New Strat Parts help!

Another option is to buy a MIJ Fender and once you find out what you like, upgrade one piece at a time.

Tempest said:
GoDrex said:
as a beginner, I would suggest not getting a Floyd Rose or a trem of any kind. A hardtail or Tune-o-matic bridge will be FAR less frustrating to deal with - as far as tuning, intonation and general action/setup issue go.

+1 to that.  Trems are overrated. 

thanks for agreeing - but I don't agree hehehe :icon_thumright:

just about all of my all time favorite guitar players use(d) them

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?itemNumber=PS2655&type=guitar

Is this body really hollow? Is it a good body? I really like this one. Is it worth getting? Is it as good as a solid body?

Jared,  if this is your first decent guitar, I'd strongly recommend going to the largest store in your area and trying a wide range of guitars.  See what you like and do not like.  You might find something that really suits you.  If so, buy it!

I'd have to second what others have said about starting with an MIJ.  Take time to find out what you like instead of what others like.

I'm making a guitar for myself because I like the Fender Strat. I used to have one and now I want to make myself one.

Jared said:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_bodies.cfm?itemNumber=PS2655&type=guitar

Is this body really hollow? Is it a good body? I really like this one. Is it worth getting? Is it as good as a solid body?

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/strat.cfm?fuseaction=strat_hollow

Jared, all of the parts are 'good' and lots of different pickups sound 'good'. The problem is that 'good' is just a subjective term - all of us on here like to play different kinds of music from country to death metal. A Floyd Rose is 'good' if you play metal and like trems, but it's not 'good' if your favorite guitarist is George Thoroughgood.
I totally agree with godrex - if you don't know what you want to sound like / what to play, you shouldn't get a custom guitar yet. Even Wyliee agrees, and he works for Warmoth!

If I were you, I'd probably look for a good used mexican fender telecaster ("standard" telecaster on craigslist, if you live in a big enough city. They are good for lots of different styles of music, don't have a trem so are easier to deal wtih and keep in tune, cheap to buy and easy to resell, or modify, when you figure out what you really want. Take the savings and spend it on lessons. Good Luck!

I'm talking about the hollow body vs. solid body. Differences? Sounds? Durability?

tfarny said:
Jared, all of the parts are 'good' and lots of different pickups sound 'good'. The problem is that 'good' is just a subjective term - all of us on here like to play different kinds of music from country to death metal. A Floyd Rose is 'good' if you play metal and like trems, but it's not 'good' if your favorite guitarist is George Thoroughgood.
I totally agree with godrex - if you don't know what you want to sound like / what to play, you shouldn't get a custom guitar yet. Even Wyliee agrees, and he works for Warmoth!

If I were you, I'd probably look for a good used mexican fender telecaster ("standard" telecaster on craigslist, if you live in a big enough city. They are good for lots of different styles of music, don't have a trem so are easier to deal wtih and keep in tune, cheap to buy and easy to resell, or modify, when you figure out what you really want. Take the savings and spend it on lessons. Good Luck!

Exactly right.  You might not be ready for a custom guitar yet Jared.  :dontknow:  Maybe further down the road in your guitar playing life.  If you're really dead set on it though then you should go to a big store and try out LOTS of guitars to see what you like. Just like Wyliee said.

Back