My Mahogany/Pau Ferro Tele Build

The black dots and Celtic Cross at the 12th were a custom job I paid Warmoth extra for. Normally, you can only get all dots, all Celtic Crosses, or just a double dot or Cross at the 12th, NOT a mix of both. To get dot with the Cross at the 12th I had to basically pay for TWO inlay jobs; one on the machine to do the Cross, another to have them inlay the dots by *hand* since there was no program on their equipment that would delete just the 12th fret. I really wanted that Cross at just the 12th :)

The material is black synthetic and it looks really good. They also did the side dots in black which I kind of wish they hadn't. My understanding when I ordered was I was getting the usual bright white side dots. In a lighted room, no problem, turn the lights down at all and you basically have no dot markers to reference. I am getting used to it though and it is actually kind of a good thing in that it is forcing me to learn my position on the neck my intuition and not sight referencing dot markers (I would still like the white side dots though if I could).

Thanks for the kind words. It is a striking neck and plays beautifully.

I got white side dots on my bloodwood fretboard w/black dots.  I nearly went with black all around. It took an email, but I got the varied colour since there's no option for it otherwise.

Today I finished the Tele build. Done-done. Last thing was I added a 3-way ON/ON/ON toggle to switch the GFS bridge in a Humbucker/South Coil/Parallel configuration. Together with the Toneshaper module with 5-way switch, that added a LOT to the tonal variations the guitar is capable of delivering. Clean glassy Strat-like, SRV neck single coil and clean blues, Texas ZZ Top blues rock to Satriani-ish hard rock to honkin' mid-range-laden chicken-scratch. Took a few weeks to get it right but it is now and I love it.

Neck action is pretty good. Little higher than I would like but whatever. The G string seems to be the limiting factor, perhaps after a few months of playing it the frets will dimple a bit and maybe (?) improve the situation enough to lower the G string (and others relative to it) a 10th of a millimeter or so. Totally not worried about it. It is much better since I ditched the DR extra lights and switched back to Ernie Ball stainless medium Slinkys.

Below are a few final outdoor "glamor" shots. Sorry for sucking your bandwidth but the guitar deserves decent pics.

See you guys again in a few months when (if) I start my L5S build :)

Tele_Build_20120901_03.JPG

Tele_Build_20120901_04.JPG

Tele_Build_20120901_05.JPG

Tele_Build_20120901_06.JPG

Tele_Build_20120901_08.JPG

Tele_Build_20120901_09.JPG

Very nice! That thing is gorgeous! You must be very pleased.

I'm curious how you got the "Made in USA" part of the Warmoth emblem to transfer. Also, why on the back of the headstock? I'd think you'd be proud to display the thing's pedigree. Those who know better will have greater respect, and the rest don't matter.

Cagey said:
Very I'm curious how you got the "Made in USA" part of the Warmoth emblem to transfer. Also, why on the back of the headstock? I'd think you'd be proud to display the thing's pedigree. Those who know better will have greater respect, and the rest don't matter.

I heated the paper up slightly with a heat gun before peeling it off. I did have to give a couple letters some help with the tip of an xacto blade but they eventually came off.

I thought a lot about the placement of the logo. On the one hand, I wanted the clean look of a logo-less headstock but at the same time, I really wanted something to identify the guitar as a Warmoth build.  So I compromised and put it on the back of the headstock. I am definitely not ashamed of it's origin; it is a US made guitar in every sense and I am happy to let people who ask know that by flipping the guitar over, showing them the back and explaining what a "Warmoth" is. On my Strat, which is a Warmoth body and a Fender neck, I did something simlar, putting the Warmoth logo on the back of the body near the neck plate. It's purely a low-profile, under-stated cosmetics preference.

Hmmm... I'll have to try that on the next one. So few things are made here any more, seems like it should be pointed out when it is.

Its looks amazing, makes me jealous that i didnt think of it first. :doh:  :icon_biggrin:

:rock-on:

Back