My first gig in almost 20 years....

tfarny

Master Member
is coming up. I'm in a 'rock band class' at a local guitar school, they provide rehearsal space, backline, drum kit, and a teacher for 8 weeks and book you into an actual club for a short gig at the end. I ended up in the 'blues theme' class, we're doing five of your standard blooz covers - that was the only class with space, plus I'm not a metal guy or anything, no studs welded to my face or hockey masks in the closet. We'll be at Arlene's Grocery in the Lower East Side on Aug 1, an established Manhattan club. I'm playing bass for two songs, drums for one and vocals / slide guitar for the other two. I know for a lot of you that's no biggie, you play out a lot but I haven't done this since I was a teenager playing at parties with my buddies.
So, any advice in general? I'll post pics and maybe a bootleg video if possible.

1 bring a second guitar. obvious, i know, but DO IT.

2 dont stand in one place looking down at your hands with a blank look on your face. smile, have fun.... and run around!

3 make sure you're intonated properly.

4 change the string prior to the show. I hate when people get on stage and have dead strings.

5 HAVE FUN. 

:headbang:

smavridis said:
1 bring a second guitar. obvious, i know, but DO IT.

So he can play bass and slide.

smavridis said:
2 dont stand in one place looking down at your hands with a blank look on your face. smile, have fun.... and run around!

It's the blues.

smavridis said:
3 make sure you're intonated properly.

Slide?

smavridis said:
4 change the string prior to the show. I hate when people get on stage and have dead strings.

Probably not a bad idea.

smavridis said:
5 HAVE FUN. 

+1

If you're changing those strings - STRETCH THEM!

Also,

Bring a spare of each type of cable you'll be using.  Also bring a spare set of strings and (if you're not using planet waves) a string winder.  And I hope this is obvious - bring a tuner  :icon_biggrin:

And relax.  No one will notice the occasional bad note.  Freak out on them with crazy slide stuff and have fun.

Thanks everybody! Sounds like all are regular boy scouts when it comes to preparation, all good ideas. I fully intend to have a blast.
And, Smav, you really don't know what slide guitar is?  :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gukFvG8VbK4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gukFvG8VbK4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

smavridis said:
you dont need to be intonated to slide?

Sure, but ballpark, not exact like a fretted instrument.  Anyway, this is a thread hi-jack of the highest order.  This is about a first gig in 20 years.

Break a leg Tfarny, and get the itch to keep doing it.

Dress cool (temp wise) and comfortable.  Have some fresh batteries available even if your using AC adapters.

Have fun and break a leg!

Back