New Warmoth Site Bug Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just had a go on chrome, the missing link image doesn't come up, but and this is a big butt*, on the S style lower models it only added the control panel when you add the pickups, but it does with the T style, so it's not a bug, well, kinda.

I also noticed on chrome it only shows the available options, not the greyed out versions.  :icon_scratch:

450169065.gif

Since I'm in this thread reading other post let me add one of my own. I believe I posted this over a year ago but maybe it was less. When selecting the fretboard for necks, particularly Strat and Warhead necks, the select your own fretboard pictures are absolutely horrible. The pictures are so dark and gray that it is impossible to see the texture of the wood on the fretboard being offered. I know that Warmoth knows how to take great photographs we get to see them everyday on Instagram so I'm not sure why these photographs are so bad but if you are trying to select any of the ebony Woods for the fretboard in a modern build and you go to select your own you will see what I mean. All of those photographs should be taken again. Thanks

Here is a new one for me. I was building a Strat neck in Gibson 24.75 conversion  which can only be had in 22 frets but as you can see from the image the neck is showing 24 frets and then enough room left over for another 12 frets. No clue how that happened. Not a big issue because I was just checking out the cost for a potential future order.

Attachments

• Warmoth neck error 04-09-2022 v1.png
    Warmoth neck error 04-09-2022 v1.png
    213.7 KB · Views: 41
Not a bug as such but rather missing information.

It probably would be worth Warmoth adding to this page...under the superwide option which necks the option is available on in addition to modern construction to this page.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-nut-width

See this thread: https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=34085.msg471194#msg471194

Body blank when selecting Tele Top rout and hardtail bridge does not have any options for Tele Bridges. Seems like a bug to me.

https://warmoth.com/index.php/body-blank-builder

Am I the only one having a very hard time using filters in the showcase? 9 times out of 10 if I try to apply some kind of filter (weight, price, showing order or whatever) the site freeze while trying to reload the page. Happens from multiple devices and using different internet connection, so def not something on my side.
The few times the filters do work everything is still incredibly slow, like having to wait a minute for the new page to load. Old site worked fine from this pov.

@ValeBliz it is not you. It is slow when using filters. Hopefully it gets sorted out at some point.

It's not you that is exactly how it works. It is so painful I can only go on the site once a month to check out new showcase items. As it happens I was on the site last night. It takes me about 45 seconds to look at the items on one page and I try to click to the next page and I have to wait 2 minutes for it too load. This is the worst site I have seen since the beginning of the internet. This cannot be a glitch. If it were it would be easily fixed. I visit sites for businesses all over the world AliExpress in China, sites in England and Ireland for businesses that are smaller than Warmoth and none of them have a problem like this. No this is deliberate. I would normally call something like this sabotage because it is so highly unusual. But obviously since the powers that be have not addressed it it's not sabotage it's the way they want it. Why they want it this way is beyond my comprehension. I wish someone would address this and just tell us why they want it this way. If it wasn't for the fact that Warmoth makes such really great guitar bodies and necks I would have moved on to another vendor long ago. So I keep coming to Warmoth to buy items but I get no pleasure out of visiting this site any longer. There is some small good news in that we no longer get that box that tells us that shipping times have been extended.

Stratmania, I see what you are saying about the Tele hardtail Bridge options in an earlier post. The two hardtail Bridge routings identified in the tutorial are not listed as options. You are correct. There is one listed as a Strat hard tail option that shows a Tele body as it's example so I'm assuming it's an option for either Strat or Tele. I believe it's the one where it has 11.3 mm string spacing.

On a frequently changing inventory, probably the database backend isn't optimized for that search. Not that it should be a problem, it also ought not to be a huge data set ..

Unless they don't fully purge the table in question  of sold items .. it's actually not an easy problem, depending on the design.

WindsurfMaui said:
This is the worst site I have seen since the beginning of the internet. This cannot be a glitch.

Strong words, I suggest application of Hanlon's razor.

@windsurf yes there are hardtails that you could use on a Strat or Tele but no actual Tele bridge.

