Metallic Black Cherry Floyd Rose Non-Fine Tuner

BroccoliRob said:
That Black Cherry so dope I'm having an allergic reaction to the natural cherry sucrose!

Pour a little ranch on it.

You probably already did, but one cannot be too careful.

Bagman67 said:
BroccoliRob said:
That Black Cherry so dope I'm having an allergic reaction to the natural cherry sucrose!

Pour a little ranch on it.

You probably already did, but one cannot be too careful.
Yo if you haven't tried using ranch as a topical aid in place of that snake oil calamine lotion junk, you're in for a real treat the next tome you get a pox or shingles.

Man that is a thing of beauty. I don’t generally care for “sparkle” or flake type finishes, but the way that finish lays low until it pops at just the right angle and lighting is just awesome. I love it!

Outstanding, Sir! Love the color, very glad that the repair worked out so well. Play it in good health!  :headbang:

Rgand said:
Outstanding! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

-VB- said:
Man that is a thing of beauty. I don’t generally care for “sparkle” or flake type finishes, but the way that finish lays low until it pops at just the right angle and lighting is just awesome. I love it!

Thanks and the subtlety of the colour as you describe it is something I like too.

BigSteve22 said:
Outstanding, Sir! Love the color, very glad that the repair worked out so well. Play it in good health!  :headbang:

Thanks, Steve. I am glad the repair worked too. It has taken a lot longer than I originally planned due to health challenges and various things this year but things are improving and thanks for your good wishes.

I have been playing it a little and the feel of the neck standard thin, 1 11/16" I am finding that I really like a lot. The feel of the NFT Floyd and the tuning stability with the LSR are very good. I still need to plug it in and give the guitar a good workout but so far just acoustically the tone and feel works for me.

I also would really like to thank Aaron and Warmoth for making the NFT recessed rout possible. I have another planned using this rout.

Thanks again all for the positive feedback  :eek:ccasion14:

stratamania said:
I have been playing it a little and the feel of the neck standard thin, 1 11/16" I am finding that I really like a lot.

Those are big qualifiers for me. Kind of a "middle of the road" sort of thing. Seems to make anything else at least playable, while maybe not as comfy as I'd like. If you get used to something like a narrow "Wizard" or a wide "Boatneck", then everything else is going to feel wildly out of spec.

Cagey said:
stratamania said:
I have been playing it a little and the feel of the neck standard thin, 1 11/16" I am finding that I really like a lot.

Those are big qualifiers for me. Kind of a "middle of the road" sort of thing. Seems to make anything else at least playable, while maybe not as comfy as I'd like. If you get used to something like a narrow "Wizard" or a wide "Boatneck", then everything else is going to feel wildly out of spec.

Indeed, I went with this width rather than 1 5/8" because of the LSR but the standard thin with the 1 11/16" for me works well. It is all subjective of course but it helps that a standard thin 1 11/16" seems to always have a good selection in the showcase.

Wow....really excellent job!  Great looking guitar.

How do you like the NFT Floyd with the LSR and locking tuners?

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
This build is pure class!!!

Thanks, really appreciate the feedback  :icon_smile:

rauchman said:
Wow....really excellent job!  Great looking guitar.

How do you like the NFT Floyd with the LSR and locking tuners?

I really like it. I have another project planned that will use the same setup in terms of the bridge and LSR nut.

@stratamania , this guitar is fantastic. I’ve got a couple of questions.

What is your process for finishing/polishing frets? I see you mention micromesh, how many steps do you go through in total?

Did you shoot the finish? (It’s not Warmoth, right?) What paint supplier is it?

I used to have a Fender Deluxe Plus Strat and the Schaller lockers, LSR and NFT Floyd all feel very familiar! What’s the benefit of this setup over a now traditional Floyd with locking nut?

@stratamania , this guitar is fantastic.

Thanks, appreciated.

What is your process for finishing/polishing frets? I see you mention micromesh, how many steps do you go through in total?

