Need Help on Ibanez HH wiring with the 5-way switch

vanstry

Okay, some of you may recall this topic went around a number of months ago. At least one other person here has done this and now it's my turn. I wired it as per the diagram posted here and flipped the magnet in the neck pickup.

But, it's not working right. Positions 2 and 4 don't work - totally dead.
The screw side of the bridge pickup doesn't work either. Totally dead.

So, is the switch bad?
The pickup bad? (Seymour Duncans, I wonder if they have a guarantee, especially after I flipped the magnet).

Or are they both bad? No, it's not a cold soldier joint. I checked.
Could it be the wiring diagram everyone said to use was bad?

Anybody done this before?

-John

Attachments

• HH Guitar Cavity.jpg
    HH Guitar Cavity.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 164
I’m pretty sure that there are several 5-way blade switches made for Ibanez, all with different switching.
So you would first need to check what the different connections do. Which would mean that you need to disconnect all wires from it and measure it with a multimeter.
Then write down how the different poles connect to one another in the different positions and use that information to see if this particular switch can be used the way you want it to.
Then finally you would be able to connect it again.
Or perhaps you would need another switch altogether.

It's the right 5-way switch, I ordered it specifically. I don't have a schematic test it either. Right now I'm betting the Seymour Duncan pickup is bad (I wonder if they'll replace it, seeing as I flipped the magnet?). I doubt that the switch is.

But I wanted to know if the perhaps the diagram I used has changed or if someone who has done this before, experienced the same problem and could give some advice.

Honestly I can't tell anything from that picture.  Can you describe the switching you're looking for?

rick2 said:
Honestly I can't tell anything from that picture.  Can you describe the switching you're looking for?

Attached is the way it's supposed to perform. The schematic is on the other Ibanez HH thread, but I will find it and post it here as well.

Attachments

• RG320DXQM 5way switch.png
    RG320DXQM 5way switch.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 153
Here's the wiring:
(and yes, this requires a specific switch that only Ibanez makes & sells)

Attachments

• 5way wDuncans.png
    5way wDuncans.png
    225.5 KB · Views: 157
Okay, I've gone over the schematic in detail.
I checked the neck coil and it's good.
I rung out all the positions on the switch and they're good.

1st thing I had wrong is that you have to flip the pickup as well as the magnet (this is on the neck pickup) or it won't switch right. (I guess you could just reverse all the wiring for the neck as well, then you wouldn't have to flip the magnet? would have to think about that). I'm also guessing the reason for the magnet flip is so that when you flip the pickup, the north's are still on the inside with the south's on the outside.

Second is I need to check the continuity of the Red / Green wire connections from the neck pickup to see if I can figure out why I wasn't getting anything.

Back