Looking to upgrade from the Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal

rauchman

Greetings,

I have a Boss ME-50 from a loooong time ago, and would like something newer/better.  I run this through the FX loop of my Peavey Classic 50 head.

Anyone have experience with the Boss GT100, Boss GT1000 or Line6 HD500x?  Something other?

Would like to have a looper
Chain the effects as I'd like
Expression pedal
Separate input/output for FX loop and separate input/output for in front of the amp
> $500 (I know the GT1000 is about 2x that)
Don't need a NASA degree to operate

Thanks!

As I recall, the Classic 50 was already a channel switcher w/ reverb, pre/post gain, and sounded pretty good on its own. So, what other effects do you actually need? It might be easier to find some discrete pedals on the used market to fill in what's missing (delay, chorus, etc.).  Sfx pedals don't commit slow suicide like tube amps do - they pretty much either work or they don't - but like all musical gear their value generally drops off fairly fast so deals are easy to find. Maybe make a small pedalboard that doesn't require an engineering degree to operate, and call it a love story. Plus, as time goes on if you find something to add or maybe replace an existing widget with something you like better, it's easier to do than replacing an all-in-one unit.

You might want to take a look at the TC Plethora X5 that is due to go on sale shortly.
Other options would be a Line 6 HXFX

Or you could go the other way and simplify with either a Holy Stain, Tone Tattoo or Turnip Greens, or a tech 21 fly rig. 
I could figure out the tech 21 richie kozen, and it was pretty good.  The turnip greens gets me through the night, so it's all right, s'all right.

Sometimes less is less, other times it really is what you need.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhPA1wvLsCY[/youtube]

Back