Most Washed Up Hair Metal Band

Vol. Knob

I was a teen in the '80s.  There were three types of Metalheads.  You had your Motley Crue/Ratt fans.  You had your Iron Maiden/Judas Priest fans.  And you had a select few guys like myself, Black Sabbath/Motorhead fans.  It was around the time a young band named Metallica was showing promise.

Hair metal felt washed up around three years before it appeared.

Oh I don't know, Metallica was pretty big by 85. The 80s metal thing was Slayer, Venom, Metallica, Anthrax, etc..

Mid '80s, 83 to 87 ish.

And Venom kicks ass.  Slayer's Reign in Blood is awesome.  Anthrax is terrible.  Metallica's last good album was Master of Puppets, well.. until recently, Death Magnetic came 20 years late.

----my opionion---

I liked them all, but I'd have to say Iron Maiden was probably my fav. But they were all bad ass, accept Anthrax, never cared for them. Dio was another big fav and Y&T, Armored Saint among all the usual suspects.. Van Halen, Metallica, Scorpions, JP, Ratt...etc. etc...

And I'm not really diggn' Deth Magnetic, Metallica has done way better...IMO

As far as washed up goes I'd have to say Ratt, Robin is dead and Stephen's an ass, and the others from the band probably just don't GAF... :dontknow:

Poison contributed the least musically.  Those other bands at least had musicianship.  Van Halen, for all their drama,  Bon Jovi, and the Crue are still in a position of power.  They still play big arenas...and sell them out.  It seems the Poison's and Ratt's have to have a bit of 80s camp and compile like bands and tour together because there is no market for them anymore.

Vol. Knob said:
Mid '80s, 83 to 87 ish.

And Venom kicks ass.  Slayer's Reign in Blood is awesome.  Anthrax is terrible.  Metallica's last good album was Master of Puppets, well.. until recently, Death Magnetic came 20 years late.

----my opionion---

I would put St. Anger as #2 behind Master of Puppets. Anthrax Spreading the Disease was an all time classic metal album IMO.

Ok, as far as I'm concerned, Metallica only made three albums, Kill Them All, Ride The Lightning, and Master Of Puppets.  They are dead to me after that.   Dead.  And yes, I was into them almost from the begining.  I couldn't wait for In Justice For All to come out, and then I heard it and was like WTF?  Who mastered this thing.  Is Lars banging on notebooks?  Where the bass?  All in all Justice had some good songs, but, damn, remaster the thing already!  And everything since then....well, like I said, they are dead and some record company big-wig paid some look alikes to stand in their stead ever since.  As far as the original poll, I hated Poison, Ratt, and BonJovi since day one.  The Crue, well, I liked their first two albums, and saw them on the Kicking Ass On The Wild Side Of Your Town Tour, where they sucked mightily.  I'll always have a soft spot for VH, it was the first record I ever bought, but 1984 smelled like the ship was going down, albeit with some kick-ass tunes, and Van Hagar made me want to throw up.  I'll vote for, oh I don't know, Poison....learn how to tune your damn guitar CC. 

Roth era Van Halen kicks ass.  Especially "Fair Warning".  However, once the Red Rocker joined the band... ouch.

Motley Crue was just a few layers of greaspaint from becoming KISS, all show and no go.  However, Mick Mars deserves some props.  And a certain non-musical aspect of Tommy Lee makes us all look like children in comparison.

Iron Maiden still kicks ass.  Judas Preist still Kicks ass.  Black Sabbath still kicks ass.  Motorhead still kicks ass.

guitlouie said:
Ok, as far as I'm concerned, Metallica only made three albums, Kill Them All, Ride The Lightning, and Master Of Puppets.  They are dead to me after that.   Dead.  And yes, I was into them almost from the begining.  I couldn't wait for In Justice For All to come out, and then I heard it and was like WTF?  Who mastered this thing.  Is Lars banging on notebooks?  Where the bass?  All in all Justice had some good songs, but, damn, remaster the thing already!  And everything since then....well, like I said, they are dead and some record company big-wig paid some look alikes to stand in their stead ever since.  As far as the original poll, I hated Poison, Ratt, and BonJovi since day one.  The Crue, well, I liked their first two albums, and saw them on the Kicking Ass On The Wild Side Of Your Town Tour, where they sucked mightily.  I'll always have a soft spot for VH, it was the first record I ever bought, but 1984 smelled like the ship was going down, albeit with some kick-ass tunes, and Van Hagar made me want to throw up.  I'll vote for, oh I don't know, Poison....learn how to tune your damn guitar CC. 

