My "Black Cat Strat"

Thanks backhair, the Warmoth guys really did a great job making the body and neck exceptional, I added my touch and details after alot of "research and planning", something I dont think gets enough talk about on the site, but its really the beautifull craftsmanship that the Warmoth guys do that sets it over the top. Warmoth Rocks!  :toothy12:

I'm really digging the rounded over pickup covers. Very classic (and I mean 1954) looking. :icon_thumright: I'm thinking about doing the same to my black Strat now.

Gotta say it's my fave Strat I've seen on here so far.  :kewlpics:
Beautifully shaped nut, did you do it ?

Can I ask, what did you use to round the board edges ?

Only one thing I think you need to do... put a Warmoth logo on it, too many people put Fender logo's and i think that's so wrong !!  :doh:
It gives credence to fender that they simply don't deserve.

wolf5150 said:
Gotta say it's my fave Strat I've seen on here so far.  :kewlpics:

Only one thing I think you need to do... put a Warmoth logo on it, too many people put Fender logo's and i think that's so wrong !!   :doh:

Man stop with the fender bashing :p  :laughing7:

strats are quite simply the best alrounder that doesnt cram you into a stereotype. Ibanez, dean, BC rich (not implying you like these) but they obviously give guitars that shredder image which at times can be a very negative image to persue as a musician looking to teach or any of those things. It's just a sad fact that people make judgements based on the first few seconds they see you, and its been my experience musicians who use strats tend to be a bit more accepted as guitarists. I know thats not a reason to "like" them or even buy one and you should always go with what you like. Just be aware that the largest majority of professionals aren't rockstars you have to be paticularly image concious. If you dressed in jeans/ jumper and plays a strat, your much more lilely to get that job teachin in a school as apposed to the guy wearing boots and leather and swinging his dean axe. He may play amazingly well but it can be viewed by some as being immature and its an image that can be very negative.

edit:

ok, my mistake, your beef is with the fender logo on a strat, not a strat! my mistake!

well, i guess its personal preference, i would take a warmoth strat over a fender, but i guess it wouldn't look quite right.

wolf5150 said:
Gotta say it's my fave Strat I've seen on here so far.  :kewlpics:

Only one thing I think you need to do... put a Warmoth logo on it, too many people put Fender logo's and i think that's so wrong !!   :doh:

Yes I do all the work on the nut and everywhere else on my guitars myself (though I bought this pickup set prewired and the nut installed by Warmoth for simplicity of the build process), I did another graphtech nut on this guitar recently and it is much nicer looking than this, the nut too me is the toughest most critical detail on the electric guitar, lots of practice to get these right, I can say Im finally confident and proud of my ability to make a nut properly at this point, and it truley is the difference between a good sounding electric and a great sounding one.

Heres the details to rounding the finger board edges, I included the whole link as some other guys have some great Ideas as well so you can decide what works best for your needs. http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=12300.0

A little sandpaper and a sanding sponge is all I used for any rounding of the covers and knobs and neck edges or saddle corners etc......I wasn't going for total vintage aging mostly just for comfort but still looking presentable...

No logos for me, I hate comercials on t.v. and radio so I can only proudly tell those that ask its a Warmoth, .....which by the way isnt long after they pickup my guitar... and usually say...Man!! ...that neck is Fat!!!...lol...Yep its a Warmoth Fatback...lol    

I am loving this guitar more each day and I have always loved the Strat over all other guitars, primarily because it is the guitar I started on so I find its weight,balance, contours and neck very comfortable, over time I have come to expect a guitar to have the detailed response and the bell like quality only a strat can give, so I always find myself reverting back to it after playing on other styles of guitar, I specifically made this one with single coils ala standard strat as when I put humbuckers on I always long to hear those detailed single coil notes and find myself obssesing to recreat that specific tone and sound with my humbuckers ( usually by wiring them in parallel ) so I thought I would save myself the grief this time around and just go single coil from the start, I do have the body routed for a humbucker in the bridge however and can swap out the pickguard if I feel the need to do so....but with all my effects I dont find that necessary and I can still get the pure blues tones by cleaning things up.  The Strat is the Best..which is why I love Warmoth so much...they do it right, and to your specs...hehehe.. :laughing7:

Because I was so honest about the fate of my last Warmoth Strat, I felt compelled to be straight up about the Black Cat Strat as well......

