Neck Plate Pads

GearBoxTy

Hey everybody,

For all the builds I have planned, I always factor a neck plate pad into the price.  I'm getting close to my first build (thank you tax refund!) and am wondering about the neck plate pad.  Here are my questions:

Does anybody get the neck plate pad?
What considerations should there be in having one as far as neck screw depth?

What are the pros and cons?

~Ty (a.k.a. GearBoxTy)

mayfly

I've used pads in all three builds.  No issues with them, but I sometimes wonder if they are actually all that useful.  I'm not likely to look at the finish under the neck plate anyway.

I used the standard screws - they are not that thick.

ByteFrenzy

I've also used pads in all my builds, and I'm also a bit in limbo about the usefulness of the whole thing. Maybe you should have a little ceremony afer the same neck has been on the same body for a year, where you remove the pad and they're allowed to be together without the rubber...

dbw

ByteFrenzy said:
I've also used pads in all my builds, and I'm also a bit in limbo about the usefulness of the whole thing. Maybe you should have a little ceremony afer the same neck has been on the same body for a year, where you remove the pad and they're allowed to be together without the rubber...

HAH!  Good idea.

One of mine has a pad, the other does not.  I think you should use one if you're worried about resale on the body.

G

guitlouie

They are so cheap.  I got one for both of mine.  Why not.

jackthehack

I never bother with them; but if you pull the neck a year later don't be surprised if some lacquer finish doesn't come up with the neck plate...

ByteFrenzy

Now let's spend the next dozen or so posts on discussing the effect a neck plate pad has on tone and sustain. We can even have some name-calling.

G

guitlouie

Well of course it affects the tone you big ninny.  It adds meat tour your low end, ya tool.

stubhead

I make my own CUSTOM neck pads with a secret tone-enhancing process, using endangered animal parts only - just like Leo. Well, he wanted to....

(Since a Les Paul IS worth $250,000, isn't a neck pad worth $1,500?)

DangerousR6

dbw said:
mayfly said:
I've already made a small, hand made, numbered batch out of unobtainium.

Doug, can your CNC machine handle unobtainium?
Sure, bring it on...... :icon_biggrin:

I've machined some stuff from wishalloy and handwavium too... :icon_biggrin:

I don't use neck pads, nor neck plates.  I don't even use necks anymore.  My bodies have never had better balance, but don't sustain as well.  I think it's because of the brand of straplocks I use.

rounce55

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I don't use neck pads, nor neck plates.  I don't even use necks anymore.  My bodies have never had better balance, but don't sustain as well.  I think it's because of the brand of straplocks I use.

You don't use necks any more? Like a neckless guitar? Interesting...

stubhead

The neckless innovation helps with the stage-dancing, too. You can always hire some yahoo to play the real solos,and some fudgebrain to sing some words - all you have to do is look good and lipsynch. I'm gonna make a "guitar video" teaching Rock Face, Rock Nostrils, the Santana Constipation Grimace, the Blues Head-Twitch, the Joe Walsh Swallow-your-Nose Gurning Trick, Mommy-I-Wan-My-Blankie etc. It's a waste of time anymore learning to play, if you wanna be a STAR.... :icon_tongue:

FaceWalsh.jpg

Warren Haynes, perfecting his "I-Wan-My-Blankie" move -

FaceWarrenHaynes.jpg

He's still old-school though, he has a neck on that guitar.