Mooncaster SSB

No new updates on the wiring, but I do have one thing new.  The neckplate arrived!

mDfpSmU.jpg

That is way cool!

That must have really come up from scratch, eh? It would have had to have been machined a bit, then anodized, then machined some more.

Yes, it's an aluminum blank, then he did the cutouts, and anodizing after the cutouts, and finally the design pattern was etched.  It's some piece of work.

Outstanding! It's a fine piece. Doug did you right with that one. :icon_thumright:

I'm sorry, I wish I could say that was Doug's work.  I love Doug's work, but unfortunately it's not from him.  (Please don't hate me.)

A couple updates.  First off, no more clown pubes.  I noticed something from looking at the pic that I didn't notice when I was working on the bass.  I need to clean up the control cover screw holes, it's pulling the finish up...

KJiGLRp.jpg

Worked on the neck a bit.  I just love pau ferro.

BQWVbXJ.jpg

Easiest tuning machine installation I've ever done.  Pre-drilled holes?  Don't mind if I do.

RXpuRka.jpg

Mounted the neck.  Here's the back shot.  Normally I would do inserts with stainless screws, but I want the screws to be black on this one.

XReKSA5.jpg

Well, here's the latest.  I got these this week, but had very little time to install.

yoF5pLd.jpg

Last night I got a time window to do just a bit of work.  Here's what happened next.

The bass had not yet been strung up.  I seem to be having a bit of difficulty finding correct strings.  I settled on a set of Thomastik flatwounds, intended for a short scale bass.  However the length from ball to wrap was a little long.  I thought nothing ventured nothing gained, so I tried them anyway.  I heard a distinct snap when I was installing the E string.  I think I broke a core.  Well, now.  What to do.

Also, when strung, the strings sit directly on top of the fretboard.  I think a shim may be needed, but I also know the Thomastiks are low tension and may not have the juice to pull the neck into proper alignment.  I'm trying to locate a set of La Bella flatwound medium scale thru-body strings.  From what I read, they may just fit correctly.  Failing that, there's a La Bella set intended for mustang basses that may work too.

On to the next.  On the first hole that I drilled for the pickup rings I broke a drill bit in the body.  Oh, damn damn damn.  Okay, 10 minutes of wrangling and I had it out.  In trying to remove the broken bit I made a dumb mistake and put a dent/scratch in one of the pickup rings.  Idiot.  The next size up bit was only a 64th size difference.  I wanted a little snugger fit, but that will work.  That bit was a bit more sturdy, and things progressed well.  Installation complete.

With the strings (sort of) installed, and the pickups installed, let's plug this thing in.  Hm... Where's the sound?  Oh, there it is.  I had to turn the volumes up to 10 to get it to squeak.  Very low volume.  Hm... What could be the problem with that?  And with that, my time window was gone.  I'll have to save that for my next session.  Disappointing and frustrating.

In all my frustration I forgot to take pics of the front of the bass.  Here I was hoping to be able to present a finished bass today.  Not going to happen.

Ah, well. Feces occurrs. Some days are diamonds...

I'm not up to speed on bass string technology, so I'm a little confused on the "breaking a core" thing. Are there multiple cores? I know with guitar strings, if the core were to break the wrap just unwinds and the whole string is shot. You'd never be able to tune it.

As for breaking the drill bit - it happens. Used to happen to me a lot more often. They're pretty brittle, so it doesn't take much. But, what reduced its occurrence for me was going to a smaller drill motor. There are some remarkably powerful small portables available now from the usual suspects that aren't too much bigger than a smallish .45 revolver. Much easier to control with tiny bits like you need for tuner/mounting ring/pickguard pilot holes, while still being capable of running a 7/8" Forstner into hardwood. They use neodymium magnets in the motors so they can develop tons of torque without being physically large. Couple that with some lithium batteries that will suicide themselves delivering current if you let them, and you have a pretty handy little tool capable of a lot more than it looks like.

