My Tele Project

The EMG's require a stereo jack for the active preamp.  The ring and the sleeve are both ground, one is to the battery's negative, one is to ground, but with out the plug in the jack the circuit is broken so you do not drain the battery.  The tip is the signal from the guitar.

As far as jacks to the guitar, I like the Electrosocket ones.  They just slide into the 7/8th hole and screw into place.  No bending plates to get it to work.  Doesn't really look vintage, but...  Also, the amount innuendo that can be used while describing them in a sentence is not bad.

Another tip I can give you for your list and ordering, put all of the part numbers in a column next to the parts you are ordering.  It makes things go a lot faster.  I also put a column for checking off what you have ordered.  Just remember you will be excited when you get to order this stuff, so make it easy on yourself to get it all in one shot.  Nothing worse than forgetting something and figuring it out when you are almost done.
Patrick

2 issues:
1. Your body is routed hardtail, so you'd better get the vintage hardtail bridge. Sorry no trem for you!
2. They can make a pickguard for either the fender-size pickups or 'regular' sized ones, if you want EMGs then request regular sized pickup holes.

tfarny said:
2 issues:
1. Your body is routed hardtail, so you'd better get the vintage hardtail bridge. Sorry no trem for you!
2. They can make a pickguard for either the fender-size pickups or 'regular' sized ones, if you want EMGs then request regular sized pickup holes.

ok cheers for that.
hardtail it is.
the options in for the pickguard it gives me are gibson humbucker or fender humucker. i need to go for gibson then?

i've been looking on the emg site and they do complete kits which would suit me down to the ground.
pickups, pots, switch and jack, plus all wiring. damn good imo.
once i have chosen the set i want i will report back and hopefully we can see if it all will work!!!

also if i was to go for the emg active pickup route (which i am more than like going to) where the hell do i put the 9v battery :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

panicproject said:
also if i was to go for the emg active pickup route (which i am more than like going to) where the hell do i put the 9v battery :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

Believe it or not, the 9v gets wrapped in a bit of tape, and fits snugly between the volume and tone pots underneath the pickguard.

Or you could ask warmoth to route you a battery box... :dontknow:

Xplorervoodoo said:
panicproject said:

Believe it or not, the 9v gets wrapped in a bit of tape, and fits snugly between the volume and tone pots underneath the pickguard.

Or you could ask warmoth to route you a battery box... :dontknow:

ah, cool. thanks very much!

Gibson sized holes then for the pickguard, if you want EMG.
Also, definitely get Dunlop "staplok" strap holders. W doesn't sell them. They're awesome. Strap NEVER falls off, but they look just like normal buttons.

well i have now ordered everything i need. most came from warmoth and a small amount from Thomann in Germany.
Shipping is going to kill me getting 3 seprate orders coming in from overseas to the UK.
More updates to follow as stuff arrives and i start building it all.
Thanks for all your help!

Panic, that's a  bad ass looking Tele. I usually don't like pickguards. But man that think is going to be off the F#$*%ing hook....... :icon_thumright:

Oh and photochop skillZ look great, but the bridge needs to be a little closer to the bridge pick up...... :kewlpics:      :rock-on:
testhq3.jpg

tfarny said:
Just skimmed the above - honestly, the electronics are pretty easy. That's the easiest part imho. Get a decent-wattage iron (40 is fine) and good light-duty solder from radio shack and take it slow.
This is quite true and a very inpotent part of the electronics equation......But I got a supercharged iron...90 watts...More power..... :headbang1:

That doesn't look bad at all :)
I have often thought about a fr Deluxe, but the last time I checked, the Deluxe is the only body shape they won't or can't route for any type of tremolo. (I wonder why that is)

Still, it looks great!

NonsenseTele said:
Neck plate: I suggest one custom from our good friend Dangerous R6 here...

Electrics: four 25K pot, two 0.1µF capacitors for tone control if the pickups are EMG

The jack must be stereo (said on EMG site) don't know why  :)

+1 on the custom neck plate.

If you go with EMGs, and like the 81 /85 combo, consider the Zack Wilde kit.  It has everything you would need for that except the three-way switch.  The reason for the stereo jack with EMGs is that the battery connects to the other "channel" on the stereo jack.  That way when the guitar does not have a cable plugged in, the battery is disconnected from the circuit to prolong battery life (just like with stomp boxes).

panicproject said:
i did have a look at the zakk wylde kit but decided to go with a emg81/emg60 combo!!

Good choice. I have that set in my limited run Dean ML and they scream. I think I might like the 85 better than the 60, though. My opinion changes daily... :laughing11:

DocNrock said:
NonsenseTele said:
Neck plate: I suggest one custom from our good friend Dangerous R6 here...

Electrics: four 25K pot, two 0.1µF capacitors for tone control if the pickups are EMG

The jack must be stereo (said on EMG site) don't know why  :)

+1 on the custom neck plate.

If you go with EMGs, and like the 81 /85 combo, consider the Zack Wilde kit.  It has everything you would need for that except the three-way switch.  The reason for the stereo jack with EMGs is that the battery connects to the other "channel" on the stereo jack.  That way when the guitar does not have a cable plugged in, the battery is disconnected from the circuit to prolong battery life (just like with stomp boxes).
Heht, that's funny NonsenseTele is giving me props and he ain't even botherd to order one yet...Way to go Nonsense... Me and Panic are working out the details of his neck plate, something should show up pretty soon..... :icon_thumright:

Marko said:
That doesn't look bad at all :)
I have often thought about a fr Deluxe, but the last time I checked, the Deluxe is the only body shape they won't or can't route for any type of tremolo. (I wonder why that is)

Still, it looks great!
Was just looking over the Delux options and ther is no mention of them not being able to route for a floyd?  It does say it comes standard with the 6 hole flat mount bridge style, but I see no reason a floyd couldn't be cut instead...May have to modify the pickguard a bit.... :dontknow:

DangerousR6 said:
This would be my version......... :headbang1:
2681757978_3c9ec04699_o.jpg

That looks like a supercharged Tele, as well.  I'm just wondering what an ebony freboard would look like, though. :icon_thumright:

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:
This would be my version......... :headbang1:
2681757978_3c9ec04699_o.jpg

That looks like a supercharged Tele, as well.  I'm just wondering what an ebony freboard would look like, though. :icon_thumright:
Ebony would be too much black, need a lighter color fretboard in between the pickguard and the headstock to break it up a bit... :guitarplayer2:

Back