It is quite a long process, I go to 12,000 grit micromesh pads. There are nine grades from 1,500 to 12,000 and that is after using wet and dry paper from around 400 to 1200/1500. After the micromesh I also will use a metal polish.

That is after of course any bevelling, levelling and crowning etc.

Did you shoot the finish? (It’s not Warmoth, right?) What paint supplier is it?

No, it is a Warmoth finish, the colour is metallic black cherry. The neck is satin nitro with a gloss metallic black cherry headstock face.

I used to have a Fender Deluxe Plus Strat and the Schaller lockers, LSR and NFT Floyd all feel very familiar! What’s the benefit of this setup over a now traditional Floyd with locking nut?
The satin tuners I had the old Fender Deluxe Plus Strat in mind.

One benefit is the locking nut of a Floyd does not get in the way of your hand in lower positions and it functions more like a standard trem but with the feel of a Floyd. It is also possible to go between E and Eb tuning for example fairly easily (although I tend to keep this in standard). I do have another NFT for another project but a good set up now that is now available is the one I used on the Green Mahogany strat in my signature which is the newer Wilkinson locking bridge. All of that said, if needed I do have locking Floyds also.

Thanks, appreciated.

It is quite a long process, I go to 12,000 grit micromesh pads. There are nine grades from 1,500 to 12,000 and that is after using wet and dry paper from around 400 to 1200/1500. After the micromesh I also will use a metal polish.

That is after of course any bevelling, levelling and crowning etc.

No, it is a Warmoth finish, the colour is metallic black cherry. The neck is satin nitro with a gloss metallic black cherry headstock face.

The satin tuners I had the old Fender Deluxe Plus Strat in mind.

One benefit is the locking nut of a Floyd does not get in the way of your hand in lower positions and it functions more like a standard trem but with the feel of a Floyd. It is also possible to go between E and Eb tuning for example fairly easily (although I tend to keep this in standard). I do have another NFT for another project but a good set up now that is now available is the one I used on the Green Mahogany strat in my signature which is the newer Wilkinson locking bridge. All of that said, if needed I do have locking Floyds also.
How do you multi-quote on this forum? Are you manually adding in the tags between each paragraph?

I didn’t realize that was the Warmoth Black Cherry! I thought I ended up here through your unboxing thread and they were bare. That’s fantastic news because I love the color and am maybe at about the level of Aaron in his Nitro video. (I’ll attempt a nitro rattle can sometime but multistage with 2K clear is far above me)

On the Frets, I am not comfortable with leveling and crowning yet, but I’d like to be able to polish up my frets that are still in good shape on a few of my guitars (and the new Warmoth necks). If there aren’t any obvious high/loe spots and no pitting, at what point would I want to start? 1,500 or so?

I think I understand the tremolo setup, thank you. Something more “Floyd” feeling than a Wilkinson (and locking) but without the mass of the locking nut. My old LSR got all gummed up so it was worse than a graphtech nut, but I can imagine a well maintained one would be fantastic.

Thank you for all the info!

How do you multi-quote on this forum? Are you manually adding in the tags between each paragraph?

On the older forum software, it was a manual process. With the recent change in 2022 to XenForo you highlight the text you want to quote and click on quote which will pop up. Repeat for other text, then in your reply click insert quotes.

I thought I ended up here through your unboxing thread and they were bare.

With the change to the forum software earlier this year, some cross-reference links have been broken. For this build, I see I missed updating the link to the out-of-the-box post. I have updated it now in the first post of this thread and here it is below also.

On the Frets, I am not comfortable with leveling and crowning yet, but I’d like to be able to polish up my frets that are still in good shape on a few of my guitars (and the new Warmoth necks). If there aren’t any obvious high/loe spots and no pitting, at what point would I want to start? 1,500 or so?

Perhaps start at 1000, or 1500 if they are brand-new frets. But the ends will not end up like on this build, as I ordered the frets without any bevel and spent a long time rounding them to more of a semi-hemispherical shape with various files.

Pure class!

Thanks, Tony, appreciated.

Back