Well, I'm not entirely sure, because I haven't been able to actually "play" it to see what it sounds like.  I know something went "snap" as I installed the string.  Bass strings are a bit different, yes.  And it might be that I broke something, but had it crimped enough that things aren't slipping and falling apart.  The Thomastik strings are supposed to be very flexible.

Bass_String_Cross_Section.jpg

I'll have to wait and see.  In the meantime, I'm still on the search for another set of strings for this thing.  Might have go with roundwound, if I can find those, even.  Funny, I didn't think finding strings would be my biggest procurement issue.

Might have just been the ball end settling into the ferrule. I get that with guitar strings sometimes. That, and with bridges that have sharp-ish saddles, like TOMs, sometimes you get a snap when a wrap on one of the wound strings moves over the saddle.

Cagey said:
Might have just been the ball end settling into the ferrule.
That's what I was thinking. I'm also thinking that if the core snapped, bass string or not, you'd have zero chance of getting any tension on it at all. The winding would just stretch like a spring.

ghotiphry said:
The bass had not yet been strung up.  I seem to be having a bit of difficulty finding correct strings.  I settled on a set of Thomastik flatwounds, intended for a short scale bass.  However the length from ball to wrap was a little long.  I thought nothing ventured nothing gained, so I tried them anyway.  I heard a distinct snap when I was installing the E string.  I think I broke a core.  Well, now.  What to do.

Also, when strung, the strings sit directly on top of the fretboard.  I think a shim may be needed, but I also know the Thomastiks are low tension and may not have the juice to pull the neck into proper alignment.  I'm trying to locate a set of La Bella flatwound medium scale thru-body strings.  From what I read, they may just fit correctly.  Failing that, there's a La Bella set intended for mustang basses that may work too.

Hey I have a Mustang bass with the LaBella flatwounds actually:
http://www.bassstringsonline.com/La-Bella-Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound-for-Fender-Mustang-Bass--4-String-Thru-Body-Set_p_1036.html

So let me know if you'd like me to measure anything on them (distance to the wrap, etc)... They do have a flexible wrapped section by the ball ends since the strings go through the body, plus the bass has a 30" scale and Fender headstock, so they might work well for your bass. They're nice strings, too...

Well, the distance from ball to wrap should be 33.25" on those mustang strings.  For thru-body strings I need something between 32.8" and 34.4".  Those mustang strings should work.  I ordered a set.

I've also got a set of Labella 760FS-M-TB on order, which no telling when I will get them.  They are 34" ball to wrap, in the 45-65-85-105 gauges.  They should also work, and I kinda wanted them for those gauges.  But beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Thanks for offering.  I hope these work.  And thanks for the endorsement on those La Bella strings.  I'm not sure I'm going to like the floppy feel of the Thomstiks.  Expensive experiment I guess.

ghotiphry said:
Well, the distance from ball to wrap should be 33.25" on those mustang strings.  For thru-body strings I need something between 32.8" and 34.4".  Those mustang strings should work.  I ordered a set.

I've also got a set of Labella 760FS-M-TB on order, which no telling when I will get them.  They are 34" ball to wrap, in the 45-65-85-105 gauges.  They should also work, and I kinda wanted them for those gauges.  But beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Thanks for offering.  I hope these work.  And thanks for the endorsement on those La Bella strings.  I'm not sure I'm going to like the floppy feel of the Thomstiks.  Expensive experiment I guess.

I'd say for a 30" scale, which is floppy to begin with, the Mustang strings are the least floppy option. Even better than roundwounds I'd say. That's a big reason why I like them. I've never tried the Thomastik strings though so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

With a couple of still work-in-progress moments, still.

To get the neck in correct angle, I had to shim a bit.  Just a few thicknesses of paper, folded over on itself.  I need a better solution, but it works for now.

And the strings.  I don't like this one little bit.  Also, the E string sounds dead.  I know there's something not right.  The Mustang strings are on the way.

It still needs a good setup, but it's playable.  When I get the new strings I'll be able to speak to sound more, but everything but the E string sounds great!

4PD2afd.jpg

zDvwiOd.jpg

It looks great! The pickups and bridge are soo cool  :glasses9:

I'm interested to hear how the Mustang strings work out on it.

Back