More bridge and HW options

RLW said:
My reason for hating the 510 is that I bought a LPS routed for it, I strung it up, the strings wrapped around the bottom of the bridge were digging into the top (and damaged it), and the strings were still half an inch off the fretboard. And, it wasn't just me. My guitar tech Oah said that the 510 would not work without at least a 1/4 shim. And a 1/4 inch shim is simply ridiculous.

I pop the bridge off, load all six strings and pop it back on.  I can see how the angle of string loading could cause damage if you weren't looking and noticing the angle. I agree they should change that angle but its not a show stopper for me.

The 510 requires an angle in the neck pocket the same degree as the Tune-o-matic but nothing more. A quarter inch shim sounds a bit nutso. That is the first time I've heard that so there's got to be more to the story. We've been drilling for it on bodies for about 10 years without shim conversations with people so I don't have info to share or problems first hand to convey.

Gregg, isn't it bad for the neck to have all six strings slack at once?  At least that's what I was taught.    :icon_scratch:

Even if it's no biggie for a bolt-on electric (matters more on a steel-string acoustic?) that sounds like a bad design, no?

dbw said:
Gregg, isn't it bad for the neck to have all six strings slack at once?  At least that's what I was taught.    :icon_scratch:
Leaving them off for an extended period of time isn't good on a neck, but when you do a heftly amount of string changing, all off then all back on in short order won't cause any harm in my opinion. Ever hold a note during a solo and grab the end of your neck and bend it forward for an impromptu vibrato?   :laughing7: ...Showtime....  :laughing7:   I've never been "easy going" on my guitars though.

tfarny said:
Even if it's no biggie for a bolt-on electric (matters more on a steel-string acoustic?) that sounds like a bad design, no?
That angle for loading strings could be better, but what bridge is perfect? Gibson's Tune-o-matic bridge and stop tail piece falling off the body at every string change is bigger pain to me.

Well, I'll still vote for more options, and I don't like the 510 personally. When you consider all the amazing stuff you guys do with bodies, necks and painting, it is just a little surprising you only offer such a tiny fraction of what's out there for hardware. How about the TonePros locking wraparound, for a start, since you already stock one of their products?
I'm not saying 'don't stock the 510' I'm saying 'stock / drill for MORE stuff!'
And how about a Bigsby option?
BTW, it's not like I'm complaining per se: this is the suggestion box section, you know.

yea nothing wrong with more options. you can debate what is a good design and what is flawed all day but i think another wraparound would be good.

Gregg said:
RLW said:
My reason for hating the 510 is that I bought a LPS routed for it, I strung it up, the strings wrapped around the bottom of the bridge were digging into the top (and damaged it), and the strings were still half an inch off the fretboard. And, it wasn't just me. My guitar tech Oah said that the 510 would not work without at least a 1/4 shim. And a 1/4 inch shim is simply ridiculous.

I pop the bridge off, load all six strings and pop it back on.  I can see how the angle of string loading could cause damage if you weren't looking and noticing the angle. I agree they should change that angle but its not a show stopper for me.

The 510 requires an angle in the neck pocket the same degree as the Tune-o-matic but nothing more. A quarter inch shim sounds a bit nutso. That is the first time I've heard that so there's got to be more to the story. We've been drilling for it on bodies for about 10 years without shim conversations with people so I don't have info to share or problems first hand to convey.

use an angled shim. wont be very thick at all! or you can sell it. sounds like it's not your cup of tea anyway.

tfarny said:
Well, I'll still vote for more options, and I don't like the 510 personally...

How about the TonePros locking wraparound, for a start, since you already stock one of their products?
I'm not saying 'don't stock the 510' I'm saying 'stock / drill for MORE stuff!...

BTW, it's not like I'm complaining per se: this is the suggestion box section, you know.

Totally agree. The TonePros locking wraparound would be a great option. More Gotoh stuff also, decent company with good affordable products. 1088, 1055 and 1099 tremolos would be nice as alternatives and they use the same mount. Wilkinson VG300 also uses the same mount as the VS100 Warmoth sells.

Gregg said:
Ever hold a note during a solo and grab the end of your neck and bend it forward for an impromptu vibrato?  :laughing7: ...Showtime....  :laughing7:  I've never been "easy going" on my guitars though.

Yep, I started a thread about this earlier and everyone told me not to do it :(

tfarny said:

That would make sense, I learned to change strings on an acoustic.

dbw said:
Gregg said:
Ever hold a note during a solo and grab the end of your neck and bend it forward for an impromptu vibrato?   :laughing7: ...Showtime....  :laughing7:   I've never been "easy going" on my guitars though.
Yep, I started a thread about this earlier and everyone told me not to do it :(

I shouldn't do it either.  :evil4:

Well, I'll still vote for more options

Yes, this is one of our pushes. We had been hampered by stretched resources just churning out orders so new offerings were slow in coming. Through better efficiency and new hires, we think we can begin to see new milestones within the next 12-24 months.

Back