My box arrived but..................(NEW COMPLETED PICTURE ADDED)

Unwound G

those new Kinman P90Hx are too tall.  I have to whip out the router, make a template and deepen the cavities.  Don't think I can get this baby ready for this weekend's jam....... :sad1:

CarvedTopTele-BirdsEyeResized.jpg

CarvedTopTele-KinmanP90HxResized.jpg

KinmanP90Hxheight.jpg

man that thing is hot!

did warmoth start making carved top teles? i know this was in popular demand a while back.

I am for sure a tele guy - but the carved tops didn't really interest me - until this one OMG that thing is HOT - you are giving me GAS something fierce and I haven't even finished build #2 or #3 yet.

What neck are you using ?

those PUs are borderline.  I would put the neck and bridge on.  You may be surprised and not need to route.

dmraco said:
those PUs are borderline.  I would put the neck and bridge on.  You may be surprised and not need to route.

+1, P90s should sit up relatively high, you adjust the pole pieces up/down rather than the whole pickup

jackthehack said:
dmraco said:

+1, P90s should sit up relatively high, you adjust the pole pieces up/down rather than the whole pickup

+2. What they said.

If they're a tad too tall, you could add a tiny shim to the neck instead of routing out the cavities. Awesome body!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!

Warmoth started making carved top Teles around 6 months or more ago.  As a Tele purist, I was not that keen but when the Anniversary sale came on I ordered one as a fun project.  Around the same time, Chris Kinman informed me that his humless P90s are also in production.  It was an opportunity to incorporate both in the same project.

As for the neck, I have a few lying around in stock.  I matched them with the body and found the Rosewood/Rosewood looks best.  It has already been oiled with Watco so there is no extra work to do except installing the tuning keys.

As for the pickup cavities, I only need to do the neck since the bridge protrudes slightly less than 1cm (3/8") out of the cavity which in general is how high the pickup should be with a Half-Tele bridge.

Will post some pictures when it is done.  

That carved tele is a beauty  :headbang1: :glasses9: :headbang1:
Be sure to keep us filled with pics as she progresses.
:rock-on:

OMG! That guitar is just too hot :headbang1:. The GAS is kicking in big time.

Never been a fan of the plain old tele, but a carved top F hole tele..now you are talking. :party07:

And those p90's, I wish I had known about them before I ordered my Rio Grande's, might just have to build another guitar just to to try them out.

I'm looking forwards to watching this build evolve. Carved top Tele's are kind of a weird thought for me, but they're growing on me pretty quickly. The finish on yours is top notch!

Outstanding body!  What are the specs??

Is that a honey burst finish?  Also what kind of flame is that - AAA / unique choice or just "luck of the showcase"?

What's your plan for the controls, you going for volume + tone + 3 way toggle?  Are those just mapped to the strat template and put on a tele body?

Congratulations on a great find in any case.

Back