muliple amp heads

GoDrex

I'm just wondering how it works. For example there's this site called guitargeek that supposedly shows the rigs of famous guitarists. Sometimes they show an elaborate signal chain. Other times it's simple. But they don't explain how the multiple head set ups are connected.

like these:
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/495/ - Toni Iommi 1971
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/312/ - Angus Young

ok so they show them plugged into one amp - but what's up with the other heads? How is the signal going into them? They don't say anything about using any kind of splitter. So if they're re-amping the signal how is that accomplished? If not what are they doing?

this one shows a splitter and a/b/y box so it makes more sense to me.
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/379/ - Dave Grohl

I want Tony Iommi's rig.  That'd be a monster.

It could be that they've used the 2nd input of amp1 as an jumper across to the 1st input of amp2 and so on.  Basically just all the inputs in parallel.  Thats how Jimi used to do it. 

Or.... If the amps are fitted with FX loops, use the Preamp output (which is a non 'breaking' jack thus still passing the signal to Poweramp) of amp 1 to feed the Poweramp ('Break' jack) input of amp2. Dunno if they'd have been fitted to those types of amps in those days though?  :dontknow:

Maybe.........

As well, back in dem days, they would have several backup heads ready to rock should they blow one.

And of course, what they used live wasn't always the case in the studio.

One other thing to keep in mind is the people who create those rigs on that website aren't always accurate.

If you would like to use more than one head/amp, you can get volume/boost pedals with a buffered out.  The buffered out gain is set at unity and it allows you to run two amps with the signal from one guitar without dropping the gain off the pickups.  The problem with that set up is that they generally have a common ground, which when two amps use the same ground there can be a heaping load of hum.  To avoid this, there are A/B/Y units with transformers in them to isolate the guitar ground from amp one and and two, as well as amp one from amp two's ground.  It is a similar design of the isolated power supplies for pedals (the Voodoo 2 pedal power for instance) but for your signal.  In theory you could supply isolated signals to as many amps as you like by increasing the number of transformers, but at some point it would be impractical.
Patrick

My guitarist runs 2 heads off a delay pedal; 1 head runs dry through his Laney/Ampeg rig and the other runs wet through his Ampeg/Marshall rig. Makes his drop tuned LPs sound pretty beefy.

My gt-10 has stereo outputs.  Left goes to the tuber, right goes to the SS.
Someguys might piggyback through their fx loop too. send >>> amp input.
Or even the recording output.

EDIT:
My favorite rig on that site.
http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/464/

Thanks guys, but I'm aware of splitters and stereo effects. That's not what I was asking about. I happen to own a Lehle Little Dual so I know how that sort of stuff. works.

Volitions Advocate said:
My favorite rig on that site.
http://www.guitargeek.com/rigview/464/

Geez louise, that is a doozy.  In fact it's very similar to what I'd build if I had unlimited cash, though I'm sure my settings would be VERY different from the Orgy guy's.

Read through everything on the artist's layout, sometimes there are notes indicating signal path.

Tony Iommi: 1 Laney GH100TI head acts as the Master Pre-Amp which feeds the power amp sections of another seven Laney GH100TI heads. The other 2 remaining heads are backups.

As far as other setups, per guitargeek.com FAQ: Most major label artists are on extremely tight schedules and we are typically allotted only 15-20 minutes to speak with most of them. Since we chart the exact signal flow of each and every rig, this is usually barely enough time to cover the all the basics

Aside:
Does anybody know if there really is such a thing as a standalone d-beam controller? Or was Amir Derakh's a prototype?

I run my guitar in to my Boogie, then the line out goes into ART FXR then out to a Sovtek Mig 50 /Marshall 200w half stack and Princeton gives a broad tone pallete.

For Bass I run into a Boss Pro 4 band Para Eq/preamp then into an Acoustic B200H , effect loop with Scholz Chorus delay with the dry going back to the head pushing a 1x15 w horn and a 2x10 , the wet channel goes to the Sovtek Mig 50/Marshall

I've allways liked running multiple amps , have for 20 years

Wait a sec I just figured it out GoDrex.

Especially that massive Laney Rig.
He's only using one of them. the rest are for show.. just like the guy who has his sig-amp on stage but mics his actual preferred setup somewhere else that you can't see.

GoDrex said:
Does anyone read anymore? Just wonderin'  :icon_scratch:
If that was directed at me, yes I can read.  ???

You asked a question about how to link multiple heads together, I gave you an answer.

You could use the Mesa amp switcher to feed your guitar and pedal board to any combination of 4 amp inputs, or send a line out from a main head to 4 other amp power sections. And have it switchable on the fly.

I'm sorry but I didn't ask that. And I wrote twice about knowing about switchers. I even said that I own one. I understand how to use a switcher to use mulitple amps. I'm not personally trying to run more than one head. That isn't what I was looking for. I apologize for being crouchy, but it seems like people are just skimming what I wrote and writing stuff because they have some knowledge.

It's definately not "Rocket Science".  :icon_thumright:

The line outs/switchers/routers/splitters/multi output effects units are the answer. There's nothing magical in those set-ups.

What is it that you are asking then? What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm only trying to help. I've been in the hard core amp/rack/multi effects thing for a very long time.

I was just saying that i'll bet a lot of them are not actually using more than one amp.
Honestly I have no idea how they would do it.

Back