LP vs. LPS

f1badude

Hi Guys:

I'm putting together my spec list now for my second Warmoth build. This time I want to do an all mahogany solid body guitar with a 24 3/4" scale. I really like the look of the LPS but I have one concern. Looking at the photos of the LPS, it looks like the neck pocket is essentially non-existent. The only real mating surface is at the bottom of the neck. I am very much an advocate of bolted necks over glue set necks. But the key to a great joint is having a very tight neck pocket. I'm worried that the LPS design would be a compromise over the LP design given this lack of material surrounding the neck joint. Also, I'm a bit concerned about strength in that area.
I really like the LPS look over the LP but if there are sound advantages to the LP, I may swing in that direction. I have been a huge fan of Hammer guitars since the first time I saw Rick Neilson and I would love to build a guitar to that style.
If anyone has played both or has an LPS and can weigh in to help me make a decision, that would be awesome.

BA

I agree. The LPS joint is weaker. On top of that, the LPS tends to be more neck heavy then the LP. I don't know much else...

Although the neck joint is almost certainly weaker, I've never heard any report of a Warmoth LPS, SG or V body suffering from issues as a result.

I have both a warmoth LP and LPS.  While there is more material around the LP, it does not do much structurally, unless you are actually trying to RIP the neck off is a non-issue.  Look at the WARMOTH V, there is nothing.  you figure most of the tension on the neck is from the strings, pulling up on the neck, not from side to side.  Material around it plays no role.  I have an 80's Jackson soloist that does not have much material around the neck either...neck has not moved an mm.

One advantage the LPS is easier access to the higher frets.  Weight seems the same beween the 2.  Feels smaller than an LP when playing.

May not be that helpful, but the VIPs, Vs, and a few others don't really have a 'pocket' either and you don't hear anybody complaining. Why do you think this is a major issue? The real work is done by the neck bolts anyhow.

My main beef with the LPS is that the switch location is not as good IMO.

Death by Uberschall said:
When assembling, just butt the neck against the body tightly and tighten the mounting screws.

DbU, this is the least-insightful post ever.  "To attach the neck, bolt it on."  :laughing7: :laughing7:

dbw said:
My main beef with the LPS is that the switch location is not as good IMO.

Death by Uberschall said:
When assembling, just butt the neck against the body tightly and tighten the mounting screws.

DbU, this is the least-insightful post ever.  "To attach the neck, bolt it on."   :laughing7: :laughing7:
My point was to butt the neck against the body to reduce the possibility of the neck mounting tab flexing as string tension is applied. This is probably his biggest concern with the LPS. :doh:

dmraco said:
I have both a warmoth LP and LPS.  While there is more material around the LP, it does not do much structurally, unless you are actually trying to RIP the neck off is a non-issue.  Look at the WARMOTH V, there is nothing.  you figure most of the tension on the neck is from the strings, pulling up on the neck, not from side to side.  Material around it plays no role.  I have an 80's Jackson soloist that does not have much material around the neck either...neck has not moved an mm.

One advantage the LPS is easier access to the higher frets.  Weight seems the same beween the 2.  Feels smaller than an LP when playing.

The strength was just a minor concern for me. What I'm most concerned about is any degradation in sustain and/or tone given the reduced area of wood to wood contact. I've only owned stat style guitars and have noticed a strat with an extremely tight neck pocket fit does have a noticeably better tone and sustain than one with a loose fit.
dmraco, I was hoping someone who had both styles would pick up on the thread. Do you see any noticeable difference in sustain or tone between the two?

BA

I've never really noticed a correlation, I think it's cool when they're snug in there but my most resonant guitar has a loose fit, and the one I sold because it was just a bit dead, relatively speaking, had a tighter pocket than a (insert virgin-type joke here). I tend to think once you've two nice resonant pieces of wood and bolt them together solidly, your work is done. After all, that's why we don't all insist on neck-throughs, right?

f1badude said:
dmraco said:

The strength was just a minor concern for me. What I'm most concerned about is any degradation in sustain and/or tone given the reduced area of wood to wood contact. I've only owned stat style guitars and have noticed a strat with an extremely tight neck pocket fit does have a noticeably better tone and sustain than one with a loose fit.
dmraco, I was hoping someone who had both styles would pick up on the thread. Do you see any noticeable difference in sustain or tone between the two?

BA

I would say the LPS is better.  But it is not a good comparison.  The LPS has a black Korina body, the LP is Mahogany.  Both have flame maple tops and flame maple/rosewood necks.  The LP has a wilkinson whammy, and LPS has a Gotoh 510.  Pickups are DiMarzio Beed/Evo Neck on the LPS and diMarzio Evo Bidge/Evo Neck on the LP.  I finished them both my self.  The LP is nitro, the LPS is poly.

I will say my LPS has the MOST sustain of any guitar I have played.  The folks at the local Sam Ash were drooling over the tone it produced.

Dude...bottom line is both are great!  Go with the looks and feel you like the best.  I did the same thing when I build my soloist with a Wizard neck.  I was worried there was not enough material on the thin wizard profile.  Needless to say I worried about nothing.

I enclosed a photo of both...try not to drool on your keyboard.

I would say the LPS is better.  But it is not a good comparison.  The LPS has a black Korina body, the LP is Mahogany.  Both have flame maple tops and flame maple/rosewood necks.  The LP has a wilkinson whammy, and LPS has a Gotoh 510.  Pickups are DiMarzio Beed/Evo Neck on the LPS and diMarzio Evo Bidge/Evo Neck on the LP.  I finished them both my self.  The LP is nitro, the LPS is poly.

I will say my LPS has the MOST sustain of any guitar I have played.  The folks at the local Sam Ash were drooling over the tone it produced.

Dude...bottom line is both are great!  Go with the looks and feel you like the best.  I did the same thing when I build my soloist with a Wizard neck.  I was worried there was not enough material on the thin wizard profile.  Needless to say I worried about nothing.

I enclosed a photo of both...try not to drool on your keyboard.
[/quote]

Dude, I am sold. Thanks.
Both of those are frickin' awesome but definitly the LPS is my fave.

BA

Back