This guitar is gone, sold for much,much less than it was worth, as is the nature of the used instrument buisness.

Another lost love, story of heartache and  saddness and all that goes with it, .......however, .....also the begining to another life adventure and a journey to more unseen places and interesting people. 

It was an awesome guitar to play on and I hope the new owner learns all kinds of new, killer guitar licks and riffs on it.

:icon_smile:

'Very nice guitar. I can't stand thick necks, but I DO like the way you angled the bridge pickup. Paul Gilbert did the same thing on his single-coil equipped Fireman guitars. That's gotta be great for getting Hendrix tones.

'Looks great.  :guitarplayer2:

Superbeast520 said:
Because I was so honest about the fate of my last Warmoth Strat, I felt compelled to be straight up about the Black Cat Strat as well......

This guitar is gone, sold for much,much less than it was worth, as is the nature of the used instrument buisness.

Another lost love, story of heartache and  saddness and all that goes with it, .......however, .....also the begining to another life adventure and a journey to more unseen places and interesting people. 

It was an awesome guitar to play on and I hope the new owner learns all kinds of new, killer guitar licks and riffs on it.

Sorry for your loss - that sure was a pretty guitar.  If I may be nosey, why did you sell it?

man, i'm sorry to hear that. this was definitely one badass guitar. one of the few non-over the top vintage-style strats i really liked on this site.

hope it funded a new project, or at least some good times!

CrackedPepper said:
Superbeast520 said:

Another lost love, story of heartache and  saddness and all that goes with it, .......however, .....also the begining to another life adventure and a journey to more unseen places and interesting people.  

Sorry for your loss - that sure was a pretty guitar.  If I may be nosey, why did you sell it?

My life has been one travel after another since I have been 17 so my guitars come and go as my travels and adventures do, where I go and how I get there at times dosn't allow for the extra weight and burden an ax would be, unfortunantly this isnt 1969 when free love and acid, and being a hippie with a guitar and dream were enough to rule the world.
I try to live the life most live but dont find it possible for one reason or another I still havn't figured, though I have seen almost every major city in the United States, with Alaska, Canada and Hawaii still open on my list so maybe one of those will be my next home and stomping grounds.
Until my next Warmoth creation....I wish you all the best on your builds and life experiences.

AutoBat said:
Maybe you can get a regular sized wang-bar on your next one :laughing11:

Nahh....wang bars are for guys who like to yank on their rod all day.....I like taking the time to learn the chords and progressions and licks that compliment them.......

Max said:
"His wang-bar never was the biggest in the locker room..."  :laughing7:

ever notice that the only guys you ever hear talking about the size of their wang, are those that wish they had it........wish away boy.

Superbeast520 said:
My life has been one travel after another since I have been 17 so my guitars come and go as my travels and adventures do, where I go and how I get there at times dosn't allow for the extra weight and burden an ax would be, unfortunantly this isnt 1969 when free love and acid, and being a hippie with a guitar and dream were enough to rule the world.
I try to live the life most live but dont find it possible for one reason or another I still havn't figured, though I have seen almost every major city in the United States, with Alaska, Canada and Hawaii still open on my list so maybe one of those will be my next home and stomping grounds.
Until my next Warmoth creation....I wish you all the best on your builds and life experiences.

An old and dear friend of mine who is regretfully no longer with us had a saying that I've taken to heart in my later years... "You can't hitchhike with a safe."

Baggage comes in a lot of shapes and forms, and it's all either heavy to start with or becomes so. Trying to carry it all will put some serious hurt on you, often for no good reason.

Back