More bridge and HW options

tfarny

Master Member
Greatly increased hardware options, especially bridge mounting. It can't be that hard for W to increase its support and stock of other hardware.

1. BIGSBY!! Routing, and HW sales. I don't know how the recessed TOM design gets supported before bigsby.
2. More routing options for hardtails and trems, for example Hipshot products
3. PLEASE another wraparound / stoptail combo choice(s) besides that hideous Gotoh 510. I mean, who's gonna put that thing on an LP jr or SG lookalike?
4. Factory installation of Earvana, brass, and bone nuts
5. Neck mounting options for using Ferrules instead of neck plates, to minimize the dreaded 'bolt-on LP' stigma.

Most of these have been mentioned before, but in general, more custom options, make it easier to make our guitars more unique.

+1 to all of those.  They're really good suggestions.  Even though I'm not big into the ferrules, it would still be a nice option.  That's what we like right?  Options. :icon_thumright:

I really like the way W uses screw inserts for the control cavity on their Geko basses. This would be a great "upcharge" option for those of use who dig around in there all the time.

Brian

tfarny said:
3. PLEASE another wraparound / stoptail combo choice(s) besides that hideous Gotoh 510. I mean, who's gonna put that thing on an LP jr or SG lookalike?
5. Neck mounting options for using Ferrules instead of neck plates, to minimize the dreaded 'bolt-on LP' stigma.

I want those also.

3 gets my vote!

tfarny said:
Greatly increased hardware options, especially bridge mounting. It can't be that hard for W to increase its support and stock of other hardware.

1. BIGSBY!! Routing, and HW sales. I don't know how the recessed TOM design gets supported before bigsby.

Most of these have been mentioned before, but in general, more custom options, make it easier to make our guitars more unique.

1:bigbsby's dont need routing.
2:hipshots can be mounted without strange modifications or problems with the wilksinson-routing.
3: I agree with this one
4: brass and bone: agreed. earvana: no. this is SO easy, even my nana could do it. well... she did.
5: disagree. if a screw breaks, warmoth is in trouble (due to their warranty and so on). they'd have to replace the neck if a screw breaks and you can't get it out.

sorry if my post seems a bit 'harsh' or unfriendly, but my mood isnt too good at the moment, and I wanted my post to be very clear (not a whole story and whining on about stuff).

Orpheo said:
2:hipshots can be mounted without strange modifications or problems with the wilksinson-routing.
4: brass and bone: agreed. earvana: no. this is SO easy, even my nana could do it. well... she did.
5: disagree. if a screw breaks, warmoth is in trouble (due to their warranty and so on). they'd have to replace the neck if a screw breaks and you can't get it out.

sorry if my post seems a bit 'harsh' or unfriendly, but my mood isnt too good at the moment, and I wanted my post to be very clear (not a whole story and whining on about stuff).

1. Depends on the Bigsby...
4. Great, it's so easy Warmoth should be able to do it.
5. How is this different than with a neck plate?

dbw said:
Orpheo said:

1. Depends on the Bigsby...
4. Great, it's so easy Warmoth should be able to do it.
5. How is this different than with a neck plate?

1:I have yet to see a bigsby which needs routing :p
4: I think they believe its so eay, you can do it yourself without wrecking your guitar.
5: with the ferules you use, they might tear of break. the risk is just higher with ferules vs. a neckplate.

(tfarny 5. Neck mounting options for using Ferrules instead of neck plates, to minimize the dreaded 'bolt-on LP' stigma. )  :hello2:
This would be nice, but Warmoth would have to drill holes closer together, so neck would have to be ordered with closer holes or without holes and drill your own.

(Orpheo 5: disagree. if a screw breaks, Warmoth is in trouble (due to their warranty and so on). They'd have to replace the neck if a screw breaks and you can't get it out.)  :dontknow:
I've worked on loads of Ibanez guitars (and others) with ferrules and i've never seen a broken one...can't see that breakage would be a problem for warmoth.

