Multi Effects pedals whats nice good system..

I am selling some vintage pedals to fund a multieffect pedal too.. so I am interested in opinions too!

I am looking for something under 500 and leaning towards the vox tonelab. I loved my old digitec rp2000, but most digitech and zoom pedals sound too digital and compressed to me. so I am looking for something easy to use and with fairly natural tones.
did anybody try the rocktron utopia?

I've owned a number of different models and never been truly happy. I currently have a Korg AX1500G unit, it's OK, but you have to endlessly futz with the thing to dial in and save usable sound and do different versions of each based on pickups used.

I've liked the yamaha stomps which are no longer made and the POD's, which were constantly breaking on me.

I've always liked BOSS stuff because it's indestructible. My favorite was the ME-X, the huge one that had a built-in processor along with spaces for three regular pedals! They can be gotten cheap on the Bay.

I prefer multi-FX that you can operate with your feet, meaning you can 'stomp' the chorus in and out of one setting, rather than change to a whole other preset.

But if Santa put an Eventide or TC rack toy in my stocking, I'd probably learn to adapt...  :party07:

I've had a Boss ME-5, ME-10, a Zoom, a POD and  a Flextone amp.

I only REALLY got what I would call a "happening" tone when I ditched all that crap for a bunch of pedals.  But not everybody is looking for the same thing.  i really think less is more, and the fewer connections in a signal chain the better.  But don't ask me why I have 13 pedals on my board right now  :dontknow:

Let me add I've also owned various zoom and digitech units.  The only one I haven't tried is the BOSS multi pedal unit.  As you can probably tell I use pedals.  I've presently reduced them to four essentials (for me):eek:verdrive, univibe, delay and a tuner.  reverb in the amp.

Just about anything made by Boss you can't go wrong with. I have a gazillion Boss foot pedals and a Boss digital 4 track recorder, and have never had any issues with any of them... :icon_thumright:

I also have a Sony multi Fx processor, which a lot easier to deal with. It has 200 presets with 7 fx per preset. Once you have dialed in what fx you want on the preset channel, you can easily footswitch back and forth between presets...

Digitech GSP1101 and its Control 2 footcontroller. You can use it just for effects or use all of the preamps as well. I am very pleased with the versatility and sound of this unit.

I have a Boss ME 50 which is cool for 2 reasons.

1) It uses rotary knobs like stomp boxes do. I prefer this to having endless menus that need programming.
2) It features a really good "reverse delay" which I've only found on expensive single delay units (which cost more than a decent priced ME50 anyway).

If you MUST have a multi-effects pedal, you'll need to buy a seperate overdrive pedal.

The multi-effects sound real good until you kick in the over drive section. Then it all goes hell.

I have owned more of those things than I care to remember and leanred this. If you're playing at home or recording, a digital multi-effects unit works great.

If you're a gigging musician, you will only frustrate yourself and everyone around you with a multi-effects unit as you spend half the night bending over trying desperately to make the thing sound decent. It won't.

Check out the Boss units.  Up until recently, I was using a GT-3 connected with the 4 cable method.  I have recently upgraded to the GT-10 based on reports of much improved sonic clarity in the time-based effects.  While I agree with Telenator about MOST multi-effects pedal overdrives, the ones in the GT-10 are pretty usable (caveat is that I only use them as a booster for my amp's preamp tube overdrive/distortion, and I do not use the amp emulator distortions for this purpose).  It does have emulations of the Ratt Pro Co, Tube Screamer, etc., which sound tonally accurate to my ear, anyway. 

To get the most out of these units, however, you need to use the 4 cable method of wiring them to your rig.  These units have their own send/receive loop.  Setup goes like this:

Guitar -> Boss GT input.  Boss GT send -> Amp guitar input.  Amp effects loop send -> GT receive.  GT send -> amp return.

What this accomplishes is that all non-time based effects like compression, overdrive, wah, etc. all go in front of the guitar preamp as you would with pedals.  The amp send then goes to back to the GT and the time-based effects are added (reverb, delay, chorus, etc.).  This final signal then goes to the amp's power section.

When disconnected from your rig, it can be used for recording.  This is where the amp emulation settings can be used handily.

For reference, I also have a Digitech GNX4.  While it is cool for recording and downloading patches, etc., I personally don't like it for "live" applications because it does not have the send/receive like the Boss units.  For use with an amp, GNX4 = plug into front of clean amp only, IMHO.

I traded a recent Tube Screamer for this and I've never looked back or regretted it.

l_30b1600fb2359f4f1f0468259635d6f4.jpg

Vox Valvetronix SE.  I don't think they make them anymore since all the other modeling pedalboards (like the GNX) come with lots of other things like recording software, drum machines, loops, etc.  This just has effects and amp models.  You can save them into banks so its a breeze to switch between them.  I have some banks programmed with amp models for when I'm running through the mixing board and other banks without the amp & speaker models for when I'm running through an amp.

As far as how it sounds...  I know its blasphemy for a guitarist to say this, but I prefer it to using an amp these days.  I can hear myself in the monitors better than ever, I don't need to crank anything too loud to get the sound I need.  And I have a versatility that I did'nt get when I was using two overflowing pedalboards.  The overdrive and distortion sounds are far better than average, the chorus/phase/flanger sounds are all great (but I rarely use them since that's not really my thing), the delays are fantastic, so are the reverbs.  The wah does its job too.

Vol. Knob said:
I traded a recent Tube Screamer for this and I've never looked back or regretted it.

Vox Valvetronix SE.  I don't think they make them anymore since all the other modeling pedalboards (like the GNX) come with lots of other things like recording software, drum machines, loops, etc.  This just has effects and amp models.  You can save them into banks so its a breeze to switch between them.  I have some banks programmed with amp models for when I'm running through the mixing board and other banks without the amp & speaker models for when I'm running through an amp.

As far as how it sounds...  I know its blasphemy for a guitarist to say this, but I prefer it to using an amp these days.  I can hear myself in the monitors better than ever, I don't need to crank anything too loud to get the sound I need.  And I have a versatility that I did'nt get when I was using two overflowing pedalboards.  The overdrive and distortion sounds are far better than average, the chorus/phase/flanger sounds are all great (but I rarely use them since that's not really my thing), the delays are fantastic, so are the reverbs.  The wah does its job too.

That is what I like to hear.. I think this is what I am looking for, but.. isn't this the Tonelab???
anyway, I am looking for something that is great to use for (home) recording too. I heard the replacement of this model (with 1 expression pedal) is even better.

Vol. Knob said:

Another vote for the VOX Tonelab - I'm running an LE version and it's great.  I just show up at the gig, slap it down on the floor, hook up to the PA, get a good monitor mix, and I'm DONE!  BTW, the overdrive sounds are great - very natural and dynamic.  It has that "play hard to get dirty, back off to get clean" thing going on.  It's all I use anymore, although I am worried about it dying on me during a show.  BTW, the amps I have around the house are a 66 super reverb, a 65 deluxe reverb (re-issue), two AC30 clones, and one marshall plexi clone.  With the exception of the super and the plexi, they have not been turned on in months... and I only turned on the plexi to make sure it worked before I sold it ! :icon_tongue: :icon_tongue: :icon_tongue:

I'd love to get a triaxis and stick it in the fx loop of a GSP1101 or something, so I can get real tube distortion with the compressor before and the reverb after... perfection...  :guitaristgif:

Back