I remember when Ride the Lightning came out, many were calling them sell-outs for doing songs like Escape and Fade to Black. The $5.98 EP was very promising after Cliff went away. I agree, most of my friends and I were disappointed with And Justice for All. Then totally wrote them off after that, until St. Anger.

guitlouie said:

:hello2: :headbang:

I agree with everything you say, except Garage Days ReRevisited was damn good, all covers, but good anyway.  However, I gotta say, Death Magnetic sounds like Rick Rubin sat Metallica down and berated them, slapped them, and reminded them that they were METALLICA!!!!!!!!  Somewhere in a quiet room, Bob Rock is holding a copy of Death Magnetic and crying is eyes out.

guitlouie said:

Come on man, don't be baggin' on Sammy like that. He's a hellava lot better singer than Roth ever thought about being, and they had some kick ass songs.. :icon_scratch:

Most of my friends are into the hardcore, death screamy growly metal (which should not be called metal, but just it's own genre called Brute), and some of the time I like that but me and another friend and I listen to what is now called BOGAN (Thats like a really violent redneck to you Americans) music, which is 80's hair metal, grunge, hard rock and death metal.

I must say that poison were pretty cool, but Stuff like Metallica, Iron Maiden and Anthrax also comes up on my list !

It's not even so much a Hagar Vs, Roth thing.  Roth was annoying as shite.  But listen to Eddie playing Eruption, and listen to Eddie playing the elevator music that is Dreams.  Where has the FIRE gone Ed?  I dunno, but it IS GONE.  Atomic Punk Vs Summer Nights.  Mean Streets Vs. Top Of the World.  And On and On.  It is clearly not the same young inventive band.

Most Washed Up Hair Metal Band?

Maybe the one I'm in.

We've all cut our hair and a few have big bald spots. We sound great up to midnight and then sort of wear out...

I voted for Poison.  But Van Halen still gets the "most ridiculous fashion sense" award.  Right up there with Def Leppard on that one. 

Hey, Def Leppard is pretty washed up too... wait, were they ever not?

I voted poison because of the TV shows. Second place would go to Ratt.

Also, this poll has Round and Round stuck in my head, and I am really really disgusted by that.

nathana said:
I voted poison because of the TV shows. Second place would go to Ratt.

Also, this poll has Round and Round stuck in my head, and I am really really disgusted by that.

Until last year there was a bluegrassy-drunken-country-all-acoustic band called The Meat Purveyors, fronted by two chicks.  They're originals are really well written and funny, and their covers are hilarious.  There's an ABBA song they do that escapes me at the moment, and "Why Truckers Speed", but they positively own "Round and Round".  They took Ratt's "Round and Round" and turn it into a killer bluegrass throwdown.  I highly recomend The Meat Purveyors.

guitlouie said:
It's not even so much a Hagar Vs, Roth thing.  Roth was annoying as shitee.  But listen to Eddie playing Eruption, and listen to Eddie playing the elevator music that is Dreams.  Where has the FIRE gone Ed?  I dunno, but it IS GONE.  Atomic Punk Vs Summer Nights.  Mean Streets Vs. Top Of the World.  And On and On.  It is clearly not the same young inventive band.

You speak the truth.  I saw Van Hagar on the 5150 and OU812 tours.....  Eddie could play the old stuff just fine, but the new material didnt stand up to the old stuff. 

hannaugh said:
I voted for Poison.  But Van Halen still gets the "most ridiculous fashion sense" award.  Right up there with Def Leppard on that one. 

Hey, Def Leppard is pretty washed up too... wait, were they ever not?

How could I forget Def Leppard....  Oh man..  Granted, when I was in Jr. High (1983/1984), Pyromania and High and Dry were two of my favorites cassettes.  I was all about Def Leppard until I got introduced to Motorhead's "Ace of Spades", and it was all over. 

Back then I wore out my vinyl copy of the Scorpions "Love at First Sting".  The Scorpions...  There's another one... They make my skin crawl nowadays.

Vol. Knob said:
I was a teen in the '80s.  There were three types of Metalheads.  You had your Motley Crue/Ratt fans.  You had your Iron Maiden/Judas Priest fans.  And you had a select few guys like myself, Black Sabbath/Motorhead fans.  It was around the time a young band named Metallica was showing promise.

Hair metal felt washed up around three years before it appeared.

I liked all of those bands. To me metal was metal. If it sounded good and, also if chicks were digging it then I gave it a chance. I kind of miss going to shows and there being thousands of girls all dressed like prostitutes.

Anyway the correct answer on this thread must be Ratt. The other bands were more successful overall and have been doing more lately, as far as my radar is concerned.

I'd like to comment on the types of fans thing. I also noticed that there was a split with Priest and Maiden fans. Generally most metalheads I knew prefered one or the other. I could listen to both but much preferred Maiden. I also don't really group Black Sabbath and Motorhead together. Black Sabbath was more for the stoners and Motorhead was a band punks were into. It's a different kind of vibe.

Also, a lot of people like to blame (or thank) Nirvana for killing the hair bands - but I personally give a lot of credit to the thrash metal bands (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax etc) for really helping to make that shit uncool.

btw - saw a recent Motley Crue concert on VH1 Classic recently and it was surprisingly good. I thought it would kind of suck (especially with Mick Mars barely able to bend or move) but they rocked.

Back