New tele neck. Not fitting right

KaiserSoze

So I replaced the neck on my 60s Baja tele. The new Warmoth neck is better for me but I found I have to raise the saddles to their max the get it playable. The raised angle also makes the compensated saddles flat on top and therefore useless.  I thought the Warmoth necks were drop in replacements for the fender necks. The fender neck heel must be shorter because the saddle and pickup height were normal. So:
1. Anyone else experienced this?
2. Didn't really want to but I assume a Warmoth body would fit better

I recently put together a Tele where the body was by [unknown supplier], but the neck was by Warmoth. Had a similar issue - bridge saddles ended up pretty tall. Neck pocket was off by a smidgen, so the neck was angled slightly forward at the headstock. It doesn't take much. That's why business cards are popular shims. Ten or fifteen thousandths in the pocket can turn into an 1/8" at the bridge.

Warmoth makes Fender parts more accurately than Fender does. This would be particularly true of Fender's older stuff, which was mostly cut by hand. Warmoth's parts are cut to Fender spec on CNC machines, and are as predictable as the sun.

Also of note.  Unlike Fender, Warmoth starts with a 1/4" fingerboard blank, prior to glue up on the shaft, and prior to radius sanding.
This may also play into the additional height.

Seems to be quite common to have to shim a neck to get an ideal action/bridge saddle height.  Much better to have to shim the tail end of the neck (layers of masking tape work well, don't move and can be tapered with overlap) than the opposite.  My Esquire all Warmoth build for some reason required careful sanding at that tail end as I was unwilling to shim the "front" end of the neck mounting.  Way more work that way! 

Back