New Scope Day!

mayfly

Epic Member
Ok, we all know someone who has their own oscilloscope at home in their shop.  They can be pretty hard core electronics folks, which sometimes makes them a bit crazy.  For years I was one.

But today things have elevated to a whole new level.  Not only do I have my own scope, but IT'S A BRAND NEW SCOPE!

Oh my god what a rush!  Definitely  a once in a lifetime thing.  Check it out...

Attachments

• IMG_2170.JPG
    IMG_2170.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 324
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 371
An oscilloscope is the best tool to have for biasing an amp.  I had access to tons of them in my previous career but sure wish I had just one now.

First thing I would do is cover over the marketing slogan with gaffer's tape, and then put it into service for real.  "Enabling Efficiency," my aunt Agnes.

Actually it was not too bad.  I bought it through the company that I work for who has a good relationship with the local Tek dealer.  List they are about the same as a good guitar, and I paid about half that.  Also, it's 'just' a 2 channel 70MHz scope - not a great scope for a lab in a high tech company.  But a super great scope for someone like me!  Heck - it came with a CERTIFICATE OF CALIBRATION!!  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Scope technology has really improved both in capability and in price.

Nice! A Tektronix, no less! I'm envious, too!

What's the occasion?

No special occasion.  I gave the old scope away when we moved house.  Now I find that I need one.  :)

Used it to find some common mode noise last night.  Check it out!

Attachments

• IMG_2177.JPG
    IMG_2177.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2178.JPG
    IMG_2178.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 342
Be sure to guard your probe(s) well. Damned things are surprisingly pricey. I remember when I bought my 'scope, the ad said "no probes" and I didn't think anything of it. At least, not until I had to buy them. Brought a new appreciation for why my old boss used to get ultra-pissed when we'd blow one up. I had no idea they cost so much.

Yea I'm pretty careful with probes in general.  And I made sure that probes were in the deal from the get go  :)

The probes that came with it are not super great by today's standards, but they work very well for me!  I'm happy.

Cagey said:
Be sure to guard your probe(s) well. Damned things are surprisingly pricey. I remember when I bought my 'scope, the ad said "no probes" and I didn't think anything of it. At least, not until I had to buy them. Brought a new appreciation for why my old boss used to get ultra-pissed when we'd blow one up. I had no idea they cost so much.
You can buy cheapies for $5. I've destroyed a few of them, but thankfully never got careless with a more expensive probe.

That's not bad for a Tektronix probe. They go up fast from there, though. Especially if you're going to play with high voltage. The ones we used to blow up were rated for 600v, but we were constantly on 480vac lines. The peak voltage on those is a bit higher than 600v, so eventually the thing would just give up. Thing was, they were probably $250 probes, and to get into the 1500v-2000v parts you were looking at $800-$900. So, you sorta traded off and hoped no one got hurt.

Back