end Guild, but I saw this one used locally and it was a good price and I bit. I just took a few teaser shots last night (but I saved the seller's pics).

And I've always wanted a maple jumbo as well! Score. Just picked up some new strings today on lunch break. I'd say I can't wait to get home except... changing strings on a 12 tempers my anticipation a bit.

Pp52N3om.jpg
qduZ837m.jpg

pd9bU4hm.jpg
ypiLVF5m.jpg

My dad has an old Guild 12-string that he bought back in the mid-to-late 70's. Jumbo, all maple back, it sounds amazing. Your score takes me back, man. Enjoy the new guitar!

Guild guitars, especially the ones made in the old RI plant, are severely underrated.

I had a J4N in college that was built in RI and miss it. But I like my Alvarez ABT-60 - so I have a 6 and a 12 string jumbo. In fact, the OM-240 is up for sale - and once it goes it'll be an all jumbo house again. My buddy in high school has a Guild Nightbird - the Gruhn designed LP-ish guitar (though it has a lovely nice cutaway compared to an LP) and there were only a few hundred of those made. Now THAT's a guitar to never ever sell
Guild-Nightbird-I-Top-300x200.jpg

Congrats on the new 12! I also used my 50th birthday as an excuse for buying a new guitar. Money was pretty tight at the time, so I went for an Ovation Celebrity. Still, at the time, it was my first new guitar in over 15 years.

Happy Birthday, and enjoy your "new" Guild!  :icon_thumright:

And since I'm quite partial to Guild Jumbos - Fat bottom Guilds make the rockin' world go 'round!

Congrats! I know they are wonderful as I have one. It’s my go to acoustic. For string choice, check out the DAddario nickel bronze. Concert tuning is no issue and balance across the courses are even.

Oh, and don’t replace your tuner buttons with plastic ones for weight reduction/balance  I tried and it seemed to lose something.  I’d chock it up to my ears, but my wife noticed it (unaided by my thoughts) as well. 

I typically tune my baritone to C# anyway - so not being at concert pitch isn't a big deal. A plus actually. A lot of 12 strings are understrung (as far as driving the top) out of caution or necessity, or overbuilt. About half the 12's I've picked up in the last six months are all shimmer and no body - and that's usually the culprit. I was only able to find 10's, I'm not really sure where it needs to end up but I figured I'll start there anyway. I have a feeling 11's tuned down my be a better fit for me.

Mucho Congrats. Guild always made the best twelve strings going. Their built like tanks. I had a Guild Jumbo type six string years ago. Nice spruce top and maple sides and back, with a 5 piece maple and mahogany neck. Best guitar I ever had. Rang like a bell and played like butter. You will enjoy.  :bananaguitar:

Found 'em - Martin makes an 80/20 12-string set 12-54/30 with a 0.010" octave-G. Should be about perfect for tuning to C#. That should wake it up a bit (and not crack my voice)

Congrats. I have a JF-30-12 that I love. Guild jumbo 12's are glorious instruments.

1GtY5ft.jpg

What can I say - I like big bouts. (And I cannot lie)

Really digging this pair now. Corona virus has pretty much wiped out all Craigslist/FB Marketplace I think. But once people start venturing outdoors again, I hope to sell the OM (not pictured).

Back