Irons in the Fire

DocNrock

Master Member
I've got a few of the proverbial irons in the fire.  I have enough, if not too many, guitars.  So, the plan was for a new body or a new neck here or there, a new body and neck and just use the hardware from an older build, and be open to whatever magic might happen to strike.  Only thing is, I've been so freakin' busy at work, I haven't had any time to sit down and work on these.  I'm doing a few things this weekend, though.

WARNING:  photo overload, below.  :icon_biggrin: 

I had built a Strat a few years ago that was loosely inspired by the Jackson Adrian Smith Strat.  The only similarities, really, are that it has the same pickups and it's a Strat.  If anyone has seen my thread about "Stranger in a Strange Land" (http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24946.0), I plan to make one that looks a bit different than his sig model, but virtually all of the defining features will be incorporated.  This is the guitar I have now.  The body and neck will be going up for sale after I get the new one built, as I'm using the hardware off of this one.  After it is built, this body and neck will be for sale if anyone is interested.  :icon_thumright:

Green Super Strats bring back the 80s.  Another interesting bit of trivia is that Motley Crue was originally going to call themselves "Christmas."  Anyway, I got some humorously negative feedback about this combo.  Words like "garish," and "Christmas ornament" were posted.  After seeing that, this guitar had to become a reality.  Not done building it yet, but it shouldn't be too much longer.  This is "Great Balls of Fire."

The hardware for GBOF is coming off of this guitar.  Again, the body and neck will be for sale after the guitar is done. 

Some of DangerousR6's awesome work will segue into the next ones.  For some reason, no matter how I hold the phone, the picture comes up rotated 90 degrees.  Sorry about that.  :tard:

Stranger in a Strange Land obviously goes with the not yet ordered or build Adrian Smith sig Strat build.  Daisy Duke goes to a build I am waiting on.  It is a chambered, carved top Velocity made of black korina with a quilt top finished with washed blue dye...the blue jean look.  The neck is a W headstock quartersawn maple neck with azurite malachite dots.  The carved top with the blue jean look made me think of what curves look good in jeans... :laughing7: 

I ordered this one almost three months ago, so I hope it will ship any time now.  And it is a TOM/STP, not a Floyd.  :dontknow:  All the hardware for this build came from my parts bin. 

I have two VIPs, both with made from black korina and with camphor burl tops.  One is chambered, and one is not.  The one that not chambered is fairly heavy.  I wanted a completely different VIP, so I have one coming that is swamp ash and has a flame maple top being done in washed black dye.  The neck is birdseye maple with black mother of pearl dots and black binding.  The whole concept reminded me of a black and white photo, which reminds me of Ansel Adams.  So, that is Ansel.  This is the VIP that is donating hardware.  The body and neck will be for sale.

This next one is somewhat special to me in an odd way.  I have mexican (Iberian and Native American) ancestry on my father's side.  For many generations, my father's ancestors lived in New Mexico.  They were descendants of Hernan Martin-Serrano, a Spanish conquistador who was second in command to Onate, who led part of the colonization of Mexico by the Spaniards.  They landed in Zacatecas from Spain and their descendants migrated North to New Mexico.  The New Mexico flag plate needs to be cleaned up.  Doug engraved the sun symbol of Zia into a brass plate, so the color wouldn't fade.  I am painting in the engraving with red.  Once done, the paint cleans off of the non-engraved parts with a fingernail.  I'm going to clear coat the plate, after that. 

This guitar is a Star body and a modified Arrow headstock.  The hardware will be black.  The body is swamp ash and trans yellow. 

The neck is q-sawn maple with bloody basin jasper dots, to carry the yellow and red New Mexico flag theme.  I didn't care much for the Arrow headstock in it's original form.  But I think I fixed it.  :laughing7:

And, done!

Finally, I have an Iceman baritone that I never play and a metal'd-out WGD that I also never play.  The baritone won't stay in tune and the WGD weighs a freakin' ton. 

So, I got a sweet standard-scale birdseye maple neck for the Iceman and had a swamp ash WGD body made with a camphor burl top to replace the one-piece black korina one.

But then magic happened.  The new WGD body and new neck for the Iceman were sitting next to each other on the coffee table.  Those two are perfect for each other! 

So, now I have to take the new neck into my local guitar guy and have him put a Floyd locking nut on it.  I guess I'll used the neck off of the current WGD for the Iceman and sell off the baritone neck and the black korina WGD body.

In coming up with a neck plate, I remembered Garcia's guitars are Rosebud and Tiger.  I don't know which is which, but my WGD is more built to play metal, with a Floyd and it will have some sort of high-output pickups in it.  So, it is Metal Tiger, which is a fairly cool thing in the Chinese Zodiac.  http://www.futurescopes.com/chinese-astrology-zodiac-signs/tiger/8454/metal-tiger-chinese-astrology

Anyway, I gave this info to DangerousR6, who came up with yet another killer neck plate.  It is "Metal Tiger" in Chinese with tiger stripes in the background.  Sorry the photo is upside down.  :icon_biggrin:

Oh, and look at the birdseye in that neck!

I need more hours in the day and more energy to make use of those hours.  :glasses9:

:headbang1:

What a buncha work you need to do! But, that's for you. For me, I want that VIP body. I loves me a nice VIP design. But, you're probably gonna want more than $35 for it, right? Don't worry. I'll just tell the landlord to go scratch.

