Most Washed Up Hair Metal Band

I don't remember the term 'hair metal' even existing then. You were either a 'poser' or not. VH were not posers. Bon Jovi was. for example....

In order to be considered for possible hair metal status you require:

1. A blown out perm, and at least one guy with major feathering.
2. Multiple guys with fringey things on their clothes
3. Bandanna(s)
4. Stripper-type white girls in yer videos
5. A major power ballad as a hit. Bic time!

Grunge may not have produced many guitarists (Kim Thayil and...), but as a purifying force in fashion it did have its uses....

tfarny said:

3. Bandanna(s)

Grunge may not have produced many guitarists (Kim Thayil and...), but as a purifying force in fashion it did have its uses....

And a semi profile ephasizing the pooched out succulence of your insolent... pouting.... rectus....

tfarny said:

3. Bandanna(s)

You just described Skynyrd, which ain't hair metal.

In answer to the earlier question, I grduated HS in 91, but I got way into music at a very young age.  So, yeah, I lived through this.  Hair metal was the single biggest reason that I ever got into underground, off the radar, not played on the radio music.  So I guess I have that to thank them for. 

can I re-vote?  The more I think about it no matter how talented I think John and Ritchie are I think that might have sold out the most for going country.

I graduated from high school in 88 and I'm a self confessed metal kid.  The thash bands are (to me) the only ones with integrity.  Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth (and their little brothers) are their own little rebellion against hair metal and that's something to be proud of.  So leave them out of this.

Madien are still Maiden but Priest did release "Turbo".  That in itself is blasphemy.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
tfarny said:

3. Bandanna(s)

You just described Skynyrd, which ain't hair metal.

Yeah, the guitar tone plays heavily into this via the "metal" part.

That's why I used VH & KISS... neither do a metal tone... nor did Sambora (Bon Jovi).

FREE BIRD!   :headbang:

I'm from the class of '88.  There were quite a few Metalheads in my Jr High and High school, both.  I was among them.  Back then I was into Motorhead, Black Sabbath, those first two Ozzy albums, Celtic Frost, Metallica, VoiVod, Samhain, Coroner, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Andres Segovia, those first two Yngwie albums, Manitas DiPlata (flamenco), Al Dimeola, Paco Delucia, Venom, and so on.  The hair bands, as they're called now, never spoke to me.  They sounded like they were all show and no go.  I couldnt stand music that sounded like it was all about the party, like hair metal, even at a time in my life when I was all about chasing tail, scoring ditch weed, and attempting to buy alcohol.  Ah youth.  Well... I did like Roth era Van Halen...  But that was it.

How anyone can think that 200% of the "Hair Metal" or "Hair Bands" in general were NOT trying to be Van Halen escapes me.    Everything from the hairdoo to the clothing to the flashyness and tapping guitar solos with whammy bar dives etc.  Especially since Van Halen no longer had Roth, it seemed that every band wanted to be the new "old Van Halen".  Van Halen set the bar and provided a template for so many other bands out there.  Mind you, Eddie is killer, Van Halen (Roth era) were batting 1000 and had some really good ideas are were highly creative.  Their copycats were one dimensional in comparison.

I'm also amazed at how seriously the discussion is being taken, in terms of identifying just what "Hair Metal" is or isnt.  I think that if a band looks like all you need to do is put a dress on the lead vocalist to have him look like a cross-dresser, than its "Hair Metal", regardless of whether or not the music sounds like rock or country.

What I really wanna see is a "Hair Metal Tribute to Grunge" band.  Imagine hair metal garb, guitar pyrotechnics, high pitched sissy vocals, loads of reverb, overdramatic drumming, but Nirvana and Soundgarden songs.  That would be SWEET!

Vol. Knob said:
What I really wanna see is a "Hair Metal Tribute to Grunge" band.  Imagine hair metal garb, guitar pyrotechnics, high pitched sissy vocals, loads of reverb, overdramatic drumming, but Nirvana and Soundgarden songs.   That would be sweet!

YES

Vol. Knob said:
I'm also amazed at how seriously the discussion is being taken, in terms of identifying just what "Hair Metal" is or isnt.  I think that if a band looks like all you need to do is put a dress on the lead vocalist to have him look like a cross-dresser, than its "Hair Metal", regardless of whether or not the music sounds like rock or country.

I just playing devil's advocate because I really don't see how VH doesn't fit. I think more about them fits than doesn't. Except that some people like VH a lot so that's the main reason they don't fit. :laughing7:

Were we being serious? I wasn't aware! Any category of music that includes Stryper cannot really be taken seriously, can it?

Some people cannot stand any kind of fun in their music. It must be serious and meaningful dammit!! :laughing8:

tfarny said:
Were we being serious? I wasn't aware! Any category of music that includes Stryper cannot really be taken seriously, can it?

If you ignore the cheesy, predictable lyrics, they were as tight as any band of the day.

Yeah the whole I-look-like-a-female-bee thing never worked for me (stryper).

Back to the VH/hair metal thing - like I asked before, someone explain to me the "metal" part of Van Halen.

What exactly is it about Van Halen that is metal?

Anyone?

Is Poison hair metal? They never recorded anything has crushing as VH at their most intense.

Are the only bands on the list "metal" Ratt and Motley Crue?

Mean Street, Unchained, On Fire, Runnin With the Devil, Sinners Swing, D.O.A.,  Light Up the Sky, House Of Pain, Atomic Punk  etc. - all sound pretty heavy to me.

I really don't know.

I think "hair metal" is a misnomer. It should just be hair band.

btw - I'm a huge fan of DLR era VH. Even saw them twice in 82 and 84.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
tfarny said:

If you ignore the cheesy, predictable lyrics, they were as tight as any band of the day.

Yeah, I have to admit that I saw them once live... they were a 3-piece at the time, but really tight.
always liked their cover of shining star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xfg3TMUJQ

hannaugh said:
What about those guys that did "Balls to the Walls"?  That was pretty bad. 

that is because they were german...
the only german band that I enjoyed in the 80s was Helloween. kind of like Iron Maiden on steroids..

Accept? Udo rocks hahahaha  - - they were metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwKQi7HB_Gw

guitlouie said:
It's not even so much a Hagar Vs, Roth thing.  Roth was annoying as shitee.  But listen to Eddie playing Eruption, and listen to Eddie playing the elevator music that is Dreams.  Where has the FIRE gone Ed?  I dunno, but it IS GONE.  Atomic Punk Vs Summer Nights.  Mean Streets Vs. Top Of the World.  And On and On.  It is clearly not the same young inventive band.
Those were all from the first album 5150, give a listen to OU812, there's a lot of bad ass tracks on that cd. Even on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, that is a total kick ass cd. And one of the greatest songs they ever did was one for the movie Twister, called Humans Being, give a listen to that. And you also have to consider that musicians tastes change and evolve just like everyone else. When I was in my teens my dad listened to classical music and I couldn't stand it. But when I was about 21-22 I saw the movie Amadeus about Mozart, and have had a love for his work ever since. :dontknow:

Back