My husband has a finishing problem - can someone offer advice?

hannaugh

Master Member
Hi all, I haven't been on the forum in forever, but I'll post another thread about that later.  Right now my husband has a finishing question for a coffee table he is building, and I thought there would be some good advice for him on the forum considering how good some of you all are at finishing.  So here's his question:

The top of the table is poplar, dyed walnut brown.  After using a wood putty crayon (they probably have a real name, but I don't know what it is) to fill the holes left by the brad nails, the top was brushed with Varathane semi gloss polyurethane.  The poly is brand new.  Over most of the surface, it cured perfectly fine.  But over the nail holes, where the putty is, it simply doesn't cure.  It leaves a tacky spot that dust adheres to, leaving big obvious dust globs in the shape of the nail holes.  The top also has a trim of figured maple around the edge.  A different putty crayon was used to fill the holes in that (ya know, since it's a different color).  The same poly was used on this, and over THOSE nail holes, it cured just fine.  What on earth is going on, and how do I fix it?

Hey I've been missing you, good to hear from you!

Well since the finish is only failing over the dark color putty there is definitely some incompatibility issue with it and the finish. I would check with the manufacturer of the putty (they should have an 800 help number) and get their thoughts on what is going on.

The only thing I would think that could help is a dab of shellac which is the great barrier coat for problem finishes but that may change the look of the finish.

Hey Hannaugh!

Nice to hear from you.  I'd use the shellac trick.  It's a great interface between finishes.

Did you ever make a tele?

Awesome guys, I knew you would come through! 

And yeah, we're still working on the Tele.  I had to put everything on the back burner for a while.  I'll update the thread soon. 

Back