Metallic Black Cherry Floyd Rose Non-Fine Tuner

stratamania said:
Rgand said:
This is really beautiful. Classy.

What a great idea to use an eraser to protect things for the installation. I'll remember that trick.

Thanks on both counts. Saves using wood and wrapping it in insulating tape or something.

Erasers are also especially useful for wrapping sanding or wet and dry paper around and using as a small block.
I'll remember that, too. :icon_thumright:

I am totally smitten with that Black Cherry finish. I’ve been doing fantasy mock-ups in the builder ever since you posted the first pics. Looking forward to more!

-VB- said:
I am totally smitten with that Black Cherry finish. I’ve been doing fantasy mock-ups in the builder ever since you posted the first pics. Looking forward to more!

Cool, more to follow  :icon_thumright:

That looks great. I take it you’ve drilled the holes for volume and tone pots yourself. It looks very similar - but not quite - to the two holes used on 7/8-S pickguards.
I really like that color. Perhaps some video when it gets ready, to show it off even better?

Logrinn said:
That looks great. I take it you’ve drilled the holes for volume and tone pots yourself. It looks very similar - but not quite - to the two holes used on 7/8-S pickguards.
I really like that color. Perhaps some video when it gets ready, to show it off even better?

Thanks a lot.

Yes, the holes were drilled by myself and detailed on page 1 of the thread. Yes it does look similar to the 7/8 but I don't know if the distance centre to centre is the same.

Funnily enough, I was thinking today to capture some video at some point to try and show how the light catches it.

Great Ape said:
Very, very sharp lookin'! Classy, hot, & tasty...beautiful work.

Thanks so much... :icon_thumright:

Some further progress.

EMG supplies a battery connector pair of wires with a battery clip on one end and the quick connectors on the other. We only need the connector end to join to the wires from the battery box.

Both needed to be cut to length, connected and tinned. It wasn't worth getting out the soldering station for so I just used my small Weller for this job.

Then the EMG supplied shrink wrap, was shrunk.

BW_1 by stratamania, on Flickr

The connectors were then connected up...

BW_2 by stratamania, on Flickr

After giving the body a clean where the pickguard will cover it was time to make sure the pickguard lined up in all the correct spots. After dry fitting the neck and making sure it was in the correct places some tape was applied to hold the pickguard in place.

BW_3 by stratamania, on Flickr

Then the holes were drilled, screws waxed with Behlen's Slideez and fitted.

BW_4 by stratamania, on Flickr

Another view

BW_5 by stratamania, on Flickr

Next, I will be doing some work on the neck but that is likely to be next weekend...stay tuned.

That is coming along beautifully. It must be amazing in the sunlight because the photos are great!

Rgand said:
That is coming along beautifully. It must be amazing in the sunlight because the photos are great!

Thanks... will see if I can take some in the sunlight.

stratamania said:
Rgand said:

Thanks... will see if I can take some in the sunlight.
Looking forward to that when you get a chance.

Really nicely done.  A few people have used the word classy....perfect word. 

I have a long way to go to get to the level of what you do.  Inspiring work. 

How do you like the NFT Floyd?

rauchman said:
Really nicely done.  A few people have used the word classy....perfect word. 

I have a long way to go to get to the level of what you do.  Inspiring work. 

How do you like the NFT Floyd?

Thanks.

I used a friend's NFT back in the 80s and liked them then. In 85 I got my first Floyd but with fine tuners and a locking nut.

Now they are available again and also we have locking tuners available etc I wanted to get one. The Red Bishop tremolo arm is a good improvement to the stock arm as are the mounting studs that Warmoth are providing from the OFRs.

We will see how it ends up when it is together. I think it should do a good job as I like the feel of the Floyd tremolos but in recent years with locking nuts found I would catch my fingers on them at times.

A little bit of a delay since the last update to this thread. But here is an excerpt from today.

FretWork4 by stratamania, on Flickr

The fretwork is done so there should be more to follow soon tomorrow... :icon_thumright:

Ah, good to see your progress. :icon_thumright:

This body has a side jack. What kind of plate is that? A football plate?

Rgand said:

Funny you should ask that as I used a square plate and thought I may have preferred a football plate after I fitted it. The next day I came across a football plate I actually had forgotten I had.

stratamania said:
Rgand said:

Funny you should ask that as I used a square plate and thought I may have preferred a football plate after I fitted it. The next day I came across a football plate I actually had forgotten I had.
It was hard to tell from the photos. I like both styles. The football plate is trimmer but the rectangular one looks good as long as there's room for it.

Rgand said:
stratamania said:
Rgand said:

It was hard to tell from the photos. I like both styles. The football plate is trimmer but the rectangular one looks good as long as there's room for it.

There was just enough room another one I had was too big though.

stratamania said:
Rgand said:
stratamania said:
Rgand said:

There was just enough room another one I had was too big though.
I'll be aware of that.

I mentioned yesterday that I planned to get on with the assembly today. And here is the progress so far.

Body and neck and parts laid out ready to start after spending a number of hours yesterday on the frets hand polished to 12000 grit micromesh.

Assembly1 by stratamania, on Flickr

A shot of the matching headstock and the tuners with ebony buttons laid out in order.

Assembly2 by stratamania, on Flickr

Back of the headstock after finessing the holes and making sure that any tiny burrs on the back of the tuners that will sit flush to the headstock had been dealt with.

Assembly3 by stratamania, on Flickr

Lining up the tuners.

Assembly4 by stratamania, on Flickr

Ready for drilling the pilot holes after checking alignment again.

Assembly5 by stratamania, on Flickr

Some of the pilot holes drilled. But notice the pilot hole for the D string tuner...more after the photo...

Assembly6 by stratamania, on Flickr

The gods at this point were not with me today...in the first time of over fifty years of drilling holes in wood the drill bit sheared off virtually flush with the back of the headstock...

which means I cannot get anything to grip onto it to take it out...

Which now means I will be placing an order with StewMac for a guitar screw rescue kit.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Too...rs_and_Bits/Bits/Guitar_Screw_Rescue_Kit.html

And a video of the rescue kit in use.

So an unexpected twist to this build...which just goes to show no matter how careful and methodical you are stuff can happen...

Last edited:
That's a good plug set. I know eventually I'll need such an item. Until then, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

Back