Cagey said:
What a buncha work you need to do! But, that's for you. For me, I want that VIP body. I loves me a nice VIP design. But, you're probably gonna want more than $35 for it, right? Don't worry. I'll just tell the landlord to go scratch.

Yeah, it is a lot of work.  Hoping to dig into it more, tomorrow.  Perhaps I will finish one of them.  :glasses9:  I spent most of the day on the Arrow headstock, but I'm fairly pleased with how it came out considering I've never cut on a finished guitar component, before. 

Darn it!  I knew $37 was going to be asking too much for the VIP body...    :icon_jokercolor:

Actually, there is an interesting story around that VIP body, and its discordant twin.  I got those in early 2009.  That was when W introduced their "dual-lam" technique for carved top bodies.  Around that time, camphor burl was a new offering in lam tops.  I had been wanting to build a VIP, and when I saw the camphor burl tops, I called.  Camphor burl was not listed in the offerings for the VIP.  I asked if they could make a carved top with camphor burl using the dual lam method.  They said, "we've never done it, but I don't see why not."  So I ordered the one pictured above.  About a week later, I ordered another one with chambering and a more "leopard"-like pattern in the burl.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with two similar VIPs, but I knew I'd figure it out. 

Anyway, after the tops were put on but before the finish was applied, I got a call from Warmoth.  It seemed the camphor burl didn't like being bent over a maple cap.  The burl on both bodies cracked in the same placed, in the center of the body at the tail side of the trem route; a single crack on each body.  They repaired and filled the crack on each body.  I give them kudos because they sent me very detailed photos and offered for me to cancel the order with no obligation, or to continue production and receive the bodies at a deep discount.  I opted for the latter.  They said that they were never going to make a camphor burl carved top body again.  If I recall correctly, I paid like 60% of what the original price was.  Unless you know the crack is there, you would never know it.  It looks like a pattern in the wood.

So, unless W has changed methods or figured out how to make this work, I have the only two camphor burl carved top VIPs in the world!  :laughing7:  Looking at the custom online builder, I don't see black korina as an body wood option for the VIP, either, yet it is an option for other similar body types (ie., Regal, Royale).

I think they both are cool bodies, and I am happy to have them.  But, like I said, I have too many guitars.  If you truly are interested, send me a PM.  We can probably figure something out.    :icon_thumright:

Some cool projects Brent, I especially like the maple neck swap out on the Iceman, looks awesome with the mahogany. I know all the others are spectacular, But I think the Iceman will be my favorite one once the necks are swapped.. :guitarplayer2:

DangerousR6 said:
Some cool projects Brent, I especially like the maple neck swap out on the Iceman, looks awesome with the mahogany. I know all the others are spectacular, But I think the Iceman will be my favorite one once the necks are swapped.. :guitarplayer2:

Interesting.  You don't think the birdseye neck looks better with the new WGD body?  I think those two look like soul mates. 

DocNrock said:
DangerousR6 said:

Interesting.  You don't think the birdseye neck looks better with the new WGD body?  I think those two look like soul mates.
Yes it does look good on the WGD, but I think it looks better on the IM. :icon_biggrin:

Hahah Dam Doc that is some serious irons in the fire. Keep it up! Every time I think I am building to many I think of you and tell myself I've barley put a scratch in this addiction of mine  :laughing7: Enjoying the pics!

@ BigSteve22:  Thanks, man! 

@ Surf n Music:  Glad you liked the pics.  I need a week off work just to get all of these built.  I didn't finish any of them last weekend, but GBOF is almost done.  I just need to do the wiring and a bit more drilling (ie., strap buttons, string tree).  It is way too easy to get carried away with this hobby. 

@ Fdesalvo:  Not just one WGD, but two!  I just love the look of the body on the one with the skull/x-bones neck inlay, but the think weighs a freakin' ton!  I got the swamp ash/camphor burl body to replace it, but I just don't think it looks as good with that neck as the black korina body.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do here.  I might just keep the black korina/wenge WGD as is, and try changing pickups or something to make it more appealing to play. 

Thanks for the comments, guys!  :icon_thumright:

fdesalvo said:
No one else reply!  Make him finish one!

LOL!  What I need are for a chunk of time and motivation to align.  Kind of like the planets. 

@DbU:  Thanks, man.  Good to see you around, again!

Holy crap!  I thought I was bad at 5 (or is it 6?) telecasters.  But this is a whole other level!

Good on ya  :headbang:

Mayfly said:
Holy crap!  I thought I was bad at 5 (or is it 6?) telecasters.  But this is a whole other level!

Good on ya  :headbang:

LOL, Mayfly!  I have 16 completed Warmoths. 

My new Velocity body/W neck and VIP body/W neck both shipped and one should be here tomorrow and the other on Thursday!  :icon_thumright:

I think I decided on a neck for the Iceman.  It is the neck off of this guitar: 

The neck is unfinished canary, with a macassar ebony fretboard, and 6100 SS frets.  It also just happens to be the only Wizard profile neck I have in my collection -- fitting for an Ibanez copy body.  :laughing7:

Also, I'm going to cut the Strat headstock into something more Ibanez-like.  The tape marks out the approximate planned final shape.

Thoughts?

72911e20c56877eaae18528faccae1644c898d79.jpg

Back