Metallic Black Cherry Floyd Rose Non-Fine Tuner

Rgand said:
That's a good plug set. I know eventually I'll need such an item. Until then, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

The really odd thing is I nearly used a new bit which I ended up using to do the other holes. A stitch in time saves nine or something like that but like guitar strings, they bend fine until that fateful bend when they break.

Nil desperandum.

stratamania said:
...like guitar strings, they bend fine until that fateful bend when they break.
I feel for ya Bro, that just plain sucks. I've looked at that Screw Rescue setup, and like Rob, I too have been keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need one. Best of luck with the repair!

Hip shot tuners with the ump plate might be an option.  I also feel your pain.

Rick said:
Hip shot tuners with the ump plate might be an option.  I also feel your pain.

Thanks, Rick, and thanks for your thoughts but this is just an issue to be solved and is minor to other things so no pain involved.

I do have some Hipshots waiting for another project and the UMP plates however they would not hide the existing holes if I was to use them. It would be a workaround but would not fix the issue.

I am just considering some other bits and pieces to order from StewMac at the same time and I will order the kit needed.

BigSteve22 said:
stratamania said:
I feel for ya Bro, that just plain sucks. I've looked at that Screw Rescue setup, and like Rob, I too have been keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need one. Best of luck with the repair!

Thanks...perhaps we should all buy one of those kits on the basis that if you are prepared you might not need it.

My main goal with the repair will be to try and make it as neat as possible.

stratamania said:
BigSteve22 said:
stratamania said:

Thanks...perhaps we should all buy one of those kits on the basis that if you are prepared you might not need it.

I've been thinking of getting one because I can find uses for 3/16" cross grain plugs in other places. Then it's on hand for tuner screws if needed.

Rgand said:
stratamania said:
BigSteve22 said:
stratamania said:

I've been thinking of getting one because I can find uses for 3/16" cross grain plugs in other places. Then it's on hand for tuner screws if needed.

Not a bad idea if there are other uses for it.

Hi Folks...a quick update. This guitar is now together so stay tuned and I will get some further pictures and updates posted. Probably be tomorrow now as it is quite late this side of the pond...

That’s probably not going to be good for me, I was actually just looking through this thread a couple of days ago to drool over that finish. I am looking forward to your pictures, although my wallet dreads them!

stratamania said:
Hi Folks...a quick update. This guitar is now together so stay tuned and I will get some further pictures and updates posted. Probably be tomorrow now as it is quite late this side of the pond...
Tuned in, and anxiously awaiting!  :glasses9:

Thanks all and as promised here are some more photos. 

Here are the recorded highlights since the last post as some photos were not focussed well enough.

Here is the Stewmac template for the extraction tool.

Tuners0 by stratamania, on Flickr

The end of the bit was successfully removed, a maple plug made from the heel of an old neck that is no longer used. After the maple plug was glued in and dried I used a little CA glue to seal it after trimming it flush with a very sharp chisel.

Bushings fitted.

Tuners3 by stratamania, on Flickr

And the repair under the D string tuner is invisible.

Tuners1 by stratamania, on Flickr

And a front view of the fitted tuners.

Tuners4 by stratamania, on Flickr

Next up some shots of the final assembly work...

Good photos. That headstock looks great. Nice repair on that screw removal.

Now the saga of the tuners is done...

The next job was to fit the LSR roller nut. I pre-lubed the screws and holes with a touch of Behlen's Slideez and armed with a Phillips 0 bit got it fitted.

Final1
by stratamania, on Flickr

Now it was neck fitting time.

Final2

And the neck is initially fitted and screwed into place...

Final3

Lining up the backplate ready for predrilling the screw holes. The last drilling is for this and the strap locks.

Final4

Getting ready to fit the first set of strings onto this guitar.

Final5

The remaining two tremolo springs are now also fitted.

Final6

Now the strings are fitted...

Final7

Almost there...

Final8

And finally, the excess string length trimmed off.

Final9

The next steps have been a truss rod adjustment and so forth. I will let the guitar sit for a couple of days with the strings tuned to pitch and get the final set up done, screw on the backplate and then it is done...

Rgand said:
Good photos. That headstock looks great. Nice repair on that screw removal.

Thanks very much, there were some other photos but the focus was not good enough.

Cagey said:
'Tis a beautiful thing you've built, Mr. Stratamania! Congrats!

Thanks very much, Cagey, appreciated.

Initial findings today even prior to the final set up the NFT Floyd and LSR is a winning combination.

Back