Most Les Paul-like finish

LKOdessa

About to start a new build based around the Velocity body. The ideal is to make it a Les Paul replacement (hate Gibson necks). What finish would you suggest for a Gibson vibe with a flame top?

LKOdessa said:
About to start a new build based around the Velocity body. The ideal is to make it a Les Paul replacement (hate Gibson necks). What finish would you suggest for a Gibson vibe with a flame top?

I think Gibson does transparent or solid Nitro finishes, but I'd go with a poly finish for the durability, unless missing paint is your thing. As far as a neck feel, they obviously do gloss finishes. I'd encourage you to go with a wood that's safe to use raw, as it feels infinitely better, at least in my opinion. That being said, for pure feel if you must have a finish (Mahogany etc) I like the satin. Gloss gets gummed up to me, feels stick.

Regardless, Warmoth finishes are top-notch. A gloss poly will get you that look, as would a gloss "nitro" from Warmoth.

LKOdessa said:
Thanks! I mostly meant which burst or dye would you go with.

Oh! Sorry I misread. My favorite Les Paul I ever owned was a blue-burst one. I've never gotten a fancy lam-top guitar from Warmoth with a dye or burst, but I quite like the look of their blue dyes.

I would consider either the Aqua Marine Dye, as pictured below:
slcp95A.jpg

A classic Gibson finish would be the Cherry Burst. That's always a good one. There are a few in the Showcase (Under Regal body) that show off how it will look. The Caribbean Burst is also nice, if you like the natural color of the wood to come through. I'm partial to dyes for fancy tops, hence the picture of the Aqua Marine Dye. One other option I can think of off the top of my head is either a red dye finish or a transparent red. Also a classic look for Gibson Les Pauls.

Best of luck my friend! I hope to see your guitar as it comes together.  :eek:ccasion14:

riverbluff said:
LKOdessa said:
Thanks! I mostly meant which burst or dye would you go with.

I'd say go with an Iced Tea or Honey Burst.  The Cherry Burst is also a good one

I agree with riverbluff - my favorite LP finish is Jimmy Page's #1 (Honey Burst) - but the Iced Tea is the same ballpark.

The honeyburst finish is the first one I thought of. It looks great in their simulator. But, if you look at pictures of finished guitars, it seems much redder around the edges. Almost like a cherryburst. Im not sure why, but I never really liked cherryburst.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Honeyburst is the only Warmoth finish I've seen in person which is close to the most common Gibson bursts. Everything else Warmoth does (that I've seen for myself) tends to be overly intense, which is more the Fender style.

Bear in mind that that mock-ups in the builder and finish pages on the website are really vague and not particularly representative of the actual finish, and event he examples you can find in the showcase are a fair bit off. (I think whoever is doing Warmoth's photos is using an calibrated monitor, 'cause the real things are always much more intense/red/orange than the showcase photos.)

Back