My new strat body!

The question to use earvana or not depends on your experience with normal nuts. When playing on a well set-up guitar, do you still hear pitch discrepancies and tuning problems in your chords? If so, does it drive you crazy or is it livable? I would only use the earvana nut if normal nuts drive you crazy. This is the situation with me, and I found it worked really well.

I would think the brass nut would make open chords sound more bar-chordy. No experience, though.

corian...love it on my LPS hardtail

If you are using a whammy...I would go for Graphite...  works VERY well with the Wilkinson I installed. 

rockskate4x said:
I like the third neck. Matching headstocks and contrasting boards always look good.

As I keep studying on it and looking in warmoth's guitar gallery, I think I'm coming to this conclusion as well.  Looks like it will likely end up being Goncalo with Ebony fingerboard.  This is exicting!  My first real build from the ground up.

If anyone needs a good birdseye maple neck, it's up for sale on that auction site we all know about.  It is a killer neck, just doesn't match this guitar body and I don't need more guitars, lol.  No more room to house them, feed them, send them to school, etc. LOL

Oh, ...I just saw a neck that might really look good on this axe.  How about, ...a Padouk Neck with Bloodwood fingerboard?  The bloodwood stripes in the body would play off of the fingerboard, and from reading Warmoth's website, Padouk ages to a warm brown with use and I've been told Goncalo turns reddish as it is exposed to sunlight and/or ages.  Interesting combination.  Plus, the Padouk is supposed to be bright which would keep me in the range of tone of the birdseye maple neck I sold but loved so much.  What about that?  I'd post a paint rendering but here at work they block my access to photo sharing sites. 

Im still rooting for the Goncalo/Ebony, that looked so awesome. I also was thinking about grabbing this haha. Now the other one they have is 270...What? Anyways I cant wait to see this thing with some oil on it. What pickups are you thinking about getting?

I think I'm still rooting for the goncalo/ebony too.  I'm just trying to be careful so I don't get something and then be like "oops!  I wish I'd gotten this...".  

I already have the pickup set that I love:  Dimarzio Pro Track neck, Cruiser Neck in middle, and Fast Track 2 in the bridge.  I love this combo.

Here's what it would look like with bloodwood:

7.jpg

After reading tons of posts and compiling information I believe I'm going to finish in Tung Oil rather than Tru-Oil.  The only question left to answer is whether to stain the mahogany back of the body, ...and if so, what color.  To stain, not to stain, to stain, not to stain.  I'm leaning toward not staining.  Oh, and what color grain filler.

I'm wondering if it would make that mahogany look luscious.  Hmm....  Natural?  Cherry probably wouldn't match the top well.  Mahogany stain?  Votes?  Maybe I should see if I can find a piece of mahogany and test stains on it, but I don't know where to get a small piece of scrap mahogany.  Does Home Depot or Lowes sell that kind of thing?

Death by Uberschall said:
Check out my Tele "Blue" to see how good mahogany looks cleared.

http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=8334.0

HOLY Dog Snot!  That is incredible!!!!!!  Gorgeous axe man!  I read somewhere on here to apply alcohol to my guitar body to see what it would look like oiled, so I tried that a little while ago and boy was I impressed!  I'm thinking all natural, but probably still need grain filler.

Did you use grain filler on that axe?  Or did it come prefinished?

Anything can be "preferred" but that doesn't mean that other alternatives don't work.  What I read was that you could use either.

tt0511 said:
Would you recommend Brown or Mahogany colored grain filler guys?
That would really depend on what you like, some people use clear. Some use the darker colors, I used black grain filler on mine... :dontknow:
Spalttele9.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
That would really depend on what you like, some people use clear. Some use the darker colors, I used black grain filler on mine... :dontknow:

I believe the PC term is African American grain filler.  You are Dangerous.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
DangerousR6 said:

I believe the PC term is African American grain filler.  You are Dangerous.
:laughing11:....I'm usually not PC.... :icon_biggrin:

Back