LP Toggles

bonesofwrath

So it seems the state of LP toggles is bad enough that even Switchcraft is junk anymore. Imports appear to be below 50% good parts. Even my Schecter factory switch is bad, as is my import and genuine switchcraft.

Are the enclosed box toggles more reliable? If I get one working, can you adjust the tension?
I may just have to duplicate my pickguard and stick a blade switch in there. (Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder)

Wow. Got a Switchcraft one a year ago and it’s great. What’s the premise for your revelation?

Certain you’re getting the real deal and not a knock off?

I feel your pain. The toggle switch I ordered from Warmoth for my last build was so bad it was pretty much falling apart in my hands before I could even do anything with it. I ended up getting a Switchcraft from StewMac that, thankfully, is at least 100 times better.

My ESP E-II Eclipse that I bought maybe 2-3 years ago is an absolutely beautiful guitar - other than the sloppy, scratchy 3-way toggle switch!

I'm not sure what to suggest ... :cautious:

My "Genuine" switchcraft was purchased some time ago on Amazon. So .. i may be a slow learner but they're slightly less reputable than eBay IMO at this point.

Definitely not looking for an 18 wheeler transmission shifter. This is a two humbucker series only 3 way toggle.

Nah … it’s the usual plus three bonus settings, or you can have just the usual three, but most importantly it’s robust. It woks great, Check it out,you’ll be happy. It’s something rugged and elegant. Don’t knock it till you try for yourself.

I decided to try a sealed toggle before forking over $30-$60 for a switch. I'm all for quality parts but $60 for a toggle is about 2x past the already nutso price for a Switchcraft. Its not a mini but its a 1/2"" hole for scale

I suspect and hope these are a bit stiffer than your average LP toggle. On this guitar it's kind of in the way. I may still end up making a duplicate pickguard and either using abblade switch or relocating the toggle out of the way a bit

61IIm8gyuML._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

The Dimarzio #EP1111 (The Petrucci switch) is nearly $40 USD, but well worth it. It also affords a plethora of diverse wiring such as inner coils only on the center position. It has a low profile, very robust/sturdy. Only problem is that I have only ever found it in chrome. Can’t seem to find it in black or gold when needed.

That switch is not a mini - but it is a short lever. It's not super stiff but is less than overly toggles which came with the guitar and I feel is a bit more suitable to the close proximity position the SVSS puts it at. At least taking the pickguard off isn't such a pain with a floyd.

Finally got it wired up and I like it. It's definitely an improvement for the location. Robustness remains to be seen but it certainly feels solid. Not so stiff that it'd be bothersome while playing but between the slightly stiffer spring and and the shorter lever I don't seem to hit it while playing

IMG_20231111_202044810.jpg

Last edited:
The Dimarzio #EP1111 (The Petrucci switch) is nearly $40 USD, but well worth it. It also affords a plethora of diverse wiring such as inner coils only on the center position. It has a low profile, very robust/sturdy. Only problem is that I have only ever found it in chrome. Can’t seem to find it in black or gold when needed.
I put that switch in my ESP M-II and I absolutely love it. I hated the LP style switch it came with.

So it seems the state of LP toggles is bad enough that even Switchcraft is junk anymore. Imports appear to be below 50% good parts. Even my Schecter factory switch is bad, as is my import and genuine switchcraft.

Are the enclosed box toggles more reliable? If I get one working, can you adjust the tension?
I may just have to duplicate my pickguard and stick a blade switch in there. (Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder)
I've definitely had issues with the 3 way toggles. I had a Switchcraft one that was junk and one of the thin blades just snapped off. If anyone has a source for solid well built ones, let me know.

Back