Need your DiMarzio single coil pickup experiences! (area 58, 61, heavy blues 2)

heavybluesy

Hi there, I am using all Seymour Duncan pickups in my strat.......(from bridge to neck): JB Jr, Cool Rails, Little 59

I am looking to try these DiMarzio single coil pickups, probably in this setup.....(from bridge to neck): Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2, Area 61, Area 58

Anybody have experiences with these three pickups? What positions do you use them in? How would my overall sound change going from the SD minibuckers to the DiMarzio single coils?

(((as a reference, I am interested in a sound that is more 'warm' than 'clean', with more 'midrange bite' and 'growl', with a hendrixy and SRV type tone that tends to have chunk, thickness, 'oomph', 'balls', 'woody' character....my SD's don't exactly match this description, and they can sound rather clean to me!!))) 

Never heard them, but eventually I may try them too based on reviews and descriptions. What I would expect given your current pickups, is that you'll get a much, much clearer more vintage sound with the switch - what you've got now are all high-output ceramic magnet sc-sized HBs, which to me are nothing like a blues or vintage-type sound. I think you said before you want to play the blues and were looking for a bluesy tone - these would probably get you a lot closer.

They are truly fantastic - well, the 58s and 61s are.  I tried the VV blues and didn't really like it - the perfect strat setup is 58-58-61 (61 in the bridge).  PERFECT Floyd to Hndrix to SRV tones if you want them.

I've never really given DiMarzio a look all that often because they always came off as the pickups that you wanted if you wanted to sound like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, or any of those Ibanez whiz kids back in the eighties, but these have me impressed. From the clip, it really delivered what it said it would. I did hear a bit of an SRV, even going into a Rory Gallagher sound.

Graffiti62 said:
I've never really given DiMarzio a look all that often because they always came off as the pickups that you wanted if you wanted to sound like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, or any of those Ibanez whiz kids back in the eighties
That was always my impression too.  I have to give credit to Doc for pointing me in the right direction with the Dimarzio forums and his own first hand experiences.  I definitely plan to use some in the future.

that video is EXACTLY what I needed to see and hear. Thanks! That is the single coil sound I am looking for.

not really a DiMarzio fan but their single coils are as advertised.  Granted, not vintage.  But if you want something that sounds vintage(ish) and are enough of a control freak that the single coil hum sends you to therapy, you might look into them.

heavybluesy said:
(((as a reference, I am interested in a sound that is more 'warm' than 'clean', with more 'midrange bite' and 'growl', with a hendrixy and SRV type tone that tends to have chunk, thickness, 'oomph', 'balls', 'woody' character....my SD's don't exactly match this description, and they can sound rather clean to me!!))) 

Well heavybluesy I can't help you, but I just had to dig up this old quote from stubhead:

stubhead said:
Girthy... detailed... bloom... transparent, creamy, chime, sparkle, glassy, liquid, bell-like & meaty? :hello2:

How about girthy sparkle, with detailed, blooming chimes, zesty crunch & scooped spanky meat? :party07: Oh, put me first in line fellas! :eek:ccasion14:

(flutey ass with a dirty gritty grinding... ok I'll go away)

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Back