Orpheo said:

http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/images/GL%20Asat%20Bigsby.jpg

Dude, you got to rout for the bridge... I don't think a regular TOM rout will do it.

tfarny said:

I agree with all of the above!!!

1. The bridge part of the bigsby needs routing at least, and locator holes for the bigsby assembly would make it that much easier of a project.
2. If the current routs accept lots of other products, and I know they do, W should either 1) just say what other products fit, or 2) sell the HW which already fits into the current routs. The current system of comparing schematics, trolling message boards, and crossing fingers doesn't have to be this way. When you've got a whole room full of guitar bodies, stocking a few more drawers full of products can't be that big a deal.
3. Everyone agrees! Thank you!
4. Earvanas can easily be ruined just like any other nut you do by yourself. I don't think the string slots are deep enough, for one thing. Sure, it's easier than other types but you don't just pop it in.
5. There's no issue here - W warranty covers defective workmanship, not end-user error. If you break off a string tree screw, do you return the neck? Same idea. That's like saying after a car accident, your new car warranty pays for repairs - warranties don't work that way. Somebody recently posted pics of an LP with those ferrules, and if I ever build an LP-style, I'll definitely want to do that.

The Gotoh 510 that I purchased now resides in my junk drawer. Over-engineered and underthought.

dbw said:
Orpheo said:

http://www.bassexchange.com/catalog/images/GL%20Asat%20Bigsby.jpg

Dude, you got to rout for the bridge... I don't think a regular TOM rout will do it.

my appologies. I forgot about the telecaster bigsbys. I was only thinking about the bigsbys for les pauls. :p

RLW said:
The Gotoh 510 that I purchased now resides in my junk drawer. Over-engineered and underthought.

Want to sell it?
I'm one of the (very) few that like it.

O the subject of the Hipshot products, when I was building my hardtail strat, I very much wanted to use one of their bridges, but all of the info I found was that it would take modification to get it to work right.  I am fairly certain that somewhere on this board I also read a response from Gregg or one of the Warmoth guys saying that they had tried to work something out with the Hipshot guys, but that they had gotten hardware that did not match up to the specs that they were given.  As always, correct me if that is wrong, I am going stricly on memory here...

Actually, I really dig the 510 as well. I have it on my SG and it works great. I think it adds to the good tone and sustain of the build too. I used that guitar as my number one for a year of gigging so I definately put it through its paces and it held up and performed great. I've never heard of anyone that didn't dig the 510 and I've sold a container load of them.

WSG2.jpg

WSG3.jpg

Love your axe, Gregg, except for that bridge. And I'm sure it works great, but I (and apparently others!) want a more traditional looking wraparound.
Please take note of the Bigsby demand while you're here!! Thanks!

My reason for hating the 510 is that I bought a LPS routed for it, I strung it up, the strings wrapped around the bottom of the bridge were digging into the top (and damaged it), and the strings were still half an inch off the fretboard. And, it wasn't just me. My guitar tech Oah said that the 510 would not work without at least a 1/4 shim. And a 1/4 inch shim is simply ridiculous.

guitlouie said:
O the subject of the Hipshot products, when I was building my hardtail strat, I very much wanted to use one of their bridges, but all of the info I found was that it would take modification to get it to work right.  I am fairly certain that somewhere on this board I also read a response from Gregg or one of the Warmoth guys saying that they had tried to work something out with the Hipshot guys, but that they had gotten hardware that did not match up to the specs that they were given.  As always, correct me if that is wrong, I am going stricly on memory here...
Yes, we obtained the Hipshot flatmount Strat bridge they offer and measured it against our bridges and routs. Decades of drilling for the Strat bridge makes us confident that what we drill is historically accurate. The string spacing for the hipshot bridge's string through holes was narrower than anything we drill for by a significant amount. We detailed our findings in an email to them. We never heard back.

A few of our customers have done their own hole modifications to our narrow flatmount Strat bridge rout to get the Hipshot bridge to work for them. It takes angling in the two E string holes.

Back