MOTHERPUNCHER: Neck Evolution update (5/7/12)

keeper006

So this is just an update to this old posting. When I first built this it started like this with a rosewood/ziricote explorer neck...

shadowsnake-albums-some-lefty-warmoth-builds-i-ve-done-picture296-prs-style-chambered-mahogany-body-w-flame-maple-cap-i-hand-rubbed-top-w-brown-dye-shot-trans-red-mahogany-back-neck-rosewood-w-ziricote-fretboard-ironically-after-i-built-prs-came-out-rosewood-neck-model-righty-only-course-their-cost-7000-my-total-build-cost-1000-booyah.jpg

shadowsnake-albums-some-lefty-warmoth-builds-i-ve-done-picture295-seymour-duncan-custom-5-bridge-sh-1-59-neck.jpg

But I robbed that neck to build an actual Warmoth Explorer (pics in the Misc gallery), so now this has this padouk neck, which matches the trans red back well-

guitar4.jpg

guitar3.jpg

guitar2.jpg

guitar1.jpg

I christen thee, SEXY SADIE

Also, how do I make friends with Warmoth employees? I demand some "Flame Oak"

nice color! but that headstock really puts me off :( I am curious, though, why you chose that particular style of headstock :)

Orpheo said:
nice color! but that headstock really puts me off :( I am curious, though, why you chose that particular style of headstock :)

He mentioned that he didn't want people to think it was a factory PRS or something, the Warmoth headstock looks very similar.

You'll get a lot of "I really like the guitar except for the [fill in the blank]".  Much of it will be unsolicited.  Nice axe!  Rock on!!  :guitaristgif:

Really nice job on that top, it's gorgeous!  And the ziricote board is a beauty as well.

CrackedPepper said:
You'll get a lot of "I really like the guitar except for the [fill in the blank]".  Much of it will be unsolicited.  Nice axe!  Rock on!!   :guitaristgif:

Yep. Worst of all is the "I really like the guitar except that it's not a real [Fender, Gibson, PRS, etc.]."

For the record, I think the pointy headstock looks way cool.  :icon_thumright:

I don't like the headstock because I generally don't like those types of headstocks.  :evil4:

But then again, everyone has different taste! Other than that, sweet guitar! Really envious about that neck! ;)

I think the Explorer headstock looks great! I had that same idea a few weeks ago, and I've been waiting to see it on a completed instrument. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us, and ignore any "I think it's ugly" comments. Ugly, like beauty, is in the beholder's eye.

CrackedPepper said:
I'd like to request a shot of the trans red back. It would be interesting to see what that looks like.  Thanks!

Sure thing Pepper, here you go...
DSCN7784.jpg

DSCN7786.jpg

DSCN7787.jpg

DSCN7788.jpg

DSCN7789.jpg

DSCN7790.jpg

DSCN7791.jpg

DSCN7792.jpg

DSCN7793.jpg

Nice love the fretboard, ziricote is sweet...to bad someone made it backwards.... :toothy12:

Sweet guitar (coming from a fellow lefty and forum newbie)!  Nothing wrong with that headstock - to each his own.  Variety is the spice of life, or something like that.  PRS has no love for the lefties so screw 'em.  You got a better guitar for less $$$.

I understand polar bears are left-paw dominant. Of course, they since they don't have opposable thumbs, it's tough for them to play guitar. There are also reports circulating that they're going extinct, but the smart money (which is based in fact) says they're not. I don't know, what with their being left-pawed and all.

Don't think it's really anybody being negative. When you have some of the custom things people here tend to do, there's usually going to be something about a given guitar people won't see the same way. Pablo hit it on the head, it just comes with posting a guitar. There's definitely a little extra risk when it's a pointy headstock on a VIP body.

For me the it's not the headstock, it's the skull knobs, which kind of distracts from the really nice finish on the body.

Beautiful guitar there and I, for one, love the Explorer headstock.  I'd put one on my kids ukulele if her mom would let me!  :icon_biggrin:

Back