Natural Ash Tele

Thanks, I just wanted to give the electro socket a try. Worse case if I don't like it in the long run I'll put a square or football one on.

I just checked on an old Squier Tele body I have and that has a square plate.

What's the beef with the elctro? I always thought it looked like a cool invention. First I've heard of any downsides.

Electrosocket works great on vintage-style tele bodies, since the body flattens out where the jack hole is cut; but the electro does not fit as snugly as you'd like with the modern rounded-off body.  Other than that, I think it's an attractive part, and I've used them on a couple builds.

Yes that's what I found it's not quite a snug fit, so I think Bagman67 has hit the nail on the head.

The electro socket is certainly functional however.

It is as Bagman says - the thing doesn't really fit on modern bodies. But, what really grinds me is the thing is designed to funnel the plug into the jack so you have faster/easier cord plug-ins. But if you install the jack so that the funnelling feature works, you have to be careful what cords you use. Actually, it's not the cords - it's the plug design. If it has a squared-off shoulder, the plug doesn't want to go all the way in as it hits on the sloped sides of the Electrosocket. It'll feel like it's there, but then the plug falls out at inopportune times. Some plugs work, as their shoulders are rounded off, but who pays attention to that sort of thing?

The thing to do if you want to mitigate that is to install the jack so it protrudes out the center of the Electrosocket, but then you lose the funnelling feature.

I know I'm being petty; it's just a pet peeve of mine. It is an attractive mount. But, to me it fails in practice so it's unacceptable. I never want to fight with an instrument.

Final Assembly.

Body protected ready for soldering the pickups, ground wire and output jack to the prepared control plate.

Assembly_23 by stratamania, on Flickr

Soldering completed.

Assembly_25 by stratamania, on Flickr

Control plate taped into position.

Assembly_26 by stratamania, on Flickr

After plugging into an amp and tap testing the pickups and volume and tone all seemed well which is a relief after doing the wiring.

Control plate fixed in position.

Assembly_27 by stratamania, on Flickr

Fitted Straplok buttons.  Essentially used the same method as I did here. http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg336623#msg336623

I decided to use black felt washers rather than white in the end.

Assembly_28 by stratamania, on Flickr

Neck fitted and ready to string up.

Assembly_29 by stratamania, on Flickr

Strings on

Assembly_30 by stratamania, on Flickr

And after an initial set up the completed Tele.

Assembly_31 by stratamania, on Flickr

Assembly_32 by stratamania, on Flickr

So far I am pleased. The power boost option for the bridge pickup does what it says on the tin. It's letting a rooster into the chicken coop.

Anyway, enjoy and I will see if I can get some outside shots for the completed thread.

Cheers, all...

Stellar job fine sir!
I'm curious if there is a booster option that retains humbucking.
Is that an aftermarket Earvana nut, or did you purchase the neck back when Warmoth was still allowed to offer this option?

Thanks guys... Appreciated.

TFS, the earvana nut is Warmoth supplied I think they appeared again somewhere last year. I have one on my Warmoth Strat too. They are both fairly new.

The Ernie Ball versus Earvana thing was thrown out court wise in the end AFAIK. So it appears probably that is why the option is back.

This booster option doesn't retain humbucking but it possibly does in the bridge, neck series position.

I think the Earvana shelf nut is a better option than the Warmoth installed LSR slot anyway - and that one was never affected.

AWESOME!!! I would never had expected this result, after taking my "smart ass" remark to heart. HA! Outstanding...  :eek:ccasion14:

Slackjaw said:
AWESOME!!! I would never had expected this result, after taking my "smart ass" remark to heart. HA! Outstanding...  :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks Slackjaw, yes inspiration and ideas work in odd unexpected ways sometime. 

Its time for tea, which means the guitar now has a name...

"The Mad Hatter"

Looks fine! I got really psycho about that tea thing once (too much caffeine?) and spent days brewing up really strong tea, even reducing it down (chef background) to try to intensify it... and "intense" is just never a word I would use with tea. :sad1: A little tiny bit of ye olde brown aniline dye powder from LMII or Stewie went a whole lot further faster....  :laughing7:

Thanks StübHead....

A bit of the old dye is probably a lot quicker, still it's good to experiment at times :)

Or ye olde Belgian ale, but that's strictly for drinking. In responsible quantities of course.

Back