Not all glitches are easily fixed. Especially if the site is already in production.

Sadie, I don't code so obviously I'm not an expert. However find me another site that has a problem as bad as this. I guarantee you that the Gap, H&M and dozens of other sites have many more items and are able to sort in fractions of a second. I also have to believe that's sorting items has become so simple fixing the code can be as easy as cut and paste. It doesn't have to sort through all necks in the Showcase, of which there are not that many, it only has to sort through those in the particular type I'm looking at, that is Strat necks or Tele necks or Warhead necks. But the real focus is that this has gone on for so long and nobody at the top of the company has demanded that it be fixed. Why they find this acceptable is the real issue.

ok ok, i wasnt gonna say nothin but finally my tounge was bleedin and i had to tell what i believe and in preference i do believe in black helicopters and space lizards,  ok so here goes,  i think that the speed has 6o do with harvesting of information to see what kind of ideas and wood choices people are creating and showing interest in,  and of course this is all speculation but i have seen some of my builder designs show up in the showcase,  and elvis is performing weddings in las vegas

I guess I'm so angry because I used to really enjoy going to the showcase and looking at necks and bodies. It was a fun way to kill an hour and I have to admit I have been an impulse buyer and have bought more than one item because I happened to be window shopping the showcase and found something that was just a great deal for me. Now the only time I get angry at Warmoth is when I'm starting to think of making another purchase and I come back to the website and start to look around to see what's new or interesting. Otherwise I just don't visit the website that much any more.

Interesting thoughts. While I’m not a coder, I am a Data Scientist and familiar with DBM.

Im fairly certain they do not purge ‘sold’ items as many times, people have posted pics to sold items. 

It’s most likely an indexing issue.  I would presume due to custom nature of the products, there are not defined SKUs for a finished product. 

Sites such as those referenced (GAP, L&M, etc) have pre-defined SKUs for the finished products.  That’s child play then.

There’s a couple ways to address this from a DB issue.  Depending on the configuration of the App Server generating the content for the page would determine the best solution.

WindsurfMaui said:
Sadie, I don't code so obviously I'm not an expert. However find me another site that has a problem as bad as this. I guarantee you that the Gap, H&M and dozens of other sites have many more items and are able to sort in fractions of a second. I also have to believe that's sorting items has become so simple fixing the code can be as easy as cut and paste. It doesn't have to sort through all necks in the Showcase, of which there are not that many, it only has to sort through those in the particular type I'm looking at, that is Strat necks or Tele necks or Warhead necks. But the real focus is that this has gone on for so long and nobody at the top of the company has demanded that it be fixed. Why they find this acceptable is the real issue.

As tburst and I have suggested, looking at the specific performance problem, it's not hard to make some educated guesses on what the backend problem might be.

Gap and h&m compete relatively directly, both are international firms, I'd bet either company's median sales sku item dwarfs all of Warmoth's sales.

Gap comprises 1/2 the total annual guitar sales, and h&m is 4-5x larger than gap. I'd also hazard a guess each company has a larger team just handling web performance analysis than all W staff combined.

There will be an even larger team again handling the actual data operations, and a similar size team writing the code, chances are there's a dev-ops team working in between all these groups. You can bet almost all these people are better paid too, starting salary for a high skilled CS graduate, zero industry experience today is north of 200k.

One of these things is not like the other.

Perhaps while the site is compiling the view you want to see, play a guitar?

Just one small thing. This problem didn't exist under the old system.  The total inventory hasn't grown that much in the last year that it should make a difference. So I assume it isn't the quantities of items in the system but the lack of a desire to fix it which still baffles me.

On a broader issue I'm always amazed by people who start companies in order to sell products and then seem to go out of their way to make it hard for us to give them our money! When you run a company I think one of the first rules is don't make it hard for people to buy our products. It always reminds me of that scene from the movie Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts tries to buy a dress from a store on Rodeo Drive but they don't want to serve her and she has to go to other stores and spend lots of money.

But as I mentioned before at least we aren't getting the delayed shipping notice any longer